PDA

View Full Version : ECU Tuning

EM1187
09-07-2014, 03:30 AM
Hey guys need some more experienced people to help guide me in the right direction regarding a tune/retune. I've got a H22 pulling 143kw atw. It's been tuned previously by the old owner.

I'm looking at upgrading the headers since they are some cheap custom knock offs that seems to be restricting it. Hopefully looking to get more power and also possibly upgrade the injectors. I noticed the car is running rich with all the black dust on my rear bar/boot and also fuel consumption only getting about 350kms on a full 40 litre tank does this seem right?

Tax time is around the corner and I'm keen to get this done asap since I've already lodged my tax return :). In regards to choosing a tuner who/what should I avoid/look for within a tuner? Does telling him the motor specs help? eg. Compression rate, bolt ons applied and internal work?

What prices am I looking at and who are the reputable tuners in sydney? ECU unit is a Hondata S300.
If there is anything else that I can add to help make my decision please let me know.

Hope to hear and get some great feedback from all you experienced people.
Thank you.

bennjamin
09-07-2014, 07:59 AM
Start with Adrian from SAS automotive at silverwater for all these questions and more.

EG5
10-07-2014, 12:32 AM
Adrian @ SAS

EM1187
11-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Thanks guys got a quote off him $880 for a full tune and extra $250 for adjustable cams is this how much it normally is?

dougie_504
11-07-2014, 07:33 PM
How long is a piece of string?

$880 for a full tune is normal. Less for a touch-up job.

All depends on how long you're on the dyno. I've forked out $1,200 for a full day once.

mocchi
13-07-2014, 06:39 PM

All depends on how long you're on the dyno. I've forked out $1,200 for a full day once.

thats crazy expensive for s300 as well?
i thought 1k was expensive lol.

dougie_504
14-07-2014, 04:36 PM
thats crazy expensive for s300 as well?
i thought 1k was expensive lol.

More to do with how much the A-hole charged me for dyno time bro. Wasn't a case of $xxx for S300 tune. I payed for 10 hours of dyno time at $120/hour. Too much...

mocchi
14-07-2014, 04:43 PM
pls do tell who this ahole is. pm if you like, need to know where not to go hehe

lilthug
14-07-2014, 05:27 PM
pls do tell who this ahole is. pm if you like, need to know where not to go hehe

might as well drive up and get adrian to tune it

Torell
14-07-2014, 05:28 PM
whats done to the car to pump out 30% more power?

mocchi
14-07-2014, 05:51 PM
might as well drive up and get adrian to tune it

solid idea

integraR
14-07-2014, 06:09 PM

i believe it something along lines of otrd

mugen_ctr
14-07-2014, 07:07 PM

OUCH! talk about premium price

Just for reference, a full tune for my tuner is only $650 for first tune Hondata or neptune with regards to honda, an that is with a new tune, an that accounts to including cold start tuning, requiring the vehicle to stay over nite if need be and any amount of hours if needed to be tuned

.Dave
14-07-2014, 07:46 PM
^whos ur tuner? Pm me? :)

OP, of course you should tell the tuner about internals, compression and mods so that they can work them to their full advantage

dougie_504
14-07-2014, 08:21 PM

All good, I ended up getting the car road-tuned for less than any price mentioned in here. Car pulls like a freaking train.

mugen_ctr
14-07-2014, 08:37 PM
^whos ur tuner? Pm me? :)

OP, of course you should tell the tuner about internals, compression and mods so that they can work them to their full advantage

done buddy :)

All good, I ended up getting the car road-tuned for less than any price mentioned in here. Car pulls like a freaking train.

Butt dyno are good, so long as u have a good wideband an tuner hahaha, but realistically tuning a car should be done on both a chassis dyno and on the road

lilthug
14-07-2014, 08:39 PM
Does telling him the motor specs help? eg. Compression rate, bolt ons applied and internal work?

yes

full info should be given

tuners are not magicians, and cant magically figure out whats inside
unless they built the motor themselves

full specs rundown will give the tuner the info they need to tune to maximum potential

dougie_504
14-07-2014, 09:08 PM
done buddy :)

Butt dyno are good, so long as u have a good wideband an tuner hahaha, but realistically tuning a car should be done on both a chassis dyno and on the road

Wideband, exceptional tuner, and finished with about two hours on the dyno.

And yeah it helps to have a tuner who has an idea of where to start with the tune according to the specific setup as lilthug has said.

EM1187
14-07-2014, 09:19 PM
Thank you for all the info guys much appreciated.
Unfortunately I have bumped into something before I was about to book in my tune.

Was doing a final check if there were any leaks and etc. I just noticed with my adjustable cam gears, two of the little studs that I think are used to tighten/loosen for the cam adjustment are rounded off :( is there any way around this without purchasing a new set of adjustable cam gears? Is it possible to replace those studs?

dougie_504
14-07-2014, 09:22 PM
It should just be a little alan key bolt or similar
Replaceable likely