PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Intake

dc2r
02-09-2003, 10:18 PM
Okay guys, I need some help here as I have managed to confuse myself. I always thought a CAI is just some steel or alloy piping that leads from the filter to the engine. Am I correct here? If I was to buy an AEM CAI, would it include the pod filter. Is it better to use a pod filter with a CAI? Is it possible to connect the CAI to the stock airbox? What exactly is a CAI and how does it work exactly? Thanks.

aZZ
02-09-2003, 10:32 PM
CAI is purely relocating the Pod filter to somewhere around the engine bay which gets plenty of cold air such as inside the airdam in your front bar. or near your wheel arch.

hense the reason some people dont get them becuse if you suck up water then your motor is pretty much cactus.

wynode
02-09-2003, 11:20 PM
CAI - Cold air intake.

The term isn't reserved for pod filter setups. Its basically any type of setup that allows the engine to breather cold air which is generally taken from just under/behind the front bar.

No point geting a pod filter unless its shielded from the engine bay because otherwise you will just be sucking up hot air.

A'PEXi
04-09-2003, 08:58 PM
ermm u can buy the aem cai with a pod, but i think its something like 700aud importing them from the states....

Calvo
04-09-2003, 09:00 PM
wat a waste of $700 that'd be, unless u REALLY get huge gains from it...

ATSE
04-09-2003, 09:56 PM
I reckon the AEM is a waste of money... yes it does give you gains... but Bang for Buck... no way.

CAI is a piping system connected to your Throttle Body, which has pod filter connected at the end of the piping, which is feed to the front fender/bumper of your car to suck cold air in. This will give give you more HP but less Throttle response

Short Ram is a short pipe connected to your throttle body, with a Pod fitler at the end of it. It sits in your engine bay. Gives you better throttle response but not as much HP as CAI. I am currently running this setup with Cold Air piping from the front bumper.. and i'm pretty happy with it and it gives a nice roar.

OR you can use a stock airbox, buy a drop in filter (K&N, Spoon, Trust) and create piping from you front bumper to the airbox, creating a nice cold air feed. This is probably the best setup IMO, makes you engine bay look clean, Legal and also noticable gains.

Calvo
04-09-2003, 10:00 PM
i heard that its pretty bad if not setup properly coz if water splashes up, then ur ****ed.
btw wat does AEM stand for?

bennjamin
04-09-2003, 10:18 PM
DONT WASTE UR MONEY PEOPLE !

For maximum results...just runa stock airbox setup with direct cold air feed !

to do this , basically replace ur stock airfilter with a hi flow after market one, ( spoon or TRUST i suggest) , and replace the pre-airbox piping with a single , straight as possible pipe running from the front bumper inlet.

I have done this upon my lil EG5 civic...increases lo to id to top end torque and power...big gains on top end - as air is almost being rammed into the engine...more PSI = more pure combustion = more power !

I would think the gains on a bigger capacity car is excellent return for a very small amount spent - TRUST/SPOON replacement fi flow filter = $60-$100, piping = free ? PLUS a few minutes thought....= PRICLESS !

Also , to prevent water or any other foreign body entering the custom piping, u should put a small amount of holes at any bends or lenghts to allow liquid to escape, and maybe place a less dense foam close to the very front , allowing maximum flow, but protecting from immidiate elements.

Ive got pix and diagrams if u r interested...

Ben

BPA
04-09-2003, 10:52 PM
how would i run a feed into the stock airbox on an vtir civ? ie, what materials do i need?

cheers'
Sam

ATSE
04-09-2003, 11:10 PM
AEM is a company :) but dunno what it stands for

Yes that problem causes Hydrolock. when water gets into your engine. Air and fuel gets compressed in your engine... but water can't... But AEM have this built in foam thing which prevents this from happening... (Sucking in water that is). But to be honest.. this is pretty hard to occur, unless your car is like submerged in water. To avoid this, when you drive over a large puddle, just let go of the pedel, cause your throttle will be closed and there will be no vaccum to suck the water in..

Well all you really need is a cutter, air con piping from Bunnings warehouse (get around 3inch piping) Oh and a BBQ and some alcohol for a friend to help you :)

Check out HOnda-Tech.com and search for this kind of topic... some of them have step to step guides on what to do with pics :)

ALLMTR
04-09-2003, 11:42 PM
Short rams make more power. Just need to insulate the pod from engine heat and supply it with air

Setanta
05-09-2003, 07:50 AM
DONT WASTE UR MONEY PEOPLE !

Another Heretic - woohoo :)

Unless yo uare going dramatic changes to the rest of the engine, the improvement is negligable compared to cost :)

BTW - the AEM CAI can run a bypass to stop hydrolocking

Cheers

A'PEXi
05-09-2003, 12:07 PM
Advanced Engine Management.

dc2r
05-09-2003, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the help guys. This question was actually for my brother who was interested in getting a CAI. But now he wants to drop in a supercharger instead :lol:

tanghy
05-09-2003, 02:37 PM
supercahrger?
jackson racing
hope u got 10 grand handy

dc2r
05-09-2003, 02:55 PM
hey tangy what's up dude. nice to see you here from clubrsx...
yeah i think a jackson racing... it's for an mx-5 though...
2nd hand... what should he be looking for and what price?

tanghy
05-09-2003, 02:59 PM
mx5?
i think there are some local kits..?
better check it out. I seen one competing before and his kit was local

dc2r
05-09-2003, 03:18 PM
yes mx5. he found some guy selling his mx5 who has a supercharger on it and he is selling it separately. even took him for a spin coz it's still installed on the car... do superchargers wear out or what? this guy's had it for less than a year...

Setanta
05-09-2003, 03:52 PM
I keep hearing of issues with the JRSC - mostly in oil leakage. Jackson doesn't manufacture the units, it's shopped out. There was a big complaint about them at www.clubsi a year or so ago.

dc2r
05-09-2003, 03:59 PM
So Jackson Racing doesn't make the superchargers? Are you talking about the mx5 SC that has problems, or the JRSC in general? What other problems are there with them? Don't want my bro forking out $$$ for nothing. Are they really worth it?

crx_16x
07-09-2003, 02:45 AM
Yeah the superchargers are made by sebring or eaton i think.

Setanta
07-09-2003, 01:29 PM
The problems were with the ones fitted to Si (VTiR) coupes. Was just a couple of complaints - but a lot of it was to do with getting it repaired under warentee and the fact that the output figures were inflated.

www.clubsi.com - I have a feeling someone there could answer any questions better than I can :)