PDA

View Full Version : Nsx compression loss

vtecmakesmewet
22-05-2014, 06:04 PM
My nsx engine is making a weird tapping sound on cold starts - but she performs her dailty duties like aboss - help??....

Jasemas
22-05-2014, 06:08 PM
But you're thread says
'compression loss'?

lolmclol
22-05-2014, 06:11 PM
pm amant02 or his brother WATAJK

amant02
22-05-2014, 06:26 PM
Lol wtf

Stevil
22-05-2014, 06:32 PM
have you have your Valve clearance checked ? my motor started clicking back in February and the 50kms later a conrod spat a hole in the block ! lol

RenzokukenJ
22-05-2014, 06:37 PM
have you have your Valve clearance checked ? my motor started clicking back in February and the 50kms later a conrod spat a hole in the block ! lol

I highly doubt that it was the valve clearance that did that to your block.

Especially since you said the first time you blew an engine it was from too much boost, and another time being byp, could all be the same time and you changing your stories, not sure.

Jasemas
22-05-2014, 06:56 PM
I highly doubt that it was the valve clearance that did that to your block.

Especially since you said the first time you blew an engine it was from too much boost, and another time being byp, could all be the same time and you changing your stories, not sure.

Ooooooooooo jimmy went there

Stevil
22-05-2014, 08:28 PM
Sorry should have seperated the 2 comments, have they been checked ? valves can get noisy. My 2nd comment was a tickin motor shouldnt be ignored lol, been there. Thanks Renzo, too much torque can bend a rod, I was happy enough to explore the limits of the eco R18a, found it and Ive backed off. Now none of the Yanks were running E85 daily so info was short on detail as to how these motors handle the extra 15% torque all the time, happy to share my experience, go ya hardest B-)

Renzo 1st motor died after 20+ trackdays, towing a fishing boat up and down the coast most weekends and 125,000km, I was stoked it got that far seriosuly, 2nd motor blew a rod after boost was upped, stock rod failed after a 30C + trackday at the creek, around 350nm proved too much 5days later.

RenzokukenJ
22-05-2014, 08:49 PM
Sorry should have seperated the 2 comments, have they been checked ? valves can get noisy. My 2nd comment was a tickin motor shouldnt be ignored lol, been there. Thanks Renzo, too much torque can bend a rod, I was happy enough to explore the limits of the eco R18a, found it and Ive backed off. Now none of the Yanks were running E85 daily so info was short on detail as to how these motors handle the extra 15% torque all the time, happy to share my experience, go ya hardest B-)

Renzo 1st motor died after 20+ trackdays, towing a fishing boat up and down the coast most weekends and 125,000km, I was stoked it got that far seriosuly, 2nd motor blew a rod after boost was upped, stock rod failed after a 30C + trackday at the creek, around 350nm proved too much 5days later.

None of the times you blew these rods make any sense as to why they actually blew...

But anyway, could also be tappets? If so, ignore. I've had my ticking motor for a very long time, and no rod has been spat.

Torell
22-05-2014, 09:03 PM
could be the petrol in the tank atm, causing pinging?

Stevil
22-05-2014, 09:09 PM
dude its clear to me !, and I blew only 1 rod, bearing in the first, the R18 wasnt designed to have its kw's and Nm more than doubled, its at $19,990 car ! . I recently had a valve adjusted on my bike, less than 1000kms on the motor, and yeah I could hear it.

RenzokukenJ
23-05-2014, 10:10 AM
dude its clear to me !, and I blew only 1 rod, bearing in the first, the R18 wasnt designed to have its kw's and Nm more than doubled, its at $19,990 car ! . I recently had a valve adjusted on my bike, less than 1000kms on the motor, and yeah I could hear it.

Civics, integras and preludes are less then 20k, all can take the beating. I still don't see where you are coming from..

u mad?
23-05-2014, 10:52 AM
check the engine valve tube

EKVTIR-T
23-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Civics, integras and preludes are less then 20k, all can take the beating. I still don't see where you are coming from..think he means its an economy engine kinda like a d series,so when you boost it hard and produce a large power/torque increase something is bound to break

i knew one lad who boost his d series' with huge boosts for fun and went through about 10 motors flogging the shit out of them coz they cheap as chups

his workshop had heaps of old d's with holes in blocks lol

curtis265
23-05-2014, 05:40 PM
think he means its an economy engine kinda like a d series,so when you boost it hard and produce a large power/torque increase something is bound to break

i knew one lad who boost his d series' with huge boosts for fun and went through about 10 motors flogging the shit out of them coz they cheap as chups

+1 ability to interpret A+++

RenzokukenJ
23-05-2014, 05:48 PM
think he means its an economy engine kinda like a d series,so when you boost it hard and produce a large power/torque increase something is bound to break

Ah I see.

The problem is though, I would assume that lower compression engines would take the boost a lot better than the higher compression engines, assuming that the R18 engines are low compression.

No doubt that something would break when pushed beyond its limits though I'm sure, maybe the way he worded his post was hard to understand.

Baby Face
01-06-2014, 04:15 PM
Ah I see.

The problem is though, I would assume that lower compression engines would take the boost a lot better than the higher compression engines, assuming that the R18 engines are low compression.

No doubt that something would break when pushed beyond its limits though I'm sure, maybe the way he worded his post was hard to understand.

compression isnt that low. its still more than 10:1 im pretty sure.
either way, it all depends on how good a quality the bits are, and they are average.