PDA

View Full Version : 5th Generation Guide

Squalled
18-02-2015, 11:50 AM
Hey OzHonda,

Thought of making this guide to help anyone who is interested or looking at 5th generation Prelude's. Mainly giving my personal experience with owning my VTi-R.

The Australian market had 3 models available, Si, VTi-R and ATTS with the VTi-R and ATTS been similar in specs. The ATTS model came with what is known 'Active Torque Transfer System'. It is an electronically controlled differential, which was able to transfer torque to each side when cornering. Bear in mind it will not be noticeable like an LSD in a Type R Integra for instance in a straight line.

A 4 speed automatic and 5 speed manual were available on the Si and VTi-R were as the ATTS models only came with the 5 speed manual.

The engines available were:

F22Z6 - 118 KW 201 Nm - Si Model
H22A4 - 143 KW 212 Nm - VTi-R & ATTS
H22Z1 - 147 KW 212 Nm - VTi-R & ATTS (1999 and above models only)

All of these models did come with cruise control, power windows and climate control. The VTi-R and ATTS models also came with sunroofs from factory, which was an option on the Si. Other options include fog lights and lip kit.

A side from the basics, when buying a Prelude there a certain things that you should keep in mind other then the usual set of checks that you would do on any car you look at purchasing (service history, crash history etc.)

- Preludes do burn a large amount of oil. Hondas do burn oil but Preludes burn a fair amount of oil especially when using VTEC a lot. Just always keep in mind to monitor oil levels and that all Preludes will burn oil fairly quickly. I do sometimes call the H series motor the 'hungry series' because of the oil they consume.

- Leaks can be common in all models. A major turn off for some people is that Preludes leak oil. It is very common to buy one these days even with a small leak. Keep in mind leaks can always be fixed. If leaks are happening, make sure you monitor your oil regularly to check how much is been lost.

- Make sure the cruise control is working. These days most cruise control units like mine, may or may not be working. It hasn’t bothered me as I never really need it but keep in mind it may be an issue that isn’t always quick to solve as it could be something as simple as a fuse or a wire that needs to be replaced.

- Automatic gearboxes are not the best in the world. A major problem with the automatic transmission in Preludes, VTEC models especially is how often a problem will occur with them.

Even the manual transmission wasn’t the best Honda made, still a really nice gearbox though. I would personally stay away from automatic gearboxes just because of the problems that have happened with them. After 1998 the transmissions were improved but I would just keep away from them (just my opinion).

- Make sure the sunroof is working. My sunroof is a bit shaky when it opens but it’s nothing major, as the tracks for the sunroof just need to be greased.

- Make sure the car feels planted and drives well in corners. Like all cars, the suspension will need replacing. The Prelude was designed with good handling for its size in mind so make sure the car is able to perform.

- Parts both aftermarket and OEM can be harder to come by. Unlike most Civics and Integras of the time, Prelude parts are a little harder to get (in my case). Aftermarket support is not even close to that of a B series of K series engine. In saying that, there are still plenty of modifications and OEM parts that can be found.

If you keep these things in mind, owning a Prelude will be a breeze. I personally think it is the ultimate 2-door coupe for cruising that Honda has made, with some power and torque when you’re feeling a little right foot happy.

The Prelude is personally the only Honda 4 cylinder VTEC that actually pushes you back in your seat when VTEC is engaged. The H series engine is just as reliable as it’s B series brother but with a little added torque that the Prelude needs.

If I have missed anything, feel free to add to this thread.

Thanks for reading.

exquisit
19-02-2015, 03:11 PM
good read mate!

RenzokukenJ
19-02-2015, 03:27 PM
oh nice

u mad?
19-02-2015, 04:54 PM
The Prelude is personally the only Honda 4 cylinder VTEC that actually pushes you back in your seat when VTEC is engaged

so it has a midrange flatspot?

RenzokukenJ
19-02-2015, 05:00 PM
Yh it's best to get a small hatch back with small turbo, similar to polo

Squalled
19-02-2015, 06:48 PM
Thanks guys.

Just from personal experience u mad? I have noticed a small flat spot to be honest.

curtis265
19-02-2015, 06:55 PM
yeah guys prelude on a stock tune has a pretty obvious flat spot

RenzokukenJ
19-02-2015, 07:27 PM
It's kinda like

BoooooooooBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
. ^

Right there

Squalled
20-02-2015, 08:01 AM
It's kinda like

BoooooooooBAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
. ^

Right there

My exact thought.

exquisit
20-02-2015, 09:21 AM
what bolt ons can get rid of the flat spot?

RenzokukenJ
20-02-2015, 09:40 AM
Turbo kit/super charger

exquisit
20-02-2015, 09:50 AM
no intake or header/catback work?

Squalled
20-02-2015, 10:06 AM
I personally run a full exhaust and intake, no tune obviously. Even when I just had the exhaust with no aftermarket intake, there was still a flat spot.

RenzokukenJ
20-02-2015, 11:12 AM
You won't be able to get rid of that flat spot without a tune

curtis265
20-02-2015, 11:32 AM
what bolt ons can get rid of the flat spot?

a tune

RenzokukenJ
20-02-2015, 11:33 AM
A destiny's child tune?

u mad?
20-02-2015, 04:03 PM
say my name say my name
when nobody is around you
say baby i love

RenzokukenJ
20-02-2015, 04:25 PM
A destiny's child tune?