PDA

View Full Version : [CL9] 07 Euro Rattling Noise when on Gear (R or D). Need Advice.

akopulko
12-10-2014, 10:22 PM
Hi All, my 07 CL9 Euro started to produce some strange noise this afternoon. It looks like the noise is coming somewhere form the belt area and only appears when car is on gear (R, D), but not when car is on Park or Neutral (P,N). I did a bit of search and it seems like there could be few different reasons for this, like transmission failure, power steering pump failure or some auto tensioner.

Was wondering if someone with good knowledge can tell by the attached video what this could be and how costly will be repairing? Also, is it safe to continue driving or does it require urgent repair?

http://youtu.be/vLnagKMeIkM

konektado
13-10-2014, 05:31 AM
could be your pulley or belt

brokenback
13-10-2014, 09:06 AM
Sounds like Belt tensioner or alternator bearing noise. Take the belt off and rotate each by hand, you'll know from this.

The reason the noise changes in gear is that this loads down or puts more pressure on the belt as the torque converter is now in play.

akopulko
13-10-2014, 09:28 AM
Not excluding the alternator, but it is brand new installed few months ago by Honda Dealership.

brokenback
13-10-2014, 10:47 AM
The reason I say Alternator is that the noise appeared to be coming more from that front area.

You can use the screwdriver trick...place a long screwdrive blade against the offending or culprit device and put your ear to the handle. Obviously choose a non spinning part.

Old cheap mechanics stethoscope!

aaronng
13-10-2014, 02:31 PM
Check the belt tensioner wear indicator. It looks like a triangle pointing to inbetween a rectangle (all good) and a square (change the belt).