PDA

View Full Version : Identifying ZC engine model

hondapop
18-02-2015, 07:59 AM
I have a ZC that came out of an 89 CRX with the single groove 20 spline gearbox (confirmed 89). Most ZC/D16A8's that I have seen have a light weight accessory belt pulley on the front end of the crankshaft. This one has a much heavier one (and with a slightly bigger diameter centre hole) which appears to be a dynamic balancer type.

The clutch plate is a 200mm diam, which agrees with the g/box model, but on measuring the flywheel clutch face (which is slightly recessed into the flywheel) it measures a tight 212mm, which is the size of the clutch fitted to the 90-91 update AUDM CRX's. So, can I safely assume that this engine is originally from the 90-91 car and will take the 212mm 20 spline clutch and pressure plate?

Did the change in front pulley type to dynamic only occur with this model?

ECU-MAN
22-02-2015, 12:17 PM
The ZC was released in the ED9 CRX as well as the EG6 Si Civic. The ED9 was OBDO, so it used a different distributor with a sensor on the exhaust cam where the OBDI ZC used the OBDI type dizzy with all sensors in it.

The OBDI ZC also had a larger diameter crankshaft stub where the pulley attaches so the OBD0 pulley will not fit.

hondapop
22-02-2015, 02:47 PM
Aha! so it seems I have a block from JDM EG Si Civic, with possibly a head off a ZC or D16A8 with the TDC sensor as it's fitted along with the associated bolting bracket, although I guess that might be able to be fitted to the original head if that's what it is. Are they line bored to match the head? Did have an EG5 Auto with the D16A8 OBD1 in it once, gutless wonder. Can you identify the head's age/model from these letters/numbers embossed above the exhaust ports Hm2, 88, 321.

This is what it looks like under the valve cover
http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac188/tootnkumin/HondaPops%20CRX%20and%20projects%20pics/moreGen2pics009.jpg (http://s898.photobucket.com/user/tootnkumin/media/HondaPops%20CRX%20and%20projects%20pics/moreGen2pics009.jpg.html)