PDA

View Full Version : are ek9 and dc2r rotors the same??

vrmmmpshhh
19-06-2014, 09:12 AM
hi guys. the car is a ek1 and a few months ago i bought a 5 stud conversion off these forums which included the entire front knuckle/hub assembly. my car already had the poor mans type r upgrade with the 4 stud mini rotors. the new setup did not have any rotors so i bought some used dc2r rotors and they did not fit!!! they do not line up inside the caliper bracket and foul against the back of it. id say about 3-5mm off.

i redrilled my mini rotors to 5 stud and they fit perfectly!!! which is what i have been using the past few months. Yesterday i went to buy new RDA dc2r rotors (RDA478D) and they also did not fit having the same exact problem as the original rotors i bought.

anyone got any ideas? i keep thinking that the rotors are for a prelude or my hub was from a lude.

curtis265
19-06-2014, 09:12 AM
they are the same.

when i bought my bb6 rotors, it said dc2r/ek9 on them.

vrmmmpshhh
19-06-2014, 12:54 PM
so bb6 rotors are the same too??? very strange.. well they definitely do not fit. im almost tempted to make up a spacer between the rotor and the hub face to bring the rotor out 3mm but i dont know how safe that would be. the other option is to machine the caliper bracket.

grifty
19-06-2014, 01:09 PM
could of been a poor mans 5 stud setup by the sounds of it, i think they use the CRV hub and press that in

vrmmmpshhh
19-06-2014, 08:27 PM
hmm so you think i need a crv rotor.. interesting?? might go to u pullit tomorrow and grab a rotor..

dorikin
19-06-2014, 11:35 PM
no, that won't help. he's saying the 5 stud you bought was possibly put together from 4 stud knuckle. But if it was a CRV hub you would've needed 36mm axle to get it working

- check caliper part no. the 17CL number to confirm its DC2R

- check nothing between knuckle and caliper mounting bracket has been modified/shaved

other than that, visually inspect hub/bearings to see if they were recently replaced and measure hub height differences

vrmmmpshhh
21-06-2014, 04:09 AM
the hubs/kunckles did not come with calipers i used my existing 17CL calipers/brackets on it which are unmodified. looks like ill have to search around for any part numbers.

chargeR
21-06-2014, 09:47 AM
the hubs/kunckles did not come with calipers i used my existing 17CL calipers/brackets on it which are unmodified. looks like ill have to search around for any part numbers.

I think this is your problem. My understanding was that the poor man's Type R brake setup required the caliper bracket to be machined approx. 3mm, so that's why a DC2R rotor doesn't fit correctly and your mini ones do. You need a pair of unmodified DC2R caliper brackets to use an unmodified DC2R rotor

vrmmmpshhh
22-06-2014, 01:15 AM
the poor mans type r upgrade does not need the bracket machined if you are using mini rotors. factory mini rotors are 44mm high, ek1 are 45mm high and prelude are 47mm high.

chargeR
22-06-2014, 08:41 AM
the poor mans type r upgrade does not need the bracket machined if you are using mini rotors. factory mini rotors are 44mm high, ek1 are 45mm high and prelude are 47mm high.

Ah okay, I've got no idea then. I'd still try a known good caliper and bracket though.

dorikin
22-06-2014, 12:10 PM
^He already mentioned his caliper and bracket is unmodified and was working on this 4 stud setup

OP: Post up some photos of the 5 stud knuckle and hub you bought

chargeR
22-06-2014, 09:05 PM
^He already mentioned his caliper and bracket is unmodified and was working on this 4 stud setup

Yep, I think it's time for me to stop posting.