PDA

View Full Version : What would you change and why? (audio setup)

cougarbait
30-01-2015, 08:10 PM
Headunit: Pioneer F60DAB $2k (it'll be sold on when I buy a new car)
Speakers: Pioneer TS-A1605C $105 (front) and Pioneer TS-A1675S $70 (rear)
Sub: Pioneer TS-WX610A $399 (self powered and hidden inside spare wheel)
Soundproofing: $99 x 2
Total: $2673

This was with some help from the guys at Carbon but I'm curious as to what I should change and why? Headunit, I don't like spending $2k but it'll be put to use daily and has GPS built in as well as some other cool stuff. Why the sub? I like to have room in the boot, this sub sits inside the spare wheel and sounds pretty damn good in the car I heard it on.

Any help appreciated :D I'm pretty much upgrading from stock so I'm thinking regardless the above setup will sound a hell of alot better than it does now.

cbauto
08-02-2015, 12:35 AM
Headunit: Eclipse AVN827GA (why - cos ballin unit)
Speakers: Focal 165krx2 6.5" (why - cos ballin splits)
Sub: Focal SBP30 12" (why - cos ballin sub)
Soundproofing: $99 x 6 more = better
Total: ???? just put it on CC

This was with some help from the guys at Carbon but I'm curious as to what I should change and why? Headunit, I don't like spending $2k but it'll be put to use daily and has GPS built in as well as some other cool stuff. Why the sub? I like to have room in the boot, this sub sits inside the spare wheel and sounds pretty damn good in the car I heard it on.

Any help appreciated :D I'm pretty much upgrading from stock so I'm thinking regardless the above setup will sound a hell of alot better than it does now.
bump.

amant02
08-02-2015, 01:21 AM
Headunit: Pioneer F60DAB $2k (it'll be sold on when I buy a new car)
Speakers: Pioneer TS-A1605C $105 (front) and Pioneer TS-A1675S $70 (rear)
Sub: Pioneer TS-WX610A $399 (self powered and hidden inside spare wheel)
Soundproofing: $99 x 2
Total: $2673

Yeh do it!, Id get an amp while your at it. Your already spending so much,why not just go all the way.

(that headunit will not power them splits to their max ability hence +amp)

http://www.alpine.com.au/showPage.php?pid=405 - Have a look before you buy, for wut your spending. Much can be had.

itsdle
10-02-2015, 08:06 AM
Don't have much experience with a hidden sub in the boot but I can only imagine all sorts of boot rattle if things aren't tightened down? For $399 you can probably pick up a Focal iBus 2.1 underseat sub which comes with 2 channel amp (2 x 55w RMS) which is pretty close to the nominal power input of those front splits. You could then power the rear speakers via the head unit as a filler. Also if possible, look to spend a little bit more on soundproofing such as Focal BAM which IMO is a much better quality than Dynamat. The Pioneer HU looks feature-rich however there's something to consider when buying a headunit. Pioneer's website states that it has a 13-band graphic equalizer which you would use to tune your system however this may end up being quite limited depending on what type of user you are. If this doesn't matter to you then it sounds like a solid unit.

AlS2k
02-03-2015, 09:55 PM
You're spending an awful lot on the head unit, with some pretty average quality speakers and a really average sub.
If you're crossing the speakers over to the sub, you can probably get away without putting in a separate amplifier - a decent quality high output head unit will happily drive a set of reasonably sensitive (90db) splits without breaking a sweat. I'm talking about playing - loudly >110dB - but for you to hear, not people outside the car.

Focal make some seriously good quality gear - their OEM their drivers for speaker esoterica selling for over $100k, with an impressive amount of the detail and control trickling down to their consumer ranges. I definitely recommend checking out their compact subwoofers, as they can also be mounted under seats.

I bought a pair of these and am very happy with them driven directly from an Alpine IDA-X305. https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/auto-kits/scanspeak-discovery-820013-6-autosound-system-pair/
A hallmark of an exceptionally good system is that you often don't realise just how loud you have it turned up, because your ears aren't being strained by the distortion and tonal imbalance so often present in consumer gear.
It sounds like you're set on the Pioneer head unit - just ensure that you order it with the calibration mic, as correction makes a significant difference. Couple it with a Focal sub and Scan-Speak drivers and you'll have a fantastic sounding system.

arverson
14-03-2015, 10:47 PM
IMO, save up a little more for better speakers. I feel you may end up disappointed with them.

Prob too late since this is an old thread..

NightKids
15-03-2015, 12:14 AM
Man for something over $2500 that is a really crap equipment list! Get away from Pioneer! And even Alpine...

Maybe Alpine for HU but thats about it...

OnkyTonk
15-09-2015, 11:08 AM
I've heard first hand the difference amplification makes to a decent set of splits/component speakers.

At the end of the day it depends what's most important to you.

For clean, punchy, high end sound, a good set of splits that are amplified appropriately are hard to look past. The good thing is, is that these are easily upgraded/changed.

With a decent sub and sub-par speakers combination, you'll find your music will lack something in the middle range. There will be a lack of mid range punch and clarity.

Unfortunately, most of your money is being spent on your headunit.

I'd say you're better off with something like the AVH-X8750BT that supports carplay and android auto. Then use your phone plugged into the headunit for GPS.
I personally have the AVH-X8650BT and much prefer this method.

Save yourself $1000 - Or perhaps spend that on a decent set of component speakers, amp and door treatment.

You won't believe the difference in sound.