PDA

View Full Version : hondata in.

ginganggooly
09-01-2004, 08:15 AM
i'm reasonably happy, still got some teething issues to work out though.

and i'll be down at C&V tomorrow morning to get a power run (got a dyno run there from before i had the ECU installed). some issues cropped up during the installation of the hondata which prevented a stock power run :x

the cut out is set at 9100rpm. personally, i will not be reving it past an indicated 8500, if that. but it does seem to be making power all the way through to 9k.
http://board.performanceforums.com/gallery/data/500/745mike-dyno3-med.jpg

stockie
09-01-2004, 08:30 AM
hey your that integra that was at crydon yeah?? why did it peak at 112kw before?? well the next day my friend put in the hondata in his gen3 crx and made 106kw at the wheels. Feel so much torque now and it revs hard till almost 9k!!! arrrrrrrrrrrrr heheeeehe

ginganggooly
09-01-2004, 08:44 AM
yeah, that was me ;)

Havok
09-01-2004, 11:17 AM
what mods have u done to the motor?

azjs
09-01-2004, 01:05 PM
Why has it got got turbo torque scale on the right?

-az

ginganggooly
09-01-2004, 05:18 PM
DIY CAI, jdm 4-1 header and 2.5" cat and cat back.

turbo torque??
i think the scale on the right is just for tractive effort...

A'PEXi
09-01-2004, 11:54 PM
hey thats not bad considering the mods u got man!

luzinit
10-01-2004, 01:12 AM
! nice slim, hope ur happy with it.. however more importantly i guess, whats the gain over stock before the hondata??

cant really tell abt the gains with ur extractors + exhaust alone unless we dyno another stockie liek erics !

BLKCRX
12-01-2004, 05:20 PM
I won't spoil the surprise on how much more power ginganggooly got over stock, ill let him show off on the street him self, lets just say I hear “type R’s fear him now”
Ginganggooly car is a very nice pocket rocket reving all the way deep into the red line and pulling very hard, a very nice clean car with plenty of punch. His internals are totally stock and I was very impressed with the final result that I archived when tuning his car.

We also had a very nice preforming CRX’s and Lude both with incredible numbers, power is tuning ! with the correct ECU and tuning knowledge power is everything.

I also met many faces / names when I was down at Croydon tuning the local honda’s was great meeting / catching up with you all, im back in Melbounre now after spending the last 4 days in Canberra at summernats, what a wild week it has been.

Regards James

ginganggooly
12-01-2004, 05:23 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2086&start=30

check the before and after plots there.

fried
17-01-2004, 02:41 PM
I won't spoil the surprise on how much more power ginganggooly got over stock, ill let him show off on the street him self, lets just say I hear “type R’s fear him now”

HA.... they feared him before.... now they dont even wag their tails ;)

.... well excect maybe this one particular violent ITR ;)

azjs
18-01-2004, 08:00 PM
Yep - that fury of that ITR omg... ;)

-az

LatinoHatchCrap
19-01-2004, 10:20 PM
cant wait to get mine tuned!!!

dc2r
20-01-2004, 12:47 AM
I have no fear!! :p

ginganggooly
20-01-2004, 08:55 AM
lets just say I hear “type R’s fear him now”

"fear" is such a strong word... i'd preffer to say that i'd be getting a little more respect ;)

Civic Type R
20-01-2004, 11:32 AM
[BLKCRX]

wHEN WILL YOU BE SETTING UP A STORE OR TUNER OVER HERE IN pERTH ?

OOOPS CAPS :)

ginganggooly
15-02-2004, 07:14 PM
well, finally got everything running perfectly today!

peaked at 109.9 at dave's workshop, but the important thing is that now my car has excellent driveablity, response and a perfect idle.

my thanks to Dave Flood (DynoDave) and James (BLKCRX). they looked after me very well throughout the whole process.
great work guys!

tofu R
15-02-2004, 07:27 PM
hehehehe CONGRATS SLIM..
is it time yet ? for a rematch my friend ? :)
now that youve finished your tuning ..

this is going to be interesting..
haha

totti
15-02-2004, 08:35 PM
congrats on the results michael

come and test it out on the tuesday meet??

UR2L8
15-02-2004, 10:05 PM
I HAVE NO FEAR!
Great dyno result, impresive for a stock engine but power isnt everything.

tofu R
15-02-2004, 11:40 PM
haha i dun think he was refering to your type R mate chill

haha

luzinit
16-02-2004, 01:54 AM
thats excellent to hear mike :)
now its time to get a new tyre, and show the boys wot the old gal is capable of :D

joneblaze
16-02-2004, 03:36 AM
heehee... i agree with Tony, Mikey Mike. Sonny's even arranged a grudge match for you and the Red Terror on Tuesday. :) Now you MUST show, Takumi Fujiwara styles.... :P
110kwatw? Now we're talkin....... ;)

lmao@UR2L8

tofu R
16-02-2004, 09:05 AM
hahaha aint no grudge match between me and slimmy mate =P
hehehe its all love in the house for the integra boys..

azjs
16-02-2004, 09:53 AM
I can vouch that Slim's car feels and drives awesome now! watch out boys... :D

-az

XXpl0Sive
16-02-2004, 10:48 AM
Sounds good..good luck Mike! I guess you're keeping her now? :)

McChook
16-02-2004, 11:04 AM
well, now I got a hondata... ehehehehe

joneblaze
16-02-2004, 11:06 AM
Really? when'd you get it installed etc? the 200 unit thingy too?
How's it feel man?

McChook
16-02-2004, 11:07 AM
not installed... just bought, not ready for it to be installed yet, got other stuff to do first.. but I bought one...

S100

joneblaze
16-02-2004, 11:09 AM
ohh the o'seas unit you mentioned. I see. :)

McChook
16-02-2004, 11:11 AM
uh huh. Guess this makes me a groupie....

maling
16-02-2004, 11:46 AM
hahaha aint no grudge match between me and slimmy mate =P
hehehe its all love in the house for the integra boys..

Thats right. :P

but it will be good to see how quick this VTIR is.

ginganggooly
16-02-2004, 12:39 PM
I HAVE NO FEAR!
Great dyno result, impresive for a stock engine but power isnt everything.

hence the comment on driveability etc ;)

but yeah, i'm not so worried about the peak figure, in fact i have no idea on whether the car is any faster or not. the main thing is that it's driving the way it should be now!
big fuel economy improvement too...

VTEC16
18-02-2004, 05:42 PM
i'm not so worried about the peak figure, in fact i have no idea on whether the car is any faster or not

HA???

one has nothing to do with the other.....and you would expect to feel the difference after installing a fully tunable ecu.....not just notice it at the pump....

sesshoumaru
18-02-2004, 05:53 PM
yeah i agree!? from your graphs i think you had what, almost 20fwkw increase??

surely there is a hugely noticiable difference?!

ginganggooly
18-02-2004, 05:58 PM
i'm not so worried about the peak figure, in fact i have no idea on whether the car is any faster or not

HA???

one has nothing to do with the other.....and you would expect to feel the difference after installing a fully tunable ecu.....not just notice it at the pump....

you lost me chum.

are you saying peak power has nothing to do with how fast the car is?

let me clarify the reason for me not being worried about the peak figure- i don't really have anything to compare it to. my only real benchmark has been straightline squirts with friends cars.

VTEC16
18-02-2004, 06:14 PM
well...yeh! peak power doesnt tell you how fast your car will be, if you are gaining 20wkw .....thats MASSIVE! ...you should deff feel the diff!

peak power is just a figure....if you've gained lots of midrange, your car should be faster regardless of your peak power.

ginganggooly
18-02-2004, 07:06 PM
well...yeh! peak power doesnt tell you how fast your car will be, if you are gaining 20wkw .....thats MASSIVE! ...you should deff feel the diff!

peak power is just a figure....if you've gained lots of midrange, your car should be faster regardless of your peak power.

20kw gain?? wat da.

where did i say that?

i never got to perform a proper baseline run because it turns out c&v changed their dyno software between my two runs (now gives out different readings) and ecu problems prevented one at CRD.

peak power numbers, or more specifically power in the rev band that is in use during a drag race (5.8k-8.5k) does have A HELL OF ALOT to do with how quick your car will be.
gaining lots in the midrange is great for driveability i.e. it's easier to drive! unfortunately not so helpful for outright performance. not saying it's a bad thing, but it isn't doing much for me in a race, is it? unless you have a habit of letting the car drop right out of it's sweet spot...

so i still don't see what your point is.

on a side note, after "testing" it last night, the car is not any quicker in a straight line. at least the midrange urge makes it more pleasant to drive in traffic.

VTEC16
18-02-2004, 07:25 PM
20kw gain?? wat da.

where did i say that?

peak power numbers, or more specifically power in the rev band that is in use during a drag race (5.8k-8.5k) does have A HELL OF ALOT to do with how quick your car will be.
gaining lots in the midrange is great for driveability i.e. it's easier to drive! unfortunately not so helpful for outright performance. not saying it's a bad thing, but it isn't doing much for me in a race, is it? unless you have a habit of letting the car drop right out of it's sweet spot...

so i still don't see what your point is.

on a side note, after "testing" it last night, the car is not any quicker in a straight line. at least the midrange urge makes it more pleasant to drive in traffic.

from your graphs i think you had what, almost 20fwkw increase??

Thats where i got the 20wkw from...

peak power doesnt mean anything.....its all in the power curve. peak power tells nothing of the nature of the power. Hence does not show a complete correlation to acceleration.

ginganggooly
18-02-2004, 08:02 PM
"the area under the curve". you are preaching to the converted.

so, short of trying to start an argument, or prove your level of automotive knowledge, i don't see what you are getting at.

did i not say i was not that worried with my peak figure?
why would i make that remark if i didn't already know this theory?

if you have a graph like mine that is actually quit linear (don't have any scans of the newer ones), peak power does mean something, it's not everything but when you see that from 6500-8500 the car's power output is varying by about 5-6kw the peak figure is an indicator of what to expect on the road/track.

why do people bother building NA honda drag motors using vtec killer cams? they are trying to get every last bit of power from the motor. provided you have the right gearing, the car will still go bloody fast. i'm guessing low-mid range power won't be too good with that setup... still makes for the quickest cars though.

my turn to grossly oversimplify things now- acceleration really comes down to two things, power and mass. keep the mass as low as you can, and the power as high as you can. just make sure that the car is geared correctly and away you go.

i think one of the tuners on the forum might like to jump in and correct any of my own or vtec16's misunderstandings here.

james? dave?

fried
18-02-2004, 08:19 PM
no im right! shut up u monkey, u know nothing ;)

VTEC16
19-02-2004, 01:11 AM
"the area under the curve". you are preaching to the converted.

so, short of trying to start an argument, or prove your level of automotive knowledge, i don't see what you are getting at.

did i not say i was not that worried with my peak figure?
why would i make that remark if i didn't already know this theory?

if you have a graph like mine that is actually quit linear (don't have any scans of the newer ones), peak power does mean something, it's not everything but when you see that from 6500-8500 the car's power output is varying by about 5-6kw the peak figure is an indicator of what to expect on the road/track.

why do people bother building NA honda drag motors using vtec killer cams? they are trying to get every last bit of power from the motor. provided you have the right gearing, the car will still go bloody fast. i'm guessing low-mid range power won't be too good with that setup... still makes for the quickest cars though.

my turn to grossly oversimplify things now- acceleration really comes down to two things, power and mass. keep the mass as low as you can, and the power as high as you can. just make sure that the car is geared correctly and away you go.

i think one of the tuners on the forum might like to jump in and correct any of my own or vtec16's misunderstandings here.

james? dave?

I wasnt trying to start an argument....all i was remarking on was that you couldnt feel the difference...which i thought was weird.

I used the phrase "nothing to do with eachother" ....which was an exageration.

Acceleration can mean many things -if you are talking about 0-100 bursts, then cool.....but what about in 3rd gear from 50k's?

Yes, when you drag and mostly when at the track, your bouncing off your rev limiter -in this scenario peak power means everything.

...but one of the most important areas of tuning a car (and often overlooked) is the midrange....so i expected that you would notice it.....but you didnt...and thats cool...maybe the gains wernt that big, or you hadnt driven your car for a while....or you had other mods as well at the same time.....etc etc etc

I dont really understand what you are getting at....we are both right here....what do you want the 'experts' to say?

cheers.

NB- I think this might be my fault....i keep getting involved in these drawn out discussions....im not trying to upset anyone.....i dont really now how its happens....sorry.

dc2r
19-02-2004, 01:21 AM
1. Peak power means shit
2. Dynos mean shit unless using for tuning
3. If I spend so much on an ECU, I better hope I feel some kind of difference!!

DynoDave
19-02-2004, 07:23 AM
Ok dyno's do mean nothing as there is so many things that can change the cars output,dyno's are just a tuning tool and when used in the CORRECT way are a very good tool.In another post of mine I went thru the do's and donts or making an N/A car better from my 20 years experince of tuning engines.What Ginganggooly is trying to say is that his car is better to drive feels smoother but he said it does not feel like it pulls as hard in the top end the gains that we got on Sunday where from fine tuning midrange load points nothing else. The biggest PROBLEM is that once you smooth the fuel curve out the engine will make power gains but it feels slower because it does not have that sudden kick in power from the incorrect mixtures that is why the dyno is a good tuning tool to see what the torque & air fuel ratio's are doing.
Regards Dyno Dave

ginganggooly
19-02-2004, 09:20 AM
1. Peak power means shit

ahh good, so you can't read then. :roll:

tofu R
19-02-2004, 09:33 AM
haha ...
anyway slim u had me in the car .. haha weighing you down
wasnt an even match.
REMATCH !

dc2r
19-02-2004, 09:45 AM
1. Peak power means shit

ahh good, so you can't read then. :roll:

:roll: ahhh me no spicka engrish :roll:
you ah vely coor... spenda many money... vely quik car... :D

ginganggooly
19-02-2004, 09:50 AM
haha ...
anyway slim u had me in the car .. haha weighing you down
wasnt an even match.
REMATCH !
hey, i'm sposed to be making the excuses here!
nah, sad fact is it ain't going to get any prettier. ;)

i had a go with son on the way back, his car is mysteriously quicker than mine on the freeway now :) heh heh heh.

fark'n shit fark'n. :shock:

tinkerbell
19-02-2004, 09:51 AM
you guys really need to get out to WSID...

ginganggooly
19-02-2004, 09:58 AM
unfortunately, wednesday afternoons do not make for the most conveniant times for me to get out to do a little benchmarking of the car.

tinkerbell
19-02-2004, 10:00 AM
dedication to the cause is the key...

ginganggooly
19-02-2004, 10:10 AM
dedication to the cause is the key...

i have to pay for my mods somehow...

work and weekdays go hand-in-hand for me ;)

tofu R
19-02-2004, 10:25 AM
haha ..
slim
u and i are choked at exactly the same spot ..
the cai ...
i reckon go for aftermarket ..
and all will be good .

VTEC16
19-02-2004, 10:50 AM
Ok dyno's do mean nothing as there is so many things that can change the cars output,dyno's are just a tuning tool and when used in the CORRECT way are a very good tool.In another post of mine I went thru the do's and donts or making an N/A car better from my 20 years experince of tuning engines.What Ginganggooly is trying to say is that his car is better to drive feels smoother but he said it does not feel like it pulls as hard in the top end the gains that we got on Sunday where from fine tuning midrange load points nothing else. The biggest PROBLEM is that once you smooth the fuel curve out the engine will make power gains but it feels slower because it does not have that sudden kick in power from the incorrect mixtures that is why the dyno is a good tuning tool to see what the torque & air fuel ratio's are doing.
Regards Dyno Dave

Ok! i understand perfectly now.

cheers

integrica
24-02-2004, 06:33 PM
do you mean to say that the improved tuning from the hondata lessens the effect (feel, sound) of the VTEC engagement?

tinkerbell
25-02-2004, 08:52 AM
do you mean to say that the improved tuning from the hondata lessens the effect (feel, sound) of the VTEC engagement?

one should expect so...