PDA

View Full Version : B18C7 IM's

CptKaos
29-01-2015, 04:50 PM
I'm just starting to mock up the engine in the chassis and I can already see I'm just out of clearance between the top of the OEM ITR IM and the body, because of the way the IM curves up.

Ideally I would use ITB's instead, but can't at least until I have it registered, probably...

So are there any aftermarket/alternate IM's that don't come up so high? 15-20mm lower is all I'd need.
Otherwise my options as I see it would be to
a) Machine a "wedge" out of the manifold face to increase the downward angle, though this would upset the airflow and injector angles as well, not ideal
b) Make new, straighter runners between the plenum and manifold face, again probably not ideal for airflow, and alot of work, although at least injector angle would be maintained.]

Any ideas? Bearing in mind I need to keep it at least looking OEM so aftermarket ECU's and ITB would be a last resort, that will come after registration.

TIA
Alex

bennjamin
29-01-2015, 06:31 PM
Try BLOX to suit. Shorter fatter and I'm pretty sure lower ? They appear to sit around 45 degrees from port to plenum centre bore compared to around 60-70 compared to standard. I maybe wrong but its worth a look

CptKaos
29-01-2015, 08:42 PM
Excellent thanks, found a place in NSW that stocks them, I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if I can get some dimensions off them.

CptKaos
30-01-2015, 05:22 PM
No good unfortunately, the Blox IM is actually 1-1.5cm taller according to the helpful chaps at Shift Performance, I think I'll just get a wedge machined off the mounting face, not ideal but good enough for rego me thinks...

bennjamin
31-01-2015, 09:52 AM
Not good - I'd rather chop and weld an old b16 intake manifold to your liking than put a wedge.

rc_
31-01-2015, 10:11 AM
edelbrock victor x look a bit lower than stock. They have very short runners too so may fit where you need it.

Worth a try, can get them from ebay about same price as skunk2/blox.

CptKaos
01-02-2015, 09:42 AM
Not good - I'd rather chop and weld an old b16 intake manifold to your liking than put a wedge.
As I understand it the heads are same for the B16 and B18C7, what is the difference with the IM's?
Same studs, port shape and size, sensor and vac stuff?
What would be the advantage chopping one of them instead of the one I have?

edelbrock victor x look a bit lower than stock. They have very short runners too so may fit where you need it.

Worth a try, can get them from ebay about same price as skunk2/blox.
Certainly look like they would fit, being optimized for 7-10k rpm is a concern though...
Thanks for the input lads, appreciate it!

rc_
01-02-2015, 10:35 AM
Certainly look like they would fit, being optimized for 7-10k rpm is a concern though...
Thanks for the input lads, appreciate it!

Maybe that's why they're not so popular here. They have another version with longer runners, think it is Performer X.

I haven't used either, no idea on performance. Only suggested based on packaging requirements.