PDA

View Full Version : Heavy duty clutch !!

Integra
10-04-2005, 11:03 PM
hey all just got few questions to ask before i get the new clutch installed!

Just wondering whats so good about these heavy duty clutches? is it more smoother? easier to change gears?
share your experiences if you ever just had it installed?

Thanks

Sp3rMz
10-04-2005, 11:05 PM
**Moved**

And its pretty hard to get use to when you first get it installed. Once you get use to it, its a beaut to drive. Theres really no point of changing clutch to heavy duty of you have no mods to your car.

panda[cRx]
10-04-2005, 11:05 PM
if u dont know then just get a regular clutch

Integra
10-04-2005, 11:12 PM
my stock clutch on my dc2 has finished, want to experience another kind of clutch.
getting this done tumoro morning.

Chi
10-04-2005, 11:16 PM
Just hope you arent getting the stiff ones that are hard ot press down and flick back out straight away.

Otherwise you're going to get ****ing leg cramps in long drives.

Hope you like those experiences.

Sp3rMz
10-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Just hope you dont experience the stiff ones that flick back out straight away.

Exactly what I have. Why waste money on something thats not necessary.

sheepo
10-04-2005, 11:22 PM
whats the point of a heavy duty clutch then? =X i'm assuming that u have a more acurate control of your car..

Chi
10-04-2005, 11:26 PM
whats the point of a heavy duty clutch then? =X i'm assuming that u have a more acurate control of your car..

BWUAHAHHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111oneoneoneone

Yes it does.

|N|
10-04-2005, 11:27 PM
it grips better?

bennjamin
10-04-2005, 11:36 PM
it grips better?

there are different levels of clutch application guys...

ranging from full face OEM style ones , to HD organic , brass button and 6 puck etc etc. Its all over the place.

a normal "HD" clurch will transfer moe relative torque to the wheels ( dont ask me - thats what the claim is ) , feel more responsive and "bite" better. Also it should will result in a heavier push of the clutch pedal.

maxtron
10-04-2005, 11:51 PM
whats the different between have duty, single double and triple plated clutch???

Sp3rMz
11-04-2005, 12:31 AM
I'm guessin durability and a responsitivity. And the most obvious one $$$$

tegstar83
11-04-2005, 12:32 AM
I upgraded to a Extreme HD clutch and its one sweet clutch has plently of bite,and its not so heavy that ull snap ur leg trying to push it although when Ive had long drives for an hour in stop start traffic ur leg kills afterwards but....meh thats what you get for a better clutch over OEM

maxtron
11-04-2005, 12:32 AM
what different can u tell???
in term of driving it

tegstar83
11-04-2005, 12:42 AM
Well its kinda hard to expaline but ur power comes on as soon as u drop the clutch b/c of the grip of the clutch. I really cant tell u much else

Sp3rMz
11-04-2005, 12:46 AM
Bites quick, pressure is harder, friction point is very minimal

Kandy
11-04-2005, 12:54 AM
Well its kinda hard to expaline but ur power comes on as soon as u drop the clutch b/c of the grip of the clutch. I really cant tell u much else

Does that mean you can drop the clutch quite quickly and the car will go into gears quite smoothly? Because at the moment I pretty much have to ride the clutch to get a smooth change... but then again this is my first manual car so maybe I'm just a retard... :o And for some reason I have to push the clutch all the way to the floor to change gears otherwise they grind (anyone else who drives my car pretty much manages to grind it at least once :( )
Sorry if this is highjacking...

maxtron
11-04-2005, 02:44 AM
yeah i know what u mean kandy

is it lighter than the stock ones??? to improve the spins???

SINISTR
11-04-2005, 09:58 AM
Hey all.

a HD clutch will NOT make changing gears smoother, as you cannot Ride the clutch, thats one of the main differances from an OEM clutch.
Because it grips harder, it doesn't allow for slip, so when you take your foot off the clutch to engage the change is sudden and can be Jerky, very rough etc.
Its fun to drive because its very responsive, but after a while you will get annoyed at the uneven gear changes, and it CAN damage your engine mounts if you're constantly doing hard gear changes - because of the fact there is NO slip it simply jerks the engine about in the engine bay.

thats my experience with a HD clutch anyways

maxtron
11-04-2005, 02:06 PM
is it hard to drive daily or do u just get used to it?

wlee2
11-04-2005, 03:59 PM
i previously had a i think exedy HD clutch it was a B&TCH to press down and it did flick up quite fast.. but then again i got it with my car and it was already worn down to a nub =P.. someone mentioned cramps driving it on long trips.. well i never got that but it seems posible =P... . ohh and brass button is pretty good IMO.. but there is NO GIVE..

maxtron
11-04-2005, 08:46 PM
whats the diffeent bewteen brass button and the HD clutch?

wlee2
11-04-2005, 08:48 PM
i thought HD has a easier to find friction point.. Brass button it is almost non existant.. i think.. hehe i dunno actually..

tegstar83
11-04-2005, 09:05 PM
Does that mean you can drop the clutch quite quickly and the car will go into gears quite smoothly? Because at the moment I pretty much have to ride the clutch to get a smooth change... but then again this is my first manual car so maybe I'm just a retard... :o And for some reason I have to push the clutch all the way to the floor to change gears otherwise they grind (anyone else who drives my car pretty much manages to grind it at least once :( )
Sorry if this is highjacking...

Yeah u can drop the clutch and ull have power on tap b/c theres no slip with a HD ( U can get slip at high rpm though) Yes u do get jerky changes as well but if u clutch in and out smoothly that is non existent any way u can get that with a normal clutch anyway so I dont see there being a trade off, also yes u can ride a HD organic clutch but any thing above that ie: brass or ceramic no. Also in regards to pishing the clutch all the way down maybe ur got a leak in the hydraulic system somewhere or u clutch is worn down, of not u can adjust the clutch so that the uptake point is higher mine is a few centimeters from the top.

poid
11-04-2005, 09:08 PM
i have an exedy HD and the pedal feel is exactly the same as stock. It holds a lot more torque however.

Thats the only point of a heavier duty clutch, to hold more torque.

maxtron
11-04-2005, 09:09 PM
does it have to be at a certain rpm to keep it smooth?
if its too low wouldnt it jurk?

tegstar83
11-04-2005, 09:11 PM
whats the diffeent bewteen brass button and the HD clutch?

Theres 3 types of HD clutches they are: Organic,Brass Button, and Ceramic
There all made from different compounds eg: Brass and ceramic as suggested.
Im not sure what a organic clutch has been made with but ill prob say its like the original but with a more abrasive compound this allows the clutch to retain street driveability.

poid
11-04-2005, 09:14 PM
depends how you drive i reckon, feels just like stock to me

tegstar83
11-04-2005, 09:19 PM
i have an exedy HD and the pedal feel is exactly the same as stock. It holds a lot more torque however.

Thats the only point of a heavier duty clutch, to hold more torque.

When I got mine the pedal feel was a little bit more heavier than stock, more direct feel. The stock feel was like something out of a small hatchback.

Sp3rMz
11-04-2005, 09:51 PM
According to my mechanic and few other people i have a "brass button". According to the guy I bought the car from it has excedy "race clutch"Comparing to stock its totally different. Its very very, matter of fact i havent felt a heavier clutch yet, friction point is very very minimal to maybe to an inch or inch and a half and response is almost immeditate. Its very figity and everyone thats driven my car for the first time either stalls it or struggle to get use to it. Keep in mind most people that drive my car dont drive HD usually.

maxtron
11-04-2005, 10:40 PM
hey Tien
let me try one day, i just wanna know how it feel
lol

Sp3rMz
12-04-2005, 01:27 AM
Just step on my clutch and you know what im talkin bout. Before buying my car my left leg was definately weaker then my right. After a year of driving my left leg is definately stronger then my right. Thats how much pressure there is on my clutch. I'm not saying this to be funny but rather being truthful.

You have to be in "a group of selected elites (sess's quote)" to drive my car :p

panda[cRx]
12-04-2005, 05:35 AM
ohh and brass button is pretty good IMO.. but there is NO GIVE..

yeah but how is it if parking and in peak hour start-stop traffic? :rolleyes:

Integra
12-04-2005, 02:52 PM
Just came from N1, got the h/d clutch fitted installed!
much better then the stock clutch! pulls hard, grips and its very sensitive.

Note: Clutch isnt stiff as i though it would be, but it flicks back fast!

ah8118
14-04-2005, 11:44 PM
hehehe good on u mate. as long as you are happy with it! don't mind, but can i ask what clutch u put it and how much was did it set u back including labour?

Integra
15-04-2005, 12:11 AM
Exedy H/D clutch KIT $600
Labour $400

I got it at N-1 Distrubution http://www.n-1.com.au (http://www.n-1.com.au/)
They did a very good job:thumbsup: good luck!

wlee2
15-04-2005, 07:39 AM
']yeah but how is it if parking and in peak hour start-stop traffic? :rolleyes:

i have driven the Brass button many times in peek hour traffic. i seriosly thought my exeddy heavy duty was way way heavier than the brass i have now. then again thats my opinion. ^_^

**Ghost**
15-04-2005, 12:58 PM
i cant believe that was $1000.... goddamn.... $400 bucks worth of labor is frking horrendous... there was a place in Hawthorn that did a brass button + new bearings + labor + new seals + macine the plates..... all for $400 bucks

bennjamin
15-04-2005, 04:14 PM
i cant believe that was $1000.... goddamn.... $400 bucks worth of labor is frking horrendous... there was a place in Hawthorn that did a brass button + new bearings + labor + new seals + macine the plates..... all for $400 bucks

for that price....including labour ? Sounds like that company got the clutch kit for free lol. Even myself and the admins clutch change service , is cheap - not THAT cheap lol

wlee2
15-04-2005, 04:49 PM

you for real gary ? 400 including the clutch ? they give you the clutch installed and all that for 400 ?

you sure its not EURO dollars =P..

thats realy cheap man.. u sure they give you a brass button?

PrahVtec
15-04-2005, 04:53 PM
whats d addy of this place/?? wats it called?

is their job reliable ??

ill fly down der if its 400...

ah8118
15-04-2005, 08:00 PM
wow! if its 400 bux for a brass button clutch + install, count me in!!!! i'll buy 3 sets! last me for the next 3 years!!!!!

**Ghost**
15-04-2005, 11:42 PM
i'm damn sure man... i'mnotgoing there cos i dont knwo the ppl... but my mechanic does it for under $500... seroiusly i'm not PROMOTING ok... but for some things, especially part changes... there reall yis no justification spending so much... how does timing belt change for $150 sound? Or how bout full service, (6 types of fluids) for $150 sound? $1000 bucks for piston swap + port/polish?

tegstar83
15-04-2005, 11:59 PM
i'm damn sure man... i'mnotgoing there cos i dont knwo the ppl... but my mechanic does it for under $500... seroiusly i'm not PROMOTING ok... but for some things, especially part changes... there reall yis no justification spending so much... how does timing belt change for $150 sound? Or how bout full service, (6 types of fluids) for $150 sound? $1000 bucks for piston swap + port/polish?

Pfft this guy is probably using supercheap auto fluids that are crap and will cost u more in the long run. Just fluids for a Honda will cost around $150 so u think about what kinda money he's making. And $150 for belt change??
What??, Is he using a peice of string for the belt??
Theres a saying: What cost u cheap will cost u more in expenses in the long run. Translation: You get what u fkn pay for. Good luck with ur expert mechanic. :rolleyes:

**Ghost**
16-04-2005, 12:15 AM
...... mate u dont know the guy, u havent seen his work so dont make big comments like that k?

He uses Castrol GTX, he gets a Honda Timing Belt brand new...

We all understand that labor is the biggest killer when it comes to fixing/modding our cars... Mechanics charge a lot cos of "lost time", basically they charge u for the idle hours they spend sitting aroudn waiting for some1 to drive their car in. Just like lawyers do.

But that is only ONE way of doing things. Other mechanics tend to charge cheaper labor costs. I mean 150 bucks for fluid changes. The Raw materials might cost him about 80 bucks all up... so he charges 70 for labor. Fair enough. Everyone is happy and he gets more business so he doesnt have to charge you for lost time.

Cheap = bad in PARTS, i do agree with u there... but the bunch that deal with my car were successful enough to open their own shop mate, and have a lot of ppl coming in for transplants, engine rebuilds, etc and have had no complaints...

Expensive does not = good mate... look at chasers... they went outta business, charged a lot...and put in some poor guy's clutch in backwards

and i'm getting NOTHING outta promoting btw... ffs man i'm trying to save u gusy some money... actually i was making a fking comment

tegstar83
16-04-2005, 12:32 AM
...... mate u dont know the guy, u havent seen his work so dont make big comments like that k?

He uses Castrol GTX, he gets a Honda Timing Belt brand new...

We all understand that labor is the biggest killer when it comes to fixing/modding our cars... Mechanics charge a lot cos of "lost time", basically they charge u for the idle hours they spend sitting aroudn waiting for some1 to drive their car in. Just like lawyers do.

But that is only ONE way of doing things. Other mechanics tend to charge cheaper labor costs. I mean 150 bucks for fluid changes. The Raw materials might cost him about 80 bucks all up... so he charges 70 for labor. Fair enough. Everyone is happy and he gets more business so he doesnt have to charge you for lost time.

Cheap = bad in PARTS, i do agree with u there... but the bunch that deal with my car were successful enough to open their own shop mate, and have a lot of ppl coming in for transplants, engine rebuilds, etc and have had no complaints...

Expensive does not = good mate... look at chasers... they went outta business, charged a lot...and put in some poor guy's clutch in backwards

and i'm getting NOTHING outta promoting btw... ffs man i'm trying to save u gusy some money... actually i was making a fking comment

Umm yeah thats wright I dont know the kunt at all and I was mearly pointing out that fluids cost more than that. I get all my stuff from Honda @ trade and it cost more than $150 for the fluids and stuff so I dont see how he is amking any money if hes only charging for fluids.
I dont know about the idle hours comment they just charge heaps eg:$40 an hour mostly.
and yeah u can get ripped of and have a shit job done it happens everywhere its called being stoodged. And once agsin I wasnt flaming u just mearly pointing out that fluids is gonna cost u even at trade so I dont know what he is using to achieve that price. And Im pretty sure he dosnt use O.E.M. Thats all.

**Ghost**
16-04-2005, 12:34 AM
well to be honest he does make money, just money from lots of ppl rather a lot of money from one person...

i can vouch for sure he does use OEM belts but we are getting off topic here : )

neawy the place in hawthorn, i didnt go there, some other guy posted it and i rang them up and they confirmed it... search "hawthorn"

wlee2
16-04-2005, 12:46 AM
dont worry about the fluids.. the cost of the brass button clutch.. i dun care about the service just gimme more brass button clutches for 400 =P...

**Ghost**
16-04-2005, 12:48 AM
hahahah so true...when mine dies i'm pushing my car straight there : )

hey wayne u live in Donvale...where abouts cos so do i

wlee2
16-04-2005, 12:58 AM
They prolly "quote" you that price.. they they hoist your car up.. look under it.. ohh dang looks like we going to have to replace more.. ohh your engine mounts are dead goto replace that.. ohh look your "new" windscreen wipers are dirty.. ohh well lets throw in a new set.. ohh these tires are defective sorry cant let you drive out of here till you get new ones..

ohh hey man your flux capacitor is just going on the fritz if you dont fix that up straight away you might accidently warp into the 5th dimension =P

haha only joking.. but ahem yeh its still a quote only aint it =P
hehe JK man =P

**Ghost**
16-04-2005, 01:02 AM
treu true... : )

siba
16-05-2005, 05:15 PM
hey guys, just wondering i asked the guys at xtreme clutch in adelaide and the found this clutch for my ek civic coupe KHN22007HD and it cost $531.00 inc gst this is a heavy duty sprung organic clutch kit anyone know if this is good and is this a good price???

turtleEK1
16-05-2005, 07:57 PM
i got my exedy 4 puck clutch for $350 (through ppl i knew through my old work tho) and put it in myself... fairly light for a hardcore clutch and very responsive... when i change gears while racing, i only have to tap the clutch about 2inchs to change gears! but remember the rule that the clutch is like the 'fuse' of the tranny system, better the clutch goes than whole box!

hong_ung
16-05-2005, 08:02 PM
Just hope you arent getting the stiff ones that are hard ot press down and flick back out straight away.

Hope you like those experiences.

My friend sold his car for this particular reason
he found it a bitch to drive and made every trip over complicated than it has too be...

CONAN
16-05-2005, 08:43 PM
Go for a sports organic clutch, their just a bit heavier than the stock clutch. but it works a treat.

I think Exedy is selling for around 400 (supply).