PDA

View Full Version : dc2 cluster problem

sondang
23-07-2014, 12:15 PM
Hi guys recently changed my cluster dials but now for some reason my fuel gauge will not read. The pin drops way past E and even when I drive around for a while it doesn't detect a thing. I had a spare one from a working cluster and swapped that in and it still didn't work. So far I made sure that all the connections are plugged and that the screws are in nicely. I even tried position the needle to where the last fuel reading was but it just drops down all the way. Help greatly appreciated! Thanks

*EDIT - I thought I could fix it but turns out my speedometer is off about roughly 10 km/h too high (used a gps to get an estimate). So I'd be doing 60km/h when it actually reads 70km/h. I tried putting the needle in when the car was on idle so that it started off that 0 km/h but still reads 10 higher. My revs seem to be about right tho

cbauto
23-07-2014, 01:23 PM
needles dont reset at zero, resets below zero.

on the speedometer, if there wasn't the pin to hold the needle at zero, the needle will drop below zero.

if you know what i mean

sondang
23-07-2014, 01:30 PM
Oh yeah I mean I placed it where the pin holds the needle, just assumed that was 0. Would different needles have any affect? I might've swapped an older one for a newer one but they're both dc2 vti-r clusters.

Just noticed that theres a slight difference in the needles

http://i58.tinypic.com/123upg4.jpg

The speedometer has a metal pin that raises higher while the revs speedometer has a shorter metal pin. Which needle goes into which dial?

cbauto
23-07-2014, 01:31 PM
you need to place it on below the pin, then lift it over the pin back to zero.

trial and error till you get the km/h right.

up a bit, down a bit, till its right.

have someone next to you with gps

sondang
23-07-2014, 02:07 PM
you need to place it on below the pin, then lift it over the pin back to zero.

trial and error till you get the km/h right.

up a bit, down a bit, till its right.

have someone next to you with gps

Ohh okay I didn't realise it started off below the pin, yep will definitely do that. Thanks! Any ideas on my fuel gauge problem?

cbauto
23-07-2014, 02:08 PM
Ohh okay I didn't realise it started off below the pin, yep will definitely do that. Thanks! Any ideas on my fuel gauge problem?
fill to full, reset needle to full?

cbauto
23-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Hi guys recently changed my cluster dials but now for some reason my fuel gauge will not read. The pin drops way past E and even when I drive around for a while it doesn't detect a thing. I had a spare one from a working cluster and swapped that in and it still didn't work. So far I made sure that all the connections are plugged and that the screws are in nicely. I even tried position the needle to where the last fuel reading was but it just drops down all the way. Help greatly appreciated! Thanks

*EDIT - I thought I could fix it but turns out my speedometer is off about roughly 10 km/h too high (used a gps to get an estimate). So I'd be doing 60km/h when it actually reads 70km/h. I tried putting the needle in when the car was on idle so that it started off that 0 km/h but still reads 10 higher. My revs seem to be about right tho
before i took needles off, i recorded rpm at 30km/h, 50km/h, 70km/h in 3rd gear and same in 4th gear.

sondang
23-07-2014, 03:03 PM
fill to full, reset needle to full?

How do I reset the needle? everytime I adjust the needle and when I start the car it just dips all the way back past E. I'll try filling it up anyway and see how it goes

cbauto
23-07-2014, 03:07 PM
dc2/dc2r fuel gauges usually stay on when ignition is turned off.

sondang
24-07-2014, 12:01 AM
Ah serious? Mine just keeps dipping down below E and I just filled it up today as well. It was working fine before I touched it..

rc_
24-07-2014, 02:12 PM
There is a test for the fuel sender in the manual to test the gauge. Have a search for it on google if you don't have a copy of the service manual.

Did you take the fuel gauge needle off too? Or change the power/grounding or any other wiring to the cluster besides changing the needles?

sondang
24-07-2014, 03:57 PM
There is a test for the fuel sender in the manual to test the gauge. Have a search for it on google if you don't have a copy of the service manual.

Did you take the fuel gauge needle off too? Or change the power/grounding or any other wiring to the cluster besides changing the needles?

Okay thanks for that! Nah just the needle, I even tried putting the original needle with it's cluster and I've tried replacing the fuel gauge with another spare one I had. I'll try the test asap

sondang
25-07-2014, 02:49 PM
So I managed to fix the speedometer until I turned the car off and it dipped all the way past 220km/h and never returned to 0 when I started driving. So I pulled the needle and put it back to 0 above the pin and now it sits at around 20km/h when the car is off (picture below). When I start the car it jacks up to 70km/h and when I drive it acts like that's 0 and gets higher from there

http://i60.tinypic.com/cufdg.jpg

can anyone provide me a step by step solution to this problem to fix it? I tried putting it below the pin and driving, then pulling the pin out and putting it to 0 but that didn't seem to work out. I guess the first time I fixed it was kinda a fluke and it ended up failing anyway. I also managed to download the dc2 service manual for the fuel gauge but I have no idea on how to use that information to fix it, any thoughts?