PDA

View Full Version : My New 1987 ED9 CRX

White Noise
20-12-2014, 07:59 PM
Hey guys and gals,

Got this this morning in Orange for 1k. Only a few minor problems that I can see. Guy thought fuel pump was stuffed so he changed it but still wouldn't start. Turns out the battery was dead so after a top up of distilled water and a charge starts first time, every time :)

Needs a new ignition barrel and a few little things but am really happy with the buy. Don't have any future plans at the moment but we all know that changes fairly quickly.

Any and all comments welcome.

Thank you,

Aaron.

hondapop
28-12-2014, 09:41 PM
Hi Aaron, a very nice pick-up by what I can see, haha (try hosting your pics on Photobucket and linking from there). One man's foolishness netted you a good buy it would seem. Talk about not checking the bl**ding obvious. "Ahhh! my car won't start, must be the fuel pump. Doh! Who checks the battery fluid these days anyway". Good to see another stockie being saved. A tin top by the look of it too. Don't ever wish it had a sunroof.

White Noise
29-12-2014, 01:59 PM
Joke was a little on me. It started first timer every time for about a week, lol. Tested the relay this time (he told me he done it) turns out it was clicking over every time so I resoldered the circuit board and boom. All good (Fingers crossed).

Come across a few things though. Blower motor isn't working at the moment so I need to troubleshoot that. Few rust spots under the panels inside but nothing too bad I have seen so far. Only one thermo fan kicks in. Battery isn't bolted down, was a hole in the exhaust but some putty and wrap an all good so far. Trying to get it ready before I go to Japan but don't want to spend too much more between now and then. Getting a blue slip next week so I know exactly what I need to do.

I wanted a project and I have got one, lol.

Renaissance_x
29-12-2014, 02:41 PM
Good to see its in the right hands.

EKVTIR-T
29-12-2014, 03:39 PM
Joke was a little on me. It started first timer every time for about a week, lol.

Come across a few things though. Blower motor isn't working at the moment so I need to troubleshoot that..does it only work on high?

its probably the resistor in the blower box deteriorated

hondapop
29-12-2014, 03:41 PM
The blower fan will be a must for a roady because it operates the demister, the radiator fan on the drivers side is the only one that works (cuts in and out) unless you're running the A/C, then both work continuously. Battery will need clamping. Just a note here, the correct placement of the battery is with the terminals toward the guard. The OEM clamp is a plastic coated metal angle held with diagonal rods. If your battery has the terminals toward the engine, the danger is the angle can short against them.

White Noise
29-12-2014, 04:05 PM
Thanks guys.

This is my 3rd one. I don't want to douche it up. Just tasteful mods.

The blower doesn't work at all. Tried to use a paperclip to jump it but would work at all. Thought the blower would be a must. Will have a closer look over the next few days. maybe I missed something. I could see that part being fun to find :/

The fan on the passenger side works but the drivers side doesn't.

The battery terminals do face the guard. I got a universal battery tie down but it didn't fit at all. Might have to do some fiddling around and drill some holes to accommodate it.

EKVTIR-T
29-12-2014, 04:08 PM
you will see the resistor on top of the box,undo it and see if its intact or as below broken

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b287/leisner76/fan-resistor-1.jpg (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/leisner76/media/fan-resistor-1.jpg.html)

White Noise
29-12-2014, 04:12 PM
Sweet.

Is there a way to fix it or not really? Best place to buy I new one if broken? And I assume if this is broken then replaced the blower will work again?

Is there certain things they will look for in a blue slip?

The guy told me it is just a pink slip but a lot more paperwork in making sure all the numbers line up.

White Noise
29-12-2014, 04:13 PM
Also assume I need to remove the box to get at it?

EKVTIR-T
29-12-2014, 04:16 PM
nah,you can access it while the box is in,its right at the front as you look at it

can get from wreckers but rare,or from honda about 90bucks lol

White Noise
29-12-2014, 04:18 PM
Good old Honda. Ripping people off since whenever they opened, lol. Sweet. I will take a look soon and see if its that. May be a trip to dapto for pick a part. DOubt they have a CRX though. Could I get it out of an old civic by chance?

Appreciate the help mate :)

White Noise
29-12-2014, 05:14 PM
So it is broken. Wondering if an electrician could fix? Would this stop te blower working?

White Noise
29-12-2014, 05:16 PM
So turns out mine is broken. If I got a new one would this fix the blower not working? Maybe an electrician could fix?

EKVTIR-T
29-12-2014, 05:50 PM
I don't think it can be repaired,maybe someone more knowledgable in electronics can chime in..

imo better to replace though

White Noise
29-12-2014, 08:33 PM
I will take to an electrician tomorrow and see what they say and will let you know. I spoke to a few guys on CRX Australia and they said a new one should fix the problem. Fingers crossed.

hondapop
30-12-2014, 07:22 AM
Any of the Civic ED's (or even other models) should be the same. It's the sort of part that would be interchangeable. Certainly a broken one will stop it working.

White Noise
01-01-2015, 02:21 PM
Sooooo no one wanted to touch it. I am going to Dapto pick a part tomorrow in hopes they have one. If not its only $77 from Honda. Found a few other things like my car door strap broke from the fender side. They don't bolt on either they are welded from inside the front fender so should be fun.

hondapop
01-01-2015, 09:58 PM
Not surprised no auto electricians would try to fix it. Cost would have been more than Honda's to custom make a resistor probably. I would think it'll be a pretty standard part across several models, it's only a heater blower, they don't change them much.

Your door stay is gonn'a be more difficult. The bracket is inside the box section of the door hinge pillar and pokes through a hole in that. Whether you can get access to it from inside the car by removing the interior trim panels, will depend on whether there are any available holes in the box section behind them and near that stay bracket. It will have been spot welded in place. Has it actually broken into pieces or just away from it's spot welds. If the bracket is still in one piece and still attached to the door stay arm, you may be able to pull it up against the inside of the door pillar and drill and screw, self tapping screws into the "wings" of the bracket and secure it that way. Post some pics if you can to get a better idea of what's going on.

grifty
01-01-2015, 11:35 PM
You can't get access on the inside to weld it unless you start cutting bits of the pillar away, best bet is to weld it from the outside.

White Noise
03-01-2015, 01:15 PM
Got a mate who is going to have a look. He will probably have to weld from the outside but see what he says.

I got another door strap but its a little different. Same size and bolts properly to the door but the end that broke bolts to the frame instead of how they had this one which was welded.

hondapop
04-01-2015, 09:01 PM
Can make out what looks to be the hole in the door? But what's that thing that appears to be red hot. A pic of the replacement part and it's bolt on bracket might be more helpful. Is it a Honda replacement part? If it is, it might be intended to rivet or metal screw to the pillar.

cbauto
04-01-2015, 09:31 PM
I got one FS.