PDA

View Full Version : Engine + VSA Limp Mode Problem

sceuro
06-05-2014, 07:07 PM
Hi All,

My 04 euro automatic standard has serious problems.

It's done 248,000km's, and the problems are:

- At idle the engine is very rough making the bonet shake can hear it vibrating in the car
- engine + VSA light comes on and the car goes into limp mode (after OBII reader it said throttle response error) so the mechanic changed the top throttle control black box unit on the top LHS or RHS depending where you're standing...although it's a second hand part I can't have got two faulty parts in a row? Yes we replaced the part twice.
- When accelerating it all sounds like it has a blocked nose and doesn't freely rev past 4000rpm easily, and if it does, goes into limp mode with the engine + VSA light coming on.
- Usually happens on highway when cruising above 80km/hr and I have to pull over and restart the car.

Fuel cap is tight and not broken.

What could this be?

Engine is very rough, it's been serviced well and even after new oil, trans oil etc the problem persists.

Will I need to change the whole throttle bottle unit attached to the engine and air filter? That's very costly and according to my mechanic is very unusual.

Please offer advice.

sceuro
06-05-2014, 07:10 PM
Could it be that he has not reset the ECU properly? he disconnected the negative terminal for a while is this the correct way? Cause maybe the issue is fixed just the ECU needs resetting?

One more point:

- When I started the car it can go into limp mode if haven't started for a few days. The fumes coming from the exhaust is very strong and I can smell it instantly from the front of the car....

Something is wrong - and I don't feel its the throttle fly by wire box or whatever.

curtis265
06-05-2014, 07:11 PM
try reset again.

If it comes up, then get a OBD2 scnaner and find out what the code is.

OBD scanners can be had very cheap on eBay - see the code for yourself.

i suspect the TPS isnt calibrated properly

if the exhaust smell is strong it's proably running rich and dumping fuel in, because it thinks your throttle is open big.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/diy-honda-civic-engine/222443-diy-throttle-body-calibration-procedure.html

sceuro
06-05-2014, 07:20 PM
TPS isn't calibrated properly? How do I reset the ECU?

Should I buy a new TPS sensor? Are they easy to install? I see them on ebay for under 50 bucks?

grifty
06-05-2014, 07:28 PM
condition of the battery? whats the voltage of it with the car off?

sceuro
06-05-2014, 07:33 PM
new battery...can't be that. I don't know the voltage.

sceuro
06-05-2014, 07:58 PM
How do I reset ECU properly? I read differing comments

curtis265
06-05-2014, 10:30 PM
if ur voltage is low, it can bugger up the sensors which is why grofty asked.

to reset ECU, take the negative terminal off the battery for ~10min and then let it idle for a while when you plug it back to let the ECU self learn a bit

sceuro
07-05-2014, 10:58 PM
Ok.

So I bought a Honda Accord Euro Throttle Body on ebay with 12 month waranty from JJ Auto Parts for 200, it comes with all the sensors on it all in working order. Do you guys know what these sensors on the throttle body is called its the metal unit between the engine and the air filter intake hose is. My mechanic will install it (he doubts its that part he still wants to replace that black box on the top corner the Drive By Wire box i believe it's called?)

My strategy is this:

Get the Throttle body installed (since i have 2 drive by 2nd hand drive by wire units installed already both with the same result hence me thinking it's the throttle body).

If that doesnt work, ill try the 3rd throttle drive by wire box on the top right hand corner of the engine (I think people call this the ADP Sensor or Electronic Throttle Control Unit which is 300 new from Honda, 200 second hand).

OR

Should i install both on saturday (but keep the 2nd throttle control box i have in there now just in case the new 3rd throttle control box is brocken)

Sorry for the confusion but this stresses me out as i travel far and i had to stop over on highways just to restart the engine.

curtis265
08-05-2014, 09:13 AM
that's called a MAF sensor.

Have you checked the throttle body calibration yet?

sodaz
08-05-2014, 09:22 AM
Sounds like the TPS has not been installed/calibrated properly. Have they tried resetting the ECU?

The best thing to do is to take it to another experience Honda mechanic to have it thoroughly checked.

sceuro
08-05-2014, 06:51 PM
that's called a MAF sensor.

Have you checked the throttle body calibration yet?

What is the process for throttle body calibration???

sceuro
08-05-2014, 06:53 PM
How is a TPS not installed properly, he connected it up like it was before and left the negative terminal out so the ECU resets? What else is there to do apart from that?

curtis265
08-05-2014, 06:56 PM
What is the process for throttle body calibration???

try reset again.

If it comes up, then get a OBD2 scnaner and find out what the code is.

OBD scanners can be had very cheap on eBay - see the code for yourself.

i suspect the TPS isnt calibrated properly

if the exhaust smell is strong it's proably running rich and dumping fuel in, because it thinks your throttle is open big.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/diy-honda-civic-engine/222443-diy-throttle-body-calibration-procedure.html

as above