PDA

View Full Version : 1998 GLi hatch indicator auto cancel broken

migoreng
02-07-2014, 09:55 AM
Hi guys.

I drove off in the morning and everything was normal. I turned out a side street and the steering was very heavy. I was thinking to myself flat tyre?, cant be...or the power steering fluid leaked out.. I pulled over looked around and everything was good.

Car drove normal afterwards except I noticed the indicators dont auto cancel in both direction. Pretty sure it was fine last night. Did a spring or something break behind the steering wheel?

Im having problems separating the top and bottom steering covers after removing the 3 screws.. dont want to force and break any clips..

any idea?

Thanks.

Jason

ECU-MAN
02-07-2014, 12:17 PM
do you have the standard wheel on ?

on the column shaft is a plastic piece that gets turned by the wheel and cancels the indicator, you need to ensure this is free to turn on the shaft and is allowed to touch the bottom of the wheel for the locating notches to do there work.

you must disconnect the battery for al leats 3min, then undo the bottom wheel cover and unplug the inflator, then undo the two side covers and remove the torx screws on either side. Then the inflator comes off and you can take the wheel off.

here is a link for a Prelude wheel conversion however it may help.
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?42522-DIY-S2000-Stearing-wheel-install-into-97-ATTS-Prelude

migoreng
02-07-2014, 12:28 PM
The car is stock as a rock... thanks. Ill read and see what I can do

migoreng
12-08-2014, 05:35 PM
It works again...I didn't fix anything. . ive been driving for weeks and manually cancelling. ....