PDA

View Full Version : Accord Euro Acceleration Vibration - Clutch

adamc11
28-01-2015, 09:30 PM
Hi guys,

I have an 05 Euro with 170,000kms. I noticed at about 120,000kms slight vibration under acceleration which I put down to the front driveshafts. I didn't bother doing anything about it, and my girlfriend has been using the car since.

I drove it recently and noticed the clutch didn't feel right. I thought it may be the fact that I drive a different car now and I wasn't used to it, although I do know she rides the clutch way too much.

So I booked it in today and got the front driveshafts replaced with rebuilt ones. Not vibrating nearly as badly but at high speeds 80km/h + you can feel some vibration in 3rd/4th/5th/6th gears when accelerating hard.

Mechanic has advised the clutch is the issue. I've been told a clutch costs $800 + labour approx $700, so it's $1500. Does not include replacement flywheel. Does this sound right?

Is there any urgency to replace the clutch? It doesn't seem to be slipping. Just doesn't feel quite right when taking off from standstill and obviously the car is vibrating at higher speeds. Mechanic advised it's better to replace it as when it goes it could take the flywheel with it. Just after some opinions?

Many Thanks.

Fredoops
29-01-2015, 11:42 AM
Dunno much about the issue but the cost for clutch replacement is excessive.

soongster
29-01-2015, 04:21 PM
sounds excessive that quote... not much of help on your current issue, but IF and when you do get the clutch replaced, might want to change the thrust bearing too?

Jasemas
29-01-2015, 07:17 PM
sounds excessive that quote... not much of help on your current issue, but IF and when you do get the clutch replaced, might want to change the thrust bearing too?

And the rear main seal hehe

tony1234
30-01-2015, 05:08 PM
Hi guys,

I have an 05 Euro with 170,000kms. I noticed at about 120,000kms slight vibration under acceleration which I put down to the front driveshafts. I didn't bother doing anything about it, and my girlfriend has been using the car since.

I drove it recently and noticed the clutch didn't feel right. I thought it may be the fact that I drive a different car now and I wasn't used to it, although I do know she rides the clutch way too much.

So I booked it in today and got the front driveshafts replaced with rebuilt ones. Not vibrating nearly as badly but at high speeds 80km/h + you can feel some vibration in 3rd/4th/5th/6th gears when accelerating hard.

Mechanic has advised the clutch is the issue. I've been told a clutch costs $800 + labour approx $700, so it's $1500. Does not include replacement flywheel. Does this sound right?

Is there any urgency to replace the clutch? It doesn't seem to be slipping. Just doesn't feel quite right when taking off from standstill and obviously the car is vibrating at higher speeds. Mechanic advised it's better to replace it as when it goes it could take the flywheel with it. Just after some opinions?

Many Thanks.

Labour cost sounds about right.It's a big job.Have to drop subframe etc.=pain in the ass job.Get an Exedy stage 1 heavy duty clutch.While you're at it get a lightened flywheel.

30-01-2015, 08:34 PM
keep us update, same issue with me car

cl9_luxury
09-02-2015, 09:05 AM
I must admit the vibration does seem unusual to be coming from the clutch, i'd be pretty dissapointed if I was told it was the clutch and it didn't end up fixing the issue.

Once the clutch is clamped onto the flywheel there shouldn't be any issues unless the actual clutch plate was bent which I doubt. The flywheel could be unbalanced possibly, but you would have to take a fair bit of material off it (in certain areas, as generally a clutch wears the flywheel constantly in the same spot apart from areas that may have received too much heat).

soopaman
09-02-2015, 03:14 PM
$800 is abit much for a clutch... replacement clutch or performance one?
The vibration is from cv's, just did mine and now running smooth.

12-02-2015, 12:12 PM
$800 is abit much for a clutch... replacement clutch or performance one?
The vibration is from cv's, just did mine and now running smooth.

may i ask what is CV? how much did it cost you?

Jasemas
12-02-2015, 10:38 PM
CV - constant velocity joint AKA driveshaft
Connects your transmission to the wheels so your car can GO GO GO

soopaman
17-02-2015, 05:12 PM
what he said, i got some aftermarket ones $300 delivered duno if thats good or bad, and my brother and I just diy at home

konektado
18-02-2015, 05:10 PM
Ill sell you my exedy HD clutch(pink box) for $600 brand new

Jastone
13-03-2015, 07:51 PM
I had a pretty noticeable vibration accelerating from 80 up to 100. I had to get the driveshafts done. My car has 151km (2006 Euro Lux) and it also needed the clutch replaced as it was going to go within the next few months. I also had a pretty major service done at the same time... it was pretty expensive overall $_$.

The car feels much better now than when I bought it (at 115km about 2.5 years ago). The clutch feels comparable to my wife's 2010 Mazda 3 now.

amant02
13-03-2015, 08:24 PM
That clutch price is overpriced, unless his getting you a 3puk racing clutch.

Wow $700 for labour that's cheap. Most places I know want 1k for labour.

I would also as others have said, Rear Main seal - $50, The release bearing/Pressure Plate - Mine came with the clutch.

You could use a K20 Flywheel and Clutch - Little performance upgrade.

adamc11
30-04-2015, 05:12 AM
This is just a follow up to let everyone know what happened. The clutch started slipping so I got it replaced and the flywheel machined. Parts + Labour came to $1350.

The good news is... no more vibrations! So the issues with my car were the driveshafts and the clutch.