PDA

View Full Version : 9th Gen Civic Hatch - is it really that bad?

denot
27-05-2014, 09:52 PM
Hi guys,

Just wondering how come we dont see any 9th Gen Civic hatch owner here in ozhonda forum...

Is it because the car was so bad?

Wife wants to trade in our Veloster for it because our 3rd baby is on the way.

Thanks

Honda_FD
27-05-2014, 10:57 PM
Hi guys,

Just wondering how come we dont see any 9th Gen Civic hatch owner here in ozhonda forum...

Is it because the car was so bad?

Wife wants to trade in our Veloster for it because our 3rd baby is on the way.

Thanks

Whats a 9th Gen Hatch?
Never Seen/Heard of it before?

I've seen 9th Gen Sedans.. Never a Hatch

That?

http://gencache.digitaldealer.com.au/image/279579182531d4ffee5689271987358_0_0-c.jpg

curtis265
27-05-2014, 11:02 PM
well that's cos they're pretty ugly looking and not many people are interested in modifying them

plus folks don't come here to look for baby seats too.

antony
28-05-2014, 09:32 AM
The current Civic hatch is very unpopular ,the sedan seems to be selling much better,maybee check out the sedan version...

denot
28-05-2014, 10:28 AM
Whats a 9th Gen Hatch?
Never Seen/Heard of it before?

I've seen 9th Gen Sedans.. Never a Hatch

That?

http://gencache.digitaldealer.com.au/image/279579182531d4ffee5689271987358_0_0-c.jpg

Yes thats the one. Strangely I found that more people are driving the hatch (pictured) compare to the Thai built sedan...

And yeah, because its UK made, even Mugen doesnt want to touch it...

nedkerry
28-05-2014, 10:55 AM
The front looks ok - I think they could look really nice with some cosmetic mods.
Not a fan of the back or the interior. In general, the 9th gen dash kinda look like they're tailored for pensioners. A rep at my local Honda mentioned that Honda were planning on either updating the dash or centre console, soon, to make it look better.

destrukshn
28-05-2014, 11:16 AM
I got one here.
I like them, not for the performance though.
good family car if need be.
massive boot, lots of space, and very versatile.
good for what it is and the price it's at I reckon.

Honda_FD
28-05-2014, 12:25 PM
@Denot Tell your wife to wait for the new Civic Hatch Turbo!
Be one of the first to get one!

*DAN*
28-05-2014, 01:29 PM
They're decent cars, was choosing between sedan and hatch and ended up going with the sedan. crappy day time running light strips put me off. That and lack of aftermarket support compared to sedan

denot
28-05-2014, 04:18 PM
@destrukshn: do you think 2 car seats and a booster fit ok on the 2nd row?
@Honda_FD: They new Type-R? I can only wish mate... :)
@*DAN*: How did you find the Sedan? Is the build quality ok?

EKVTIR-T
28-05-2014, 04:24 PM
why are you going for hatchbacks to carry 2 kids?

what about midsize sedans or even FG falcons are good value lately

Grayfox
28-05-2014, 06:35 PM
Yes thats the one. Strangely I found that more people are driving the hatch (pictured) compare to the Thai built sedan...

And yeah, because its UK made, even Mugen doesnt want to touch it...

Not true.

Ever hear of the mugen M20 and M200?

Once the type R comes out they will do something wild.

They are not that bad.

The hatchback is more practical than the sedan due to its large boot space.
Not as common as the sedan, but when modded in the right way they can look bloody good.

*DAN*
28-05-2014, 06:52 PM
@*DAN*: How did you find the Sedan? Is the build quality ok?

Depends on your standards really, I honestly thought it could've been a lot better compared to the 8th gen civics or any of its other competitors at the time ( BL mazda 3 etc). In my opinion its only decent. That said the design of the cabin is quite nice. Works really well imo, easy to read and all.
Driving position is nice as well

denot
28-05-2014, 09:50 PM
why are you going for hatchbacks to carry 2 kids?

what about midsize sedans or even FG falcons are good value lately

Hahaha, wife will be the one that drive it for most of the time. She prefer something small but not too small for 3 kids :)

destrukshn
28-05-2014, 10:11 PM
itnwould be a tight squeeze with 2 car seats and a booster.
but it depends on the seat sizes too.

Honda_FD
29-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Best family car I would recommend is something from Toyota.
Hands down the new Aurion or Camry. Or even a Corolla. I love Corollas.
Dont know about having 3 kids in a Corolla though. Corolla Sedan looks good. But would prefer hatch

EKVTIR-T
29-05-2014, 05:26 PM
have you consider dualis?

denot
29-05-2014, 09:11 PM
Thanks all for the recommendation... But we've already got a CX9 for big family car. Wife wants something small so she can drive to pickup my eldest at his Kindy (where parking space is next to impossible)

Grayfox
30-05-2014, 04:45 PM
Thanks all for the recommendation... But we've already got a CX9 for big family car. Wife wants something small so she can drive to pickup my eldest at his Kindy (where parking space is next to impossible)

Then get a jazz.

The civics have poor rear visibility.
Even with a reverse cam it is not that good

denot
30-05-2014, 04:51 PM
Then get a jazz.

The civics have poor rear visibility.
Even with a reverse cam it is not that good

Yeah mate, exactly what I told her... But then again, maybe I should wait till end of this year for the new Jazz?

Grayfox
30-05-2014, 04:53 PM
A used one will do fine or even a city if she wants a sedan type shape.

stevo1210
01-06-2014, 09:34 PM
The current Civic hatch is very unpopular ,the sedan seems to be selling much better,maybee check out the sedan version...

I dunno what Melbourne's like, but no one here seems to buy the Civic Sedan. Civic hatch on the other hand gets sold in droves. I can see why though, the hatch is so much better interior wise and feature wise too. 9th gen sedan is just bland inside and out. I'd get Corolla sedan over Civic sedan tbh.

Grayfox
01-06-2014, 11:11 PM
The civic hatch is quite popular in the gong.

nkoulban
08-06-2014, 03:50 PM
The civic hatch makes sense if you want the look of a coupe with hatchback practicality. It offers 5 seats, magic seats, big 400 Ltr boot and to my eye good looks. The recent styling tweaks have been a backward step though. There are some quirks with the hatch that will be deal killer for some. For me it's a much more appealing car than the sedan, so much so I bought one.

antony
08-06-2014, 03:56 PM
I would seriously check out the brand new Corolla sedan,its very practical as has a massive boot and fantastic rear seat legroom,both areas win over my Euro.

nkoulban
08-06-2014, 07:07 PM
The 'rolla is a safe and practical buy, and the new sedan is as big as an early gen Camry. My issues with it are bland styling, cheap looking interior and CVT auto. My beef with the CVT is that I yet to see one from any manufacturer that lasts as long as a torque converter auto... The planetary box in Toyota hybrids does not count, it's not a CVT, and it's bullet proof. On the strength on this id give this example of automotive Valium a wide berth.

C.I.SIvic
16-06-2014, 11:27 AM
Just picked up one of these (from a DC5 :( ).

Here's my quick review:
- Magic seats are awesome - call it a gimmicky name, but they give you so much more room - I can wheel a small bike in the back, a bigger one with the front wheel off.
- Power is a bit lacking but not too bad compared to other 1.8 etc. Mazda 3 extra torque is noticeable over the civic.
- Gears are really wide (compared to DC5 again lol) but even wider than corolla or mazda 3 imo.
- Build quality is spot on.
- Eco mode needs to be disabled, it make it run like a 1.3l echo.
- Rear visibility takes a bit of getting used to. The B pillar is impossible to get a clean head check - it's huge!
- Back seats seat 2 comfortably, forget about the middle seat as it's raised.
- Rear configuration is excellent with all sorts of anchor points, folding configurations etc.
- Handling is good, less harsh and firm than mazda 3, miles ahead of the corolla which is soft and fluffy.
- (Auto) shifting is superior to all other cars in this class. The 'grade logic' finds the right gears much better than corolla or mazda 3 and the paddle shifters mean you can downshift faster than waiting for the auto.
- Real world fuel consumption is more like 8l/100km combined, and keep in mind it uses 95 so the rolla and mazda 3 win out here. I'm pretty sure it can run 91 but will have to do some more research to be sure - it might just be a uk thing?

mr91wa
19-06-2014, 09:11 PM
I've got one of these as well.

Its probably one of the best featured manual transmission cars for its price ($23,000 back then)

Has all the necessary features that I needed and wanted.
- Bluetooth
- Cruise control
- Alloy rims
- Reverse camera
- Magic seats (these were extremely useful when buying IKEA furniture, carrying around a road bike etc)

And the fact that the next Type R is going to be based on this model means that I definitely made the right purchase in terms of body type.

Grayfox
20-06-2014, 11:49 PM
Just picked up one of these (from a DC5 :( ).

Here's my quick review:
- Magic seats are awesome - call it a gimmicky name, but they give you so much more room - I can wheel a small bike in the back, a bigger one with the front wheel off.
- Power is a bit lacking but not too bad compared to other 1.8 etc. Mazda 3 extra torque is noticeable over the civic.
- Gears are really wide (compared to DC5 again lol) but even wider than corolla or mazda 3 imo.
- Build quality is spot on.
- Eco mode needs to be disabled, it make it run like a 1.3l echo.
- Rear visibility takes a bit of getting used to. The B pillar is impossible to get a clean head check - it's huge!
- Back seats seat 2 comfortably, forget about the middle seat as it's raised.
- Rear configuration is excellent with all sorts of anchor points, folding configurations etc.
- Handling is good, less harsh and firm than mazda 3, miles ahead of the corolla which is soft and fluffy.
- (Auto) shifting is superior to all other cars in this class. The 'grade logic' finds the right gears much better than corolla or mazda 3 and the paddle shifters mean you can downshift faster than waiting for the auto.
- Real world fuel consumption is more like 8l/100km combined, and keep in mind it uses 95 so the rolla and mazda 3 win out here. I'm pretty sure it can run 91 but will have to do some more research to be sure - it might just be a uk thing?

It will run on 91 E10 crap.

I ran my civic on it for a while had minor issues which have gone since using 95.

My main issue was when you push the clutch in the RPM would drop down to 500rpm for a short time then pick up to the normal 775rpm
This made the engine shudder like it was about to stall.
Other issues were when you planted your foot down you will get a medium acceleration then a sudden surge of full(but this could have been the i-vtec)

denot
22-06-2014, 10:09 PM
...I'm pretty sure it can run 91...

Nope, the manual and the Honda website say minimum 95.

Oh and we pick 2014 Mazda 3 SP25 at the end :)

*DAN*
22-06-2014, 10:11 PM
Only the sedans are rated to use e10. Hatches need 95

Grayfox
22-06-2014, 11:04 PM

The fuel door on my car says "E10 Suitable"

The manuals are the same as the ones the UK chaps get.

The ECU maps may be changed a little for the AU market.

denot
23-06-2014, 12:08 AM
The fuel door on my car says "E10 Suitable"

That is the same as when we bought our CU2 back in 2008. After people reporting the pinging problem, they will ask you to bring the car to fix it. The solution? Remove the "E10 suitable" sticker and advise you that CU2 is 95 only

Grayfox
23-06-2014, 10:15 AM
lol.

I guess they had to remove it due to the ACL laws too.

If a salesman said it can run fine on E10 but cant, they then have to refund you if you requested.
And we all know that they dont want that.

curtis265
23-06-2014, 01:31 PM
That is the same as when we bought our CU2 back in 2008. After people reporting the pinging problem, they will ask you to bring the car to fix it. The solution? Remove the "E10 suitable" sticker and advise you that CU2 is 95 only

LOL nice

that's classic

C.I.SIvic
30-06-2014, 08:22 PM

So can you retune it to run 91? It's pretty much identical right? I don't get why it needs 95. Bloody 2014 mazda 3 runs a compression ratio of 13 and runs 91. This thing does 10.5 and needs 95. That's my only gripe so far. I don't mind 95 for my old teg, but this thing?

curtis265
30-06-2014, 10:45 PM
the mazda has direct injection.

Grayfox
01-07-2014, 12:21 AM
So can you retune it to run 91? It's pretty much identical right? I don't get why it needs 95. Bloody 2014 mazda 3 runs a compression ratio of 13 and runs 91. This thing does 10.5 and needs 95. That's my only gripe so far. I don't mind 95 for my old teg, but this thing?

The civic hatch is from the UK and 95 is like a basic fuel.

95 is pretty much their basic fuel.
They get higher octanes in europe.

C.I.SIvic
01-07-2014, 04:16 PM
The civic hatch is from the UK and 95 is like a basic fuel.

95 is pretty much their basic fuel.
They get higher octanes in europe.

Yeah what I meant was if this is the same engine as the sedan, it would be cheaper to run 91. don't get why you would tune to a higher octane and not get any performance benefits.

Grayfox
01-07-2014, 07:57 PM
Yeah what I meant was if this is the same engine as the sedan, it would be cheaper to run 91. don't get why you would tune to a higher octane and not get any performance benefits.

Because they use the UK ECU maps.

stevo1210
02-07-2014, 10:45 PM
Even on a sedan with an e10 compatible ECU, I try to steer away from it because it's not efficient (even though no loss of power) and actually costs more than filling up with 95. Found out the hard way after many years of 11-12L/100KM and straight down to 8-9L/100KM on 95.

Grayfox
02-07-2014, 11:28 PM
Not to mention the fuel lines may not like the ethanol.

cyclone1410
24-08-2014, 06:38 PM
In the process of looking at buying the hatch. Very competitive compared to an i30, Cerato, or 3. Much better than a Corolla, Lancer, or Pulsar.

Honda_FD
24-08-2014, 07:50 PM
In the process of looking at buying the hatch. Very competitive compared to an i30, Cerato, or 3. Much better than a Corolla, Lancer, or Pulsar.

I would personally rather a Corolla to be honest.
Zippy little things they are with awesome handling, Reliable, Value stays the same after a few years and easy to sell in the future.

nkoulban
24-08-2014, 08:18 PM
The 'rolla is a safe buy and should last for ages. I don't like the styling, the look of the dash and the use of a CVT auto. These things are mostly subjective, so each to their own. I think the Civic hatch is an excellent choice at the right price.

Grayfox
25-08-2014, 02:16 PM
Jazz is a OK car too.

With fuel going up, you know it will sell well since it is a eco car.