PDA

View Full Version : Engine prices?

subwoofa
08-12-2014, 12:42 PM
New to the forums and hopefully soon getting my p plates. I was thinking to getting a civic eg and hopefully doing a b16 swap as most of the stock eg's have 200kms+ on the d16s

Just wondering how much would i cost for a b16a2 with less than 130000 kms and also would it be p plate legal?

Anyways cheers!

mocchi
08-12-2014, 12:48 PM
http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u323/breadbaconncheese/index_zpsc5486279.jpg

EKVTIR-T
08-12-2014, 12:53 PM
1-3000 + laybor

subwoofa
08-12-2014, 01:00 PM
Ahh thats pretty pricey. Probably better to get an em1. But anyways thanks for the fast reply!

Vvvtec
08-12-2014, 01:24 PM
pm mocchi he has c7 for sale better than shithouse b16

subwoofa
08-12-2014, 01:32 PM
Im currently a student so b18 is kindda gonna be over budget. I was hoping to spend roughly 1.5k tops on a motor and i have a family friend who can help me do the conversion. But other than that thanks for the input!

mocchi
08-12-2014, 01:45 PM
pm grifty, hes selling b16a fits ur budget nicely

Drifter995
08-12-2014, 02:17 PM
You can get a 16a2 for $1,500. With box? not as likely. Not likely at all with low km's.
Also, be aware, if you get a carby eg, you're going to have a world of trouble getting it to work. If you have an efi eg, it'll be fairly easy. Will cost a fair bit though. Will need eg b series mounts, engine loom, compatible ecu, etc etc.

EKVTIR-T
08-12-2014, 02:20 PM
Just get Ek4 easier

Drifter995
08-12-2014, 02:32 PM
Just get Ek4 easier

Or eg6

cbauto
11-12-2014, 06:23 AM
Im currently a student so b18 is kindda gonna be over budget. I was hoping to spend roughly 1.5k tops on a motor and i have a family friend who can help me do the conversion. But other than that thanks for the input!
can get datsun motor for that price

Drifter995
11-12-2014, 07:30 AM
can get datsun motor for that price
Pointless when no datsun to put it in ;D

SHOGUNOVDDRK
11-12-2014, 01:08 PM
Pointless when no datsun to put it in ;D
SR20 Civic please

RenzokukenJ
11-12-2014, 01:45 PM
Buy my prelude for 1.5k but you gotta come get it from Perth and it's probably gonna die just outside of the city

Wanderer
18-12-2014, 03:32 PM
B20b $500 from Japan (Orthia Engine) + B16a* transmission. Faster than any B18c* swapped EG and a whole lot cheaper. Provided you can drive it well enough and get traction. You will eat one side of your tires pretty fast though. Probably the side you're not sitting on. That money you saved for not buying into the VTEC hype would be great for a Quaife or whatever brand of LSD floats your rubber ducky.

When you rebuild just slap the VTEC head on and count your cookies that you bought for not dumping so much money into a Honda all at one time. The VTEC head will give you better flow once you start wanting to make real power with it. Bump the comp to like 11:1 and then piece together a turbo kit. Have patience.

mocchi
18-12-2014, 03:34 PM
B20b $500 from Japan + B16a transmission. Faster than any B18c* swapped EG and a whole lot cheaper. Provided you can drive it well enough and get traction. You will eat one side of your tires pretty fast though. Probably the side you're not sitting on.

no.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/customavatars/avatar30053_101.gif

Wanderer
18-12-2014, 03:46 PM
No what?

RenzokukenJ
20-12-2014, 01:08 AM
No sir

bennjamin
20-12-2014, 06:00 AM
B20b $500 from Japan (Orthia Engine) + B16a* transmission. Faster than any B18c* swapped EG and a whole lot cheaper. Provided you can drive it well enough and get traction. You will eat one side of your tires pretty fast though. Probably the side you're not sitting on. That money you saved for not buying into the VTEC hype would be great for a Quaife or whatever brand of LSD floats your rubber ducky.

When you rebuild just slap the VTEC head on and count your cookies that you bought for not dumping so much money into a Honda all at one time. The VTEC head will give you better flow once you start wanting to make real power with it. Bump the comp to like 11:1 and then piece together a turbo kit. Have patience.

A 145hp engine with 178nm tied to a open diff gearbox will not be faster in any way or situation than a b18c with typically 200hp and 182nm with a lsd transmission and shorter FD. Unless you can show some evidence ?
Cheaper yes - but just not as fast.

Drifter995
20-12-2014, 09:08 AM
A 145hp engine with 178nm tied to a open diff gearbox will not be faster in any way or situation than a b18c with typically 200hp and 182nm with a lsd transmission and shorter FD. Unless you can show some evidence ?
An h2b swap is a cheapish way to be competitive. Good torque, similar horsepower, and nobody wants the engine.

Wanderer
22-12-2014, 11:06 AM

Uhh, check Honda-tech. This is known quantity already that has been known for at least a decade. Gearing plus torque is how you get the most out of any setup. HP is just a functional calculation derived from torque. On the same setup, the B20 will always be faster than the smaller displacement B-series.

Vvvtec
22-12-2014, 11:38 AM
Stock b20 vs c7, No it won't lol

EKVTIR-T
22-12-2014, 11:54 AM
yes it will

bennjamin
22-12-2014, 06:57 PM
Uhh, check Honda-tech. This is known quantity already that has been known for at least a decade. Gearing plus torque is how you get the most out of any setup. HP is just a functional calculation derived from torque. On the same setup, the B20 will always be faster than the smaller displacement B-series.

Can you post some links of a eg civic with both a standard type r setup vs a standard b20b (with normal open diff b16a gearbox) for comparison sakes ?
All I can find is dead standard or lightly modified older LS integras with b20s running 15's all day long. Are you sure you haven't confused this setup with a b20 vtec head setup ?

RenzokukenJ
23-12-2014, 11:21 AM
178nm isn't a lot of talk lol

bennjamin
23-12-2014, 01:01 PM
178nm isn't a lot of talk lol

M8 pls

Post up videos of egs with standard b20s smashing b18cr powered donks or GTFO

Wanderer
23-12-2014, 01:32 PM
^^^ You'll have to do some serious digging. This is nearly 20 year old information now. Unfortunately, Honda-Tech has changed hands more than once, and their archives are practically nonexistent now. I'm not in the habit of carrying around old photos that I never took before I got my first digital camera, and I don't exactly have a build at the moment to demonstrate.

You will either have to do the math yourself, look for the information that you can find, or just accept that it's true and move on with your life. The alternative is that you stick your fingers in your ears and call me a liar. Either way, it doesn't affect me directly, and I am only here to share what I know. If you don't want it, that is not my problem.

I'm not your mate either, so do your mod thing and censor it up then.

Stock b20 vs c7, No it won't lol

Prove that it won't, when the rest of the Honda world, or what's left of it, knows that it will. I've seen it with my own two eyes when I was running that same B20 setup myself in 2002. Everything else being equal; the engine with more torque will always win. This is why B16's are not commonly swapped in the US anymore, because they are not worth the cost or the effort when you can just start out with the B20b and be even faster when you rebuild into a B20v... Unless going turbo, then the B18b block is preferred.

The LS/B20 crank is that much better than any of the other cranks in the B-series. It's the only crank worth having, if you are sticking with the B-series.

bennjamin
23-12-2014, 02:05 PM
Sorry "mate" but the only time I have seen or heard of this is your posts above. Why you are strongly opinionated on this, I do not know. The b20 makes a fantastic setup turboed / vtec head or both we all know.

All I do know - is a b20b dead standard , or even lightly modified in a eg / LS or da seem to be doing consistent mid to high 14's and 15's at the 1/4 mile ( on YouTube). A dead standard b18 R motor setup in a eg will do mid to high 13's. That makes it....faster ? Don't get so worked up on this :0) have a merry Xmas.

Wanderer
23-12-2014, 02:11 PM
Sorry "mate" but the only time I have seen or heard of this is your posts above. Why you are strongly opinionated on this, I do not know. The b20 makes a fantastic setup turboed / vtec head or both we all know.

All I do know - is a b20b dead standard , or even lightly modified in a eg / LS or da seem to be doing consistent mid to high 14's and 15's at the 1/4 mile ( on YouTube). A dead standard b18 R motor setup in a eg will do mid to high 13's. That makes it....faster ? Don't get so worked up on this :0) have a merry Xmas.

Where did I say a word about the B18c*R engines? The kid was asking about B16's, and I posted to save him trouble and a headache down the road of having to move on to a different car or block because B16's suck. I've had a B16 before, and even turbo'd it sucked in every aspect except reliability and fuel consumption. You have to rev them up to get the car to move out of it's own way.

Who's worked up? I posted one thing and everyone was all like "OMGPICORITDIDNTHAPPEN". I thought this was common knowledge already. HT has been around since 1999 after all. I'm an American, this is how we speak. Don't call me mate, please.

mocchi
23-12-2014, 02:17 PM
Where did I say a word about the B18c*R engines? The kid was asking about B16's, and I posted to save him trouble and a headache down the road of having to move on to a different car or block because B16's suck. I've had a B16 before, and even turbo'd it sucked in every aspect except reliability and fuel consumption. You have to rev them up to get the car to move out of it's own way.

Who's worked up? I posted one thing and everyone was all like "OMGPICORITDIDNTHAPPEN". I thought this was common knowledge already. HT has been around since 1999 after all. I'm an American, this is how we speak. Don't call me mate, please.

do you know what a wild card is?

inb4pokemon

Drifter995
23-12-2014, 02:21 PM

I believe it was around the time you said 'any b18c*' which includes the b18c7, which is the type r motor.

bennjamin
23-12-2014, 02:24 PM
I believe it was around the time you said 'any b18c*' which includes the b18c7, which is the type r motor.

Yes. I believe and hope Wanderer misread my original post ? Or forgot.

Hondarally
23-12-2014, 03:59 PM
Maaaate

Yes, he said any b18c* which includes c7 and cr.

Everything else being equal; the engine with more torque will always win

What else being equal? Same torque curve but one has higher peak than the other? Well that means that it's also making more power, so yes, it will be faster.

Please let's not turn this into another torque vs power thread (I thought that those died in the 1990's).

We aussies use the term "mate" as a salutation, for anyone from our best mate (or "Buddy" if you prefer), to our worst enemy. It's not discriminatory, so I don't see any need to be upset about it. No need to get offended by local colloquialisms.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
23-12-2014, 04:02 PM
do you know what a wild card is?

inb4pokemon
Do you know what a wild card is?

Inb4mario

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-mG5qfkuodgo/Tj7K_1dBWFI/AAAAAAAAAWo/XP05Yxp-z0I/s1600/Nintendo_Uno_Special_Wild_Card.jpg

RenzokukenJ
23-12-2014, 09:53 PM
M8 pls

Post up videos of egs with standard b20s smashing b18cr powered donks or GTFO
I meant in general, not within the Honda community hehe

Vvvtec
24-12-2014, 01:37 AM

Sorry mate

Wanderer
24-12-2014, 07:47 AM
I see. In that case good bye OzHonda. Good luck in your future endeavors.

bennjamin
24-12-2014, 07:57 AM
I see. In that case good bye OzHonda. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Man come on. Don't be like that , I understand you misread - no need to get all stubborn and leave.
Have a Merry Christmas

RenzokukenJ
24-12-2014, 10:05 AM
Don't call me mate, please.

Mate.

Super-DA9
24-12-2014, 11:53 AM
LMAO holy fuk

'Don't call me mate I am American'

wanderer R u ok

DNTCRY pls

watajk

Regards,

Mate

RenzokukenJ
24-12-2014, 02:30 PM
LMAO holy fuk

'Don't call me mate I am American'

wanderer R u ok

DNTCRY pls

watajk

Regards,

Mate
Lmfao

Inb4op is moey

EKVTIR-T
24-12-2014, 02:36 PM
guise grow up

youre giving the forum a bad name

lolmclol
24-12-2014, 02:43 PM
Moite pls

RenzokukenJ
24-12-2014, 05:32 PM
guise grow up

youre giving the forum a bad name
Can you not

cbauto
24-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Harden the fuk up

amant02
24-12-2014, 07:44 PM
OH wow you guys...

Both the setups be equally competitive.

I'd say the b18c will win if drivers were taken out of the equation. (B18C vs B20+s4c gearbox)

Cant argue with maths here... The kW differance is too high.

Ofcourse the b20 option is waaaay cheaper... but till how long? The temptation of B20 vtec will always be running in your mind.

then wut is kW differance now? Its about the talk now.

inb4justKswap.

Drifter995
24-12-2014, 07:55 PM
lsvtec you'd have to drop all the vtec bottom end bits in, or better stuff so it doesn't get sad with the higher rpm, do all that work, try not to give easily stressed bits in the block, blah blah. In the end, depending on how crazy you go, it'd probably be the same price as a b18c swap anyway. But with an open diff box. Would have all the torque though. And be pretty cool.

carayan
24-12-2014, 09:14 PM
lsvtec you'd have to drop all the vtec bottom end bits in, or better stuff so it doesn't get sad with the higher rpm, do all that work, try not to give easily stressed bits in the block, blah blah. In the end, depending on how crazy you go, it'd probably be the same price as a b18c swap anyway. But with an open diff box. Would have all the torque though. And be pretty cool.

wat

wat.

amant02
24-12-2014, 09:22 PM

Why would even bother going ls vtec if your basically swaping a type R internals in there?

I thought the whole point was have a 1.8L True Vtec motor at the faction of the cost of type R motor?

Drifter995
24-12-2014, 09:47 PM
Why would even bother going ls vtec if your basically swaping a type R internals in there?

I thought the whole point was have a 1.8L True Vtec motor at the faction of the cost of type R motor?

Iunno... Reading old honda tech threads about building reliable lsvtec engines. Something about the stock ls bottom ends not being able to cope with the high revs and what not the vtec engines normally do/ the head and shit does, which can cause unreliable builds in the not so long run.

Was curious, as I was looking into a b18 lsvtec swap. But, costs a lot less to get vtec (doesn't have to be type r, but eh) pistons and crank than a whole engine. Besides, everybody is swapping out the stock parts (probably bar crank) for forgies these days to run power.
But yeah, from memory of the thread, you can have stock ls bottom end and vtec head, but it isn't likely to love life due to the extra stress of running in the higher rev range that the ecu and head would want.

Obviously, some info gets mixed up in my memory. find what's wrong/ what's actually not wrong, correct whatever. Bit of correction in the shitty memory bank helps bump things up

RenzokukenJ
25-12-2014, 03:00 AM
Man, are you Dylan Baxter by any chance?

Drifter995
25-12-2014, 08:12 AM
Man, are you Dylan Baxter by any chance?
Me? Negs