PDA

View Full Version : Recharging new-ish battery that's been sitting for 2 years How to recharge?

3K9
14-03-2015, 09:34 PM
Hey peeps,

went to Supercheap and got myself a SCA 12V Auto 4 AMP 3 stage battery charger, to recharge my new-ish -been-used-for-a-short -period battery that's flat.

So from the user manual

Red - Indicates charger power is ready for charging
Green - Battery charging in boost & absorption stage

So if the key is turned off. Only the Red light would be turned on.

If the key is turned to second position. Green light turns on as well, and the car makes this ticking noise, and dash lights go off.

So is the turn key to 2nd position the right way?

Thanks

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ZXR21lS-Mm0/VQQQPhvUpXI/AAAAAAAAAPI/mCQ-mOLKmGQ/w1026-h577-no/DSC_0239.JPG

Jasemas
14-03-2015, 10:16 PM
Pretty sure you need to disconnect the battery from the car to use a trickle charger

bennjamin
14-03-2015, 10:27 PM
Pretty sure you need to disconnect the battery from the car to use a trickle charger

Many trickle charger/tenders have an optional battery mounted easy clip on/off connection for on vehicle charging. I have had and currently have this setup on bikes and cars with a CTEK charger

Jasemas
14-03-2015, 10:28 PM
Yummm CTEK charger
So good!

3K9
14-03-2015, 10:36 PM

Ah thanks.

3K9
14-03-2015, 11:06 PM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-AyuLPX94rVU/VQQyGpHb09I/AAAAAAAAAQQ/UrOu6wpxuMQ/w1026-h577-no/DSC_0243.JPG

Peeps, I took the battery out, but not charging. Battery's fked? Indicators seems to be red. Seems to be leaking a bit of fluid.

Hondarally
15-03-2015, 08:26 AM
What indicator is red? The one on the charger, or the window in the battery?

Sometimes if a battery is completely flat, those electronic chargers can't charge them. It's as if they can't recognise that they're connected to a battery, and don't actually do anything. I've had this happen before, and had to use my old school charger to kick start the process (one of the old the manual switch types). Once I got a bit of charge into the battery the new electronic charger worked fine.

If your battery is leaking fluid, that's sulphuric acid. Wash that shit off before it eats holes in you. Unlikely for it to be leaking though, unless it's been tipped over or over-filled at some point.

3K9
15-03-2015, 09:10 AM
The window of battery shows red, which according to battery says, replace battery.

markismaximus
15-03-2015, 09:29 AM
If the battery has been sitting and was completely flat it's most likely stuffed. It might charge and show voltage, but as soon as you apply heavy load (i.e cranking the starter motor) it will essentially drop to zero. Take it to SCA (they accept batteries for recycling) and buy a new battery. If you plan on letting it sit for years on end its best to periodically charge it

Hondarally
16-03-2015, 06:37 AM
Yep that was my next suggestion. If it won't take charge with an older charger then it's cactus. Highly likely if the battery has been allowed to run completely flat. Lead acid batteries don't like that.

roy8532
26-03-2015, 10:55 PM
depending on how many volts you have on the battery, normal chargers can not charge a battery under 5 volts, you will need a special charger for that.

Or if you keen on some DIY, get some epsom salt mix it in distilled water and put it in the battery, you might have a chance of reviving the battery. there is a youtube video showing the process.

3K9
26-03-2015, 11:07 PM
Thanks all, will just go and get myself a new battery.