PDA

View Full Version : Wheel alligment for Track

JDM DC2R
05-07-2014, 11:25 AM
Hi guys wondering what alignment specs you use on the track.
Camber, toe and caster ?

Cheers

rc_
05-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Mine is something like:

Front
Toe out -1.5mm total
Camber -3 deg

Rear
Toe in +1.5mm each side
Camber -2 deg

Stock castor.

I have tried with more neutral toe, the toe out in front tyres helps initial turn in which I liked better. Next time I will be adding more neg camber if I can get away with it.

Some people run toe out in the rear that will promote a more unstable rear end and maybe reduce understeer, depends on your setup if you like that or not.

ddxgabx
08-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Mine is

Front
Toe out -1mm total
Camber -3 deg

Rear
Toe out -0.5mm total
Camber -2.5 deg

Caster unadjustable.

As mentioned above, i do like the rear to come out a touch under hard braking which makes it easier to exit the corner.

JDM DC2R
10-07-2014, 06:19 AM
I had this setup at wakefeild. I didnt have front camber kit or rear toe kit. Will be adding them in before i go back.
The car was over steering very badly. Couldnt take a corner at any decent speed without the back coming out or putting the power down to keep the back in.

Caster front L + .01 R -0.5
Chamber front L -.5 R-1.3
toe front L +.07 R+.7
Rear chamber -1.7 both
Rear toe L -0.3mm R=1.3mm

rc_
10-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Did you get an alignment before going out to the track?

Your alignment left/right is not even, obviously not ideal for predictable handling.

You don't need a toe kit to adjust front or rear toe although there are kits available. I haven't run out of adjustment yet. Have you checked to see if you have more adjustment available with the stock toe links?

As for camber yes an adjustable upper arm is needed front and rear.

How stiff is your rear arb and springs?

Another thing to consider is your tyres and tyre pressure. First time out in the teg I had problems with rear grip, the tyres were very old toyo t1r. Once I switched to nitro nt01 I got a lot more confidence especially rear stability in corners.

JDM DC2R
10-07-2014, 04:07 PM
Did you get an alignment before going out to the track? yes

Your alignment left/right is not even, obviously not ideal for predictable handling. toe is maxed out, front camber isnt adjustable atm

You don't need a toe kit to adjust front or rear toe although there are kits available. I haven't run out of adjustment yet. Have you checked to see if you have more adjustment available with the stock toe links?

As for camber yes an adjustable upper arm is needed front and rear.

How stiff is your rear arb and springs? Have ebiach lower springs on the rear

Another thing to consider is your tyres and tyre pressure. First time out in the teg I had problems with rear grip, the tyres were very old toyo t1r. Once I switched to nitro nt01 I got a lot more confidence especially rear stability in corners. Will have to replace rear tyres there quite old

EKVTIR-T
10-07-2014, 05:48 PM
Talk to BYP

they have the fastest circuit dc2r in the country for years

rc_
10-07-2014, 05:57 PM
If your toe is maxed out with those settings something sounds wrong.

How low are your springs?

See pic of my adjustment point, plenty of adjustment either way. Mine is lowered on tein s techs on bilstein shocks for reference.

JDM DC2R
10-07-2014, 08:21 PM
yes mines maxed out. Running stiff trailing arm bushes may be the cause.
Eibach lower springs so 20mm drop

rc_
10-07-2014, 09:20 PM
Still sounds strange to me.

Mines got nolathane RTA bushes installed too. They shouldn't really change the geometry. Did the place that did the alignment loosen the bolts holding the RTA bush before trying to adjust the toe?

JDM DC2R
11-07-2014, 06:09 AM
Still sounds strange to me.

Mines got nolathane RTA bushes installed too. They shouldn't really change the geometry. Did the place that did the aligned loosen the bolts holding the RTA bush before trying to adjust the toe?

No. they didnt. I was under the car chatting watching them through the hole alligment.

Cheers mate.

Any ideas for better rear traction though?

rc_
11-07-2014, 07:07 AM
I think you're got the right idea to improve rear stability. I'm not an expert race car driver, but I did have similar issues on the track which I overcame. My thoughts:

1. Proper alignment - get a second opinion on your rear toe adjustment, if still can't be corrected then get adjustable toe link for the rear. More negative camber will help too as previously mentioned so good idea to get the adjustable camber arms.

2. Get better tyres for the track, semi slicks will be the best investment if you have the cash. My nitto's were only $160ea brand new 205/50R15

3. May need to modify your driving style at the track. Hard breaking combined with sharp turn in will promote rear lift, but again if you get better tyres it will become less of a problem. Sounds like from your earlier post you were already experimenting with your style so make some suspension tweaks and try again!

Your suspension setup doesn't sound like it should be a problem to handle ok as long as it is aligned properly.

tRipitaka
11-07-2014, 08:31 AM
What were you tyre pressures like on the day?

shaunKElaser
11-07-2014, 11:02 AM
I use -2.5 camber all round and a little toe in up front. as close to 0 toe in the rear. This is for a DC5 however.

JDM DC2R
11-07-2014, 04:39 PM
30 psi cold.

Cheers guys