PDA

View Full Version : Eye lid spray painting?

merr.
11-04-2005, 02:21 PM
I just sprayed my eyelids for my civic and no matter what the colour just isn't the same. I went to repco to get the right spray paint from the colour code i got from the car. i have but that didn't match my car. So i went back and got another mix made, but it still is too dark, even after the guy matched it against the car. My car is gunmetal grey, and it goes light in the sun, and darker in the shade.

How can i get the right paint colour?

garett
11-04-2005, 02:28 PM
the guy at repco is not a qualified paint mixer, either go to a panel beater to have them painted as if they get it wrong they go over it again and again until they get it right... depending on how dodgy they are ( some are dodgy )

and a good paint job too

merr.
11-04-2005, 02:37 PM
How much do you think panel beaters charge just to spray eyelids?

garett
11-04-2005, 02:50 PM
depending on how much they wanna charge... i wouldnt expect to pay any more than around 40 - 60

i have been quoted to get my front bar painted for 170 and the guy is an awesome painter... however my car is white and white is cheaper to paint. i think the dearest colours are from the red family

**Ghost**
11-04-2005, 02:51 PM
go to honda... i'm led to believe they sell cans of spray matched exact to ur color... dont expect to get the same gloss with a DIY job however

ICACHA
11-04-2005, 06:27 PM
plastic, metal, fibreglass will never look the same even if sprayed with the same colour.

try it on different materials and see, wait till they are all dry and put them side by side in the light (preferably sun light) and you will see that none will look identical. they will look similar, but not identical.

Steer^Gimic
11-04-2005, 06:34 PM
for this time and this time only i will agree with garett. you wont spend more then 11 bucks getting done at panel beaters. so just DO IT! c'mon, darl, do it

CTR Coupe
11-04-2005, 08:04 PM
go to honda... i'm led to believe they sell cans of spray matched exact to ur color... dont expect to get the same gloss with a DIY job however

even a honda dealer paint isnt going to match exactly(paint fades) its all about how you apply it.
have it professionally done.

merr.
12-04-2005, 02:21 PM
well the panel beater it is =)

BlacKEGPedroew
12-04-2005, 09:15 PM
did you apply primer then sand primer back then apply paint?

merr.
13-04-2005, 02:04 PM
hmm... good question..

i think i forgot the primer.. but i did sand n paint a few times then put the final coats.

would it make a big difference in colour if i put the primer on.. then the paint? i want the grey colour to look lighter.

BlacKEGPedroew
14-04-2005, 12:22 AM
the primer will help absorb the paint if this isn't applied then you will more than likely get runs or drips on the plastic which looks sh!t.
Also by absorbing some of the paint it should make the grey look lighter
Good luck

merr.
14-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Thanks! :D