PDA

View Full Version : 1st Gen Civic - Conversion Options

benigno
12-04-2005, 09:35 AM
G'day,

I have just purchased a 1977 Civic and have been looking at some conversion options. At first I was looking at the B-series engines and they looked like a pretty good option for what I wanted. However, today I was offered a JDM Spec H22a for a very good price, only drama is ive never seen/heard of this conversion being done before as I have never really been into honda's up until now.

I have a lot of mechanical knowledge and hands on experience, done many conversions before including, sr20's into 180sx's, 12a rotaries into a 1977 mazda 323 and a 1977 mazda 808 etc etc.

Basically my only worry was that the h22a would be physically too large. I realise custom mounts etc. will have to be fabricated and engineered and I'm in no way kidding myself, I know itll be huge job but I can get the engine for the right price so I thought I might as well ask the question.

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
James

EG5
12-04-2005, 10:05 AM
h22a would be to big for it.
do b series swap with custom mounts

JDM.Power
12-04-2005, 10:15 AM

Chi
12-04-2005, 10:17 AM

McChook
12-04-2005, 10:24 AM
I am going to suggest an alternative option - B series is my fave one posted, but....

There is a guy named Angus Button, with a gen 1 civic, with a turbocharged standard engine - well, the engine is not standard any more, but I'd suggest you atleast speak to Angus or Dyno Dave about your options

heist
12-04-2005, 10:26 AM

benigno
12-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Yeah I figured itd be too big... just got excited :P

I am going to suggest an alternative option - B series is my fave one posted, but....

There is a guy named Angus Button, with a gen 1 civic, with a turbocharged standard engine - well, the engine is not standard any more, but I'd suggest you atleast speak to Angus or Dyno Dave about your options

Also Im pretty sure I have seen that... or soemthing similar... charcoal black 1st gen, pretty crazy piping job on that one. I'll revert to plan A B-series :) thanks for your help.

benigno
12-04-2005, 10:39 AM
I want something capable of 13's and im prepared to do a lot of the work myself, what would you guys suggest, I wanted to stay NA, but im open to other suggestions.

panda[cRx]
12-04-2005, 10:58 AM
put a k20a in it and twin charge the mofo

Setanta
12-04-2005, 10:58 AM
B series won't fit without cutting, remoulding etc - although I have seen a Singapore 2G with CRVTEC.

Turbo - 200bhp with the existing motor is possible - there was a group in Qld that did it.

Drop in a city turbo motor - minor mods needed. EW swap, webber it etc - 140bhp is possible.

My choice: SOHC VTEC from the VTi then turbo it. The motor fits nicely - you have 130bhp to start with and it can only go up.

Remember one thing: The 1Gs were built around a 50 - 80bhp motor (top of the line RS1200) and you will need to really tighten the chassis up as your power increases.

Personally? Having had a 130 bhp NA one, it was quicker than my current SiR and that was great for me. At that point, the weaknesses of an extremely short wheel base and a poor chassis became evident.

Forget the H22A - they fit inmto 4G with cutting and people hate the way they ruined the car's dynamics - a lightweight, small, powerful starting point is what you want.

McChook
12-04-2005, 11:01 AM
Yeah I figured itd be too big... just got excited :P

Also Im pretty sure I have seen that... or soemthing similar... charcoal black 1st gen, pretty crazy piping job on that one. I'll revert to plan A B-series :) thanks for your help.
Angus's is white
Makes 224fwhp
did a 12.7 on saturday
Utilises a 1400ccs now, stock was 1200
http://www.evilimaging.com/compakattak/images/IMG_3353.jpg