PDA

View Full Version : anyone use oem honda mtf6 in their lsd box?

vrmmmpshhh
20-08-2014, 08:13 AM
For the type r owners what gearbox oil do you use? I changed from motul 300 to oem honda mtf6 which the honda service rep sold to me and the box immediately started whining on low speed. People online recommend oem honda but its definitely not ok in my ek9 box. I put almost 3l through it and let the excess flow out just to make sure the motul was gone.

bennjamin
20-08-2014, 08:49 AM
For a normal mechanical LSD like the honda - mtf is best. I have no idea why it is whirling now - perhaps the change to the recommended fluid has unmasked an issue/ bad bearing / intolerance .

FYI if you have an clutch type LSD you need fluid with friction modifiers.

vrmmmpshhh
20-08-2014, 09:14 AM
The gearbox was sold to me as being freshly being rebuilt with the bearings replaced and all gears checked. Done by a reputable gearbox place to. Its just a stock ek9 s4c gearbox.

bennjamin
20-08-2014, 09:46 AM
Well if there is noise with OEM rated fluid I point to an internal issue , such as the diff not properly shimmed etc.
There shouldn't be any noise at all. It MIGHT be a little tight on the main shaft or countershaft - if you have the details of the builder get them to check it out, if not get a reputable honda builder to check it.

Send our trader chezz a Pm about this

CLICK HERE (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/private.php?do=newpm&u=41016)

cbauto
20-08-2014, 01:56 PM
Done by a reputable gearbox place to.
Who?

if so reputable, why don't name them so we can all use their reputable service?
\

mocchi
20-08-2014, 06:33 PM
whos this seller or reputable gearbox place? if its making noise with honda mtf, theres something wrong with it.

bennjamin
20-08-2014, 07:57 PM
whos this seller or reputable gearbox place? if its making noise with honda mtf, theres something wrong with it.

OP is posting from Melbourne - but I'll assume it's built by some parts resellers ?