PDA

View Full Version : EP3 front knocking under load

doungtrinh
04-08-2014, 02:03 PM
Hi Guys,

Just after some help, Got an EP3 making some front knocks when turning..

To explain further.. when you move from a stop the front end knocks alot, when your turning it also makes a bit of a knock and when your moving along sometimes the steering wheel shoots to 1 side aswell.
The noise isnt continuous if your going slow its like knock... silence.. knock.. silence if your going fast at like 60 it all sounds rather fine no knock..

* We had the both Axels rebuilt but the issue only slightly fixed itself up,
* We also inspected the wheel bushes and they seem fine.
* I took it to a wheel alignment place who said everything looks okay, but 1 wheel has 2 degree caster difference.
* We had both caster bushes in the Control Arm replaced.
* We then took the axels to another shop for a 2nd inspection, they said they looked to be possibly binding so they rebuilt them again.

After all this we still really arent any closer and the front has a knock to it still from a standing still position.

* If on a hoist going lock to lock it is fine, its only under load that we begin to notice the knocking.

Not to familiar with the EP3, but im kind of confused to what we could do next?

My guess is Steering Rack bushes? or possibly the diff? or steering rack?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

doungtrinh
04-08-2014, 02:14 PM
After doing more research on the topic of Steering rack sliders seem to be of fault in the EP3...

Has anybody had this issue on this forum to relate to what im having could be the same? Ive always had rwd so fwd problems don't compute to easily with me

bennjamin
04-08-2014, 04:37 PM
After doing more research on the topic of Steering rack sliders seem to be of fault in the EP3...

Has anybody had this issue on this forum to relate to what im having could be the same? Ive always had rwd so fwd problems don't compute to easily with me

I'm guessing your car is lowered ?
If so lowering only worsens the steering arm angle and exacerbates any slip or issue with the rack. There are kits to lengthen or raise part of the steering rack to correct this

doungtrinh
04-08-2014, 10:59 PM
I'm guessing your car is lowered ?
If so lowering only worsens the steering arm angle and exacerbates any slip or issue with the rack. There are kits to lengthen or raise part of the steering rack to correct this

I bought it completely standard actually and it looks to be stock height, the noise is really bad it really can only be simulated to kind of saying imagine your wheel was bent 90degrees and you tried to drive its REALLY loud clunks, could it have been the fact the car was previously lowered and that has worn out the part?

Do you have a link to the parts your talking about.. just so i can inspect mine aswell.

bennjamin
05-08-2014, 08:02 AM
I bought it completely standard actually and it looks to be stock height, the noise is really bad it really can only be simulated to kind of saying imagine your wheel was bent 90degrees and you tried to drive its REALLY loud clunks, could it have been the fact the car was previously lowered and that has worn out the part?

Do you have a link to the parts your talking about.. just so i can inspect mine aswell.

here you go mate

https://www.tegiwaimports.com/tegiwa-steering-rack-raiser-civic-ep3-integra-dc5.html

viett
12-08-2014, 08:13 AM
Let me know how the steering raisers go, I just brought some but I'm waiting on new a steering rack.