PDA

View Full Version : Dash light - after install new sound system??

steve-gee
01-08-2014, 06:26 AM
Hi Guys

Just this week I have had a Pioneer system installed in my 4G. Ever since then - the orange engine warning light comes on after about 1 Km of driving?? The guy had disconnected the battery - and I know there's a follow-up procedure to do after that; which involves running the engine in idle for five minutes. Did that - but the damn light still comes on??

Anyone know what the light signals - and how it can be reset? I have some Honda manuals - just haven't had time to check them over yet?

Steve

Grayfox
01-08-2014, 11:13 PM
What is the code?

I assume the 4th gen preludes are OBD-II complaint?
Get a ELM327-bluetooth if you got an android phone or a ELM-327 wifi if you have a apple phone
Get torque if you have an android phone and pull the codes.

If not, follow one of the guides on pulling the codes by using the wire jump method and count the flashes on the MIL light.

steve-gee
02-08-2014, 04:57 AM
What is the code?I assume the 4th gen preludes are OBD-II complaint?
Get a ELM327-bluetooth if you got an android phone or a ELM-327 wifi if you have a apple phone
Get torque if you have an android phone and pull the codes.

If not, follow one of the guides on pulling the codes by using the wire jump method and count the flashes on the MIL light.

Thanks Grayfox - I only have a Sony Experia w/o Bluetooth; wife has a Samsung I guess that might help - but can you explain the Bluetooth process a bit thanks? If not I guess I'm stuck with the wire jump method - must say it sounds a bit confusing??

Cheers

Steve

Grayfox
02-08-2014, 08:12 AM
Older Honda that had OBD-I had two wires under the dash in the footwear that would flash the MIL light to tell you the code
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M5BaAa6tCM.

curtis265
02-08-2014, 12:07 PM
I would suggest taking it back to the installer

steve-gee
02-08-2014, 02:34 PM
I would suggest taking it back to the installer

Yeah - it IS my intention; since they haven't quite finished (one extra pair of Alpine Type R's to go) - I'm just not that confident he'll know what he did wrong?

Steve

steve-gee
02-08-2014, 02:57 PM
Older Honda that had OBD-I had two wires under the dash in the footwear that would flash the MIL light to tell you the code
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M5BaAa6tCM.

Thanks again Grayfox - that made a lot of sense! How does the Bluetooth version go - Julie has it activated on her phone for an earpiece she uses?

Cheers

Steve

curtis265
02-08-2014, 04:00 PM
ignore that bluetooth stuff, those scanners are for cars with the OBDII ports - i can guarantee your 4g lude doesn't have one.

You'll have to use the pin jump method. There's a DIY on this forum for it

amant02
02-08-2014, 04:37 PM
ignore that bluetooth stuff, those scanners are for cars with the OBDII ports - i can guarantee your 4g lude doesn't have one.

You'll have to use the pin jump method. There's a DIY on this forum for it

This is correct. That Bluetooth thing his talkn of is ODB2+.

Use pin method. Could be simple thing like a sensor has been unpluged.

Imma bet on secondary O2 sensor, as you have an engine light and still drive around town fine?

Heres a link. It has a video to explain what to look out for.

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-Read-Codes-From-Your-Check-Engine-Light-Fo/

Jasemas
04-08-2014, 09:19 PM
Your ODBI blue connectot is right behind the cigarete lighter and storage compartment console
You can access it from the drivers side from behind

steve-gee
05-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Your ODBI blue connectot is right behind the cigarete lighter and storage compartment console
You can access it from the drivers side from behind

Thanks Jasemas - haven't got round to it yet - but the car goes back to the audio guys today - I'll see if they have any ideas??

Steve

ECU-MAN
05-08-2014, 10:45 PM
Imma bet on secondary O2 sensor, as you have an engine light and still drive around town fine?

4th gen Prelude does not have a secondary O2, Where do you guys come up with this stuff ?

SCS location for 4th Gen Prelude

http://ecu-man.com/diy/pgmfi/mil/PGMFI-scs-1994-prelude-001.jpg

Grayfox
08-08-2014, 02:38 PM
You can drive around with a MIL light in a OBDI car.
Dont think they had a "Limp Mode" like new cars do when it is a major issue

curtis265
08-08-2014, 02:42 PM
4th gen Prelude does not have a secondary O2, Where do you guys come up with this stuff ?

SCS location for 4th Gen Prelude

http://ecu-man.com/diy/pgmfi/mil/PGMFI-scs-1994-prelude-001.jpg

That's just Amant..

the 5th gen doesn't even have a secondary o2

Jasemas
08-08-2014, 03:06 PM

Ahh no you cannot
3k rpm is your limit good sir when in limp mode
And you'll be running rich rich rich afr

amant02
08-08-2014, 03:17 PM
Pssht Perludes are gay.

Sorry i just assumed that all Honda's had o2 sensors.

natsrsaboutludes.

<3BB6

steve-gee
08-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Ahh no you cannot
3k rpm is your limit good sir when in limp mode
And you'll be running rich rich rich afr

Hmm - OK, well I have seen the light - but able to get WAY over 3k rpm?

Steve

Jasemas
08-08-2014, 08:29 PM
Hmm - OK, well I have seen the light - but able to get WAY over 3k rpm?

Steve

I guess it determines what CEL it is
If it's one to do with emissions or engine management/autobox then it will
I had a transmission computer problem and a CEL 14

ECU-MAN
10-08-2014, 08:45 PM

OBDI certainly goes into Limp Mode,

If you can rev past 4K RPM with the MIL on then you not if Limp Mode, the ECU is just reporting a fault and the main processor in the ECU is active. In limp mode a secondary processor runs a basic map that allows the engine to run with limited sensor input.

Jasemas
11-08-2014, 10:42 AM
I get high in limp mode :P

OT
Did you get the MIL fixed?

steve-gee
11-08-2014, 11:26 AM
Did you get the MIL fixed?

Going to chat with the installer today. The light still comes on - I haven't done any investigation myself (figure they should).

Steve

steve-gee
11-08-2014, 06:36 PM
Going to chat with the installer today. The light still comes on - I haven't done any investigation myself (figure they should). Steve

OK - went to the installer who referred me to a nearby mechanic; who had agreed to take a look for free. Trouble is their lap-top didn't have the correct plug! Never mind - if it's not able to be done by Honda this Friday; I'll do it myself next weekend.

Steve

curtis265
11-08-2014, 07:07 PM
of course it should be free! IF they knocked off a sensor then they better fix it!

Jasemas
11-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Holy **** if theyre that ******* and do not know how to get a code from an odb1 honda ecu (google) then i would not let them near your prelude again

steve-gee
12-08-2014, 06:20 PM
of course it should be free! IF they knocked off a sensor then they better fix it!

It wasn't these guys - I was referred to them by the audio fellas because they didn't have a reader.

Steve

steve-gee
12-08-2014, 06:29 PM
Holy **** if theyre that ******* and do not know how to get a code from an odb1 honda ecu (google) then i would not let them near your prelude again

Yeah well I located the 3 pin connector - and that was the one they tried to plug into. Google says that that is the wrong one - should be 2 pin. Anyway - strangest thing - since I located the 3 pin and pulled out to where it was easy to get at - the MIL has gone away ?? :eek:

Steve

Jasemas
12-08-2014, 10:08 PM
Probably not
Find that blue connector and short it out
See if the ecu still has the cel stored

ECU-MAN
13-08-2014, 07:49 AM
If you shorted the 3pin blue connector and the MIL went away you probably killed your ECU.

Jasemas
13-08-2014, 10:27 AM
Oops :P

steve-gee
13-08-2014, 06:13 PM
If you shorted the 3pin blue connector and the MIL went away you probably killed your ECU.

No - Guys! No-one said anything about shorting it out? :wave:

The mechanic took a look, but was unable to plug his PC into it - because he lacked the correct connector. And I only located the 3 pin plug and moved it to where he could get at it?

Steve

ECU-MAN
13-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Good, you can only use that connector for the a compatible scan tool

steve-gee
18-08-2014, 12:45 PM
Hey Guys

OK - here's the latest. I was finally able to get down to the blue plug - and to my surprise it wasn't a 3 pin - but the 2 pin (really hard for a guy my size to get in close enough to see). Anyway - I could also see what appears to be some mangling of the figure 8 cable and looks like a sleeve over it? This makes me think he has accidentally cut the cable and rejoined it - OR squashed it when he was installing my head unit! :thumbdwn:

So - I used the paperclip on it and got Error code 12. Anyone know that one?

Steve

ECU-MAN
18-08-2014, 02:00 PM
Everything you need to know can be found here

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?67113-DIY-PGMFI-Diagnostics-Codes

steve-gee
18-08-2014, 06:25 PM
Everything you need to know can be found here http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?67113-DIY-PGMFI-Diagnostics-Codes

Thanks ECU - you're a real asset!

Steve