PDA

View Full Version : Need a spare key. Where do I start?

mryangtastic
20-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Hi ozhonda!

So I need a spare key for my ep3.

I know that previously a locksmith would make one up that had fat ass plastic but since the ep3 is special :), I want an OEM one or one with a red badge.

Where do I start looking?

If I buy a oem blank off eBay, will a locksmith be able to cut it and code it for me?

I'd like to know what you guys have done too.

sensei_
21-05-2014, 12:01 AM
First of all find someone who will be willing to cut one for you if you supply blank. Many locksmith refuse to do so. Some may do it, but at a highly inflated price, and no responsibility taken.

Secondly, you may want to find out what transponder is in the key. Can it be programmed yourself, or is it clone able?

I have done a few Honda keys (including the EP3) before, and my methods is a hit/miss. Programming the keyless entry is very straight forward. Programming the immobiliser is a major PITA but not impossible ;)

curtis265
21-05-2014, 09:51 AM
I tried to supply a blank

but they couldn't code it.

wasted like $30. lol.

The guy was nice enoug to charge me only for the cutting though

mryangtastic
21-05-2014, 06:45 PM
Don't tell me my only option is the big fat spare key. :(

sensei_
21-05-2014, 09:53 PM
I tried to supply a blank

but they couldn't code it.

wasted like $30. lol.

The guy was nice enoug to charge me only for the cutting though

what car was this? older honda's are a piece of cake to program.

Don't tell me my only option is the big fat spare key. :(

nah. you should be able to get it done. depends on how much money you want to spend.

if you want to do it cheaply, then you need to do some homework yourself (finding out the type of key and transponder type)

mryangtastic
21-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Car is a 2005 Civic Type R.
I'm prepared to pay up to $150.

sensei_
21-05-2014, 10:17 PM
How many key you currently have, and how many you want?

From what I can see, you might be in luck because I reckon I can clone the chip without even looking at the car.

mryangtastic
22-05-2014, 07:17 AM
Currently have one key looking to have at least one spare.

curtis265
22-05-2014, 10:51 AM
what car was this? older honda's are a piece of cake to program.

nah. you should be able to get it done. depends on how much money you want to spend.

if you want to do it cheaply, then you need to do some homework yourself (finding out the type of key and transponder type)

was for my s2000

if you know anything pls let me know.

sensei

teach me

sensei_
22-05-2014, 10:57 AM
Damn. To confirm if I can clone the chip, I will need the key, and that means sending me the key to Perth, which is never going to happen since its your only key.

RenzokukenJ
22-05-2014, 10:59 AM
How many key you currently have, and how many you want?

From what I can see, you might be in luck because I reckon I can clone the chip without even looking at the car.

I would also like to know if I can get one for the preludes :p

sensei_
22-05-2014, 11:08 AM
was for my s2000

if you know anything pls let me know.

sensei

teach me

For S2000 its 50/50. Some models were clone able, other models had a whole new chip inside that was not clone able. If you want, I will need a spare key, and the blank, I will run it through my machine to determine what chip you have.

prelude should be same as mine. ie. cloneable :)

how many you want, and do you have a good condition key for me to duplicate of? in my experience, valet keys are the best because they are seldom used. but if you have the red key, thats even better because no one ever uses them.

cbauto
22-05-2014, 11:13 AM
pm mocchi, i think he got machine to do it.

RenzokukenJ
22-05-2014, 11:14 AM

how many you want, and do you have a good condition key for me to duplicate of? in my experience, valet keys are the best because they are seldom used. but if you have the red key, thats even better because no one ever uses them.

I only have 1 black key lol

Shall we discuss in pm? :)

curtis265
22-05-2014, 11:15 AM
For S2000 its 50/50. Some models were clone able, other models had a whole new chip inside that was not clone able. If you want, I will need a spare key, and the blank, I will run it through my machine to determine what chip you have.

where are you located?

sensei_
22-05-2014, 11:22 AM
I only have 1 black key lol

Shall we discuss in pm? :)

clear your inbox mate. tried to PM you.

where are you located?

NOR. PM sent.

RenzokukenJ
22-05-2014, 11:57 AM
clear your inbox mate. tried to PM you.

NOR. PM sent.

Cleared!

Dyln.bxtr
26-05-2014, 09:25 AM
I'm not sure if true, but I've heard of guys getting keys programmed and cut, then just swapping them into a new casing at a key cutter in shopping centre.

integraR
26-05-2014, 09:26 AM
I don't think the ep3 has the chip/immobiliser for their keys

ECU-MAN
26-05-2014, 11:00 AM
valet keys are the best because they are seldom used. but if you have the red key, thats even better because no one ever uses them.

Good idea about the valet key however you will create yourself a world of pain if you clone the red key. If the customer tried to use a clone of the red key it could potentially wipe all immobiliser programming and result in the car need reprograming from the dealer.

RenzokukenJ I can program/clone Prelude keys as well if required, I can also make you a red key replacement if you have lost it so you can go to the dealer in the future for normal key programming.

You all need to remember with cloning lost keys can still start the car as it is a copy of a working key, with reprogramming lost/stolen keys can be programmed out to no longer start the car as all keys are unique.

sensei_
26-05-2014, 11:26 PM
Good idea about the valet key however you will create yourself a world of pain if you clone the red key. If the customer tried to use a clone of the red key it could potentially wipe all immobiliser programming and result in the car need reprograming from the dealer..

i would only get the notches off the red key, never would attempt to clone one though. red key = as good as brand new with zero wear to the blade.

ECU-MAN
27-05-2014, 09:34 AM
Yes.. Reading your post it seems like you would have just used the red key to make a key to start the car which is impossible. Thanks for the extra info.

sensei_
27-05-2014, 07:37 PM
Yes.. Reading your post it seems like you would have just used the red key to make a key to start the car which is impossible. Thanks for the extra info.

reading back on my previous post, i really could have been clearer.

Nemish
04-07-2014, 04:37 PM
I'm going through the same ordeal of sorting out a spare key for my CL9. After hitting a few hurdles this is what I would do if you don't want to go to the dealer:
1. Find out what the Honda part number for a replacement key is. Easiest way to do this is to call your nearest Honda parts department and give them your VIN. I bought an OEM key off ebay but it turned out the key was for the CM5 wide body accord, even though the key housings are pretty much identical. A bit of googling and you should be able obtain a new key cheaper than the dealer (who wanted $200+ in my case).
2. Find a good locksmith\key cutter, preferably one recommended by your mechanic. While poorly cut key can open your doors, the tolerances are much lower for the ignition barrel. Good thing is you can get new metal 'blanks' quite cheaply if the cut isn't quite up to scratch.
3. I understand some dealers will be able to program a key for you for a fee. Some key cutting places do immobiliser programming, but what they are actually doing is cloning your existing key. I was told as the 'proper' way is to 'add' a new key that your immobiliser accepts by using a mechanics OBD scanner tool (don't ask me which one). Up to you which is better.
4. Keyless entry programming should be able to be done when you do the immobiliser programming. There are few good how-to guides on the internet and YouTube for the accords if you want to do it yourself. Civics shouldn't be any more difficult.

Finally I will say that the best place to start to talk to your mechanic. I imagine the process would be fairly similar for most cars and it would be reasonable to assume a decent mechanic shop would be able to do all of the above steps except no. 1. Mine are able to do steps 2, 3, and 4 for the cost of the key cutting so long as I supplied the correct blank key.
Good luck!