PDA

View Full Version : Headunit with GPS under $800?

cougarbait
21-01-2015, 10:21 AM
Hi guys, upgrading my stock speakers to Pioneer TS-G1644R's all around and looking to upgrade my headunit to one that has navigation built in. Anyone able to suggest any good options under $800? Thanks :D

PHO
21-01-2015, 11:33 AM
Have a look here, dont really have much choice for a good gps unit under 800.
http://www.soundmaster.com.au/Car-Audio/DVD-And-Visual/GPS-DVD-Players/

Should have looked to upgrade during boxingday-nye last year. JB HiFi had a end of year sale.
Managed to get this sony one below with tomtom module/reverse cam for $700

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-audio/in-car-entertainment/sony/sony-xav712navx-7-tft-active-touch-panel-monitor-with-bonus-reverse-camera-dig/646411/

project_sokudo
21-01-2015, 06:58 PM
Hi guys, upgrading my stock speakers to Pioneer TS-G1644R's all around and looking to upgrade my headunit to one that has navigation built in. Anyone able to suggest any good options under $800? Thanks :D

Might cop some hate from this, but some of the eBay units aren't too bad. The only things wrong with them is probably the hands-free because the microphone is mounted in the worse possible position, but you can get away with a decent one for about $400-$500.

cougarbait
22-01-2015, 07:23 AM
I'd rather a known brand that sells at local retail shops to be honest just incase something did go wrong - thats why I avoid ebay for certain things because if you need to return it it a) costs you money and b) wastes your time - I'm hoping to have it all installed on the spot also.

Do many of you run a double din unit with GPS etc? And what does it mean the USB is only at the rear? With lots of the new ones it says its at the rear but my current single din one has one in front in the corner.

PHO
22-01-2015, 08:09 AM
JB HiFi currently has a 30% off car audio now. That sony unit I have is just under 1k now.

USB rear means theres a cable that you can route into your glove box or centre console. So that you dont have the ugly usb stick sticking out of the headunit or cable running from the front of the headunit.

cougarbait
22-01-2015, 08:59 AM
JB HiFi currently has a 30% off car audio now. That sony unit I have is just under 1k now.

USB rear means theres a cable that you can route into your glove box or centre console. So that you dont have the ugly usb stick sticking out of the headunit or cable running from the front of the headunit.

Can you advise me on what to look out for when picking the one I like? I'm hoping to find a good Pioneer one, fan of the brand but obviously if there's something better I'll go for it. And thanks for that, I thought so, my friend had his run under the carpet and up next to the handbrake for his ipod but I used a USB for my music so that'l be perfect hidden away.

EDIT: And does anyone notice much glare? Thanks! :)

cougarbait
22-01-2015, 12:07 PM
Bumpin'

Are there any decent Pioneer ones? Or is anyone able to explain why the headunit may be worth shelling out $1k or so?

project_sokudo
22-01-2015, 06:35 PM
I'd rather a known brand that sells at local retail shops to be honest just incase something did go wrong - thats why I avoid ebay for certain things because if you need to return it it a) costs you money and b) wastes your time - I'm hoping to have it all installed on the spot also.

Do many of you run a double din unit with GPS etc? And what does it mean the USB is only at the rear? With lots of the new ones it says its at the rear but my current single din one has one in front in the corner.

That's true. Maybe have a look around and post the link so people can confirm with you whether its good or not. If you're planning to DIY will be even more cost effective :)

cougarbait
22-01-2015, 07:55 PM
I think I have to push my budget further towards $1k - Pioneer have just released a new range compatible with Android/Apple etc, think it automatically detects or something. But they had $1100, $1600 and $2100 headunits.

Can anyone explain the differences between them? The appearance looks exactly the same for each model and why is it so expensive having GPS built into your headunit? And also what do I need to look out for? Not sure if I mentioned this before but they had things like "Navigation compatible: No (or Yes)" which I'm guessing means you need to manually load the GPS on etc but I want mine all good to go.

cougarbait
22-01-2015, 08:14 PM
Think I've picked my headunit, what do you guys think? http://www.pioneer.com.au/au/products/25/109/281/AVH-X8650BT/specs.html

And whats so bad about having the same model speakers all around?

Drifter995
23-01-2015, 11:04 PM
That seems decent.

Don't touch ebay ones. They don't work at all. 90% of them break, or don't work properly.

As for speakers. As I posted in the other thread, you ideally only want fronts. So, spend the money you'd spend on all 4 or 6, and buy a good pair of splits. It'll sound much better

cougarbait
25-01-2015, 02:04 PM
Revised setup after a bit more research:

Headunit: Pioneer F60DAB $2000 (AVIC-F40BT or similar found being resold for $800 on eBay so not 100% set due to the $2k price tag, need the in built nav though)

Speakers: Pioneer TS-A1605C $105 (front) and Pioneer TS-A1675S $70 (rear)

Sub: Pioneer TS-WX610A $399 (self powered and hidden inside spare wheel)

Soundproofing: $99 x 2

Total: $2673

Wish the headunit wasn't $2k but does everything I need and more, don't want to end up buying something else and wishing I'd purchased the F60DAB due to features or screen size etc. Thoughts? :)

Keep in mind whenever I upgrade to another car I'll probably replace certain things and re-sell or install it in my new ride (mainly the headunit).

AusVTi-R
25-01-2015, 02:52 PM
nek minnit mighty car mods ipad swap.

cougarbait
25-01-2015, 03:06 PM
I don't have an ipad.

AusVTi-R
25-01-2015, 03:23 PM
I don't have an ipad.

Comes under your price of 800 if youre up for the diy but

cougarbait
25-01-2015, 05:14 PM
Comes under your price of 800 if youre up for the diy but

I'm not sure what you mean, you mean install an iPad instead of a Pioneer headunit? If so there are cheaper headunits available that look the same as Pioneer's newest model but they use Siri/Google maps for GPS which means plugging my iphone in whenever I need to use the nav. As I say it I know it doesn't seem like much of an issue but I know I'd be sitting there going "why didn't I just buy that other model?" lol :P

AusVTi-R
25-01-2015, 06:39 PM
I'm not sure what you mean, you mean install an iPad instead of a Pioneer headunit? If so there are cheaper headunits available that look the same as Pioneer's newest model but they use Siri/Google maps for GPS which means plugging my iphone in whenever I need to use the nav. As I say it I know it doesn't seem like much of an issue but I know I'd be sitting there going "why didn't I just buy that other model?" lol :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-ALYArl5S4

lez be honest, i just wanted to see this done by somebody else

cougarbait
25-01-2015, 07:32 PM
Yeah, really don't want to buy an iPad man lol :P

Anyone have thoughts on the rest of the setup? Thanks for the replies!

itsdle
06-02-2015, 01:10 PM
Latest model head units have Mirrorlink and Apple Carplay which should enable you to 'mirror' your device. My Xperia Z3 with Alpine HU does Mirrorlink with Google Maps as the main interface. Something worth looking into if you don't want a dedicated GPS unit and can live with using your phone's GPS signal. By doing this, you'll definitely find something <$800.

EDIT: this will require your phone to be compatible. Most flagship smartphones will have this feature but best to check to make sure before you commit.