PDA

View Full Version : Fitted Spoon Front Strut Bar for CL7 onto CL9

Pum[Z]
13-04-2005, 06:05 PM
Well as the Title suggests fitted The Spoon Front Strut Bar that was supposed to be for a CL7 to our Aussie Spec Accord Euro's...

Thanx to Tanghy for ordering it and installing it as well. Wasn't that hard to install, we thought it was going to be hell taking this off then that off.. But all in all it was an easy fit only problem was the throttle or the Drive By Wire system was in the way and we couldn't put one of the bolts back on. There are 3 bolts holding it. We could get 2 of them had to zip tie the third of it so it wouldn't move just in case...

http://img220.echo.cx/img220/3278/dscf00328ho.jpg

http://img220.echo.cx/img220/483/dscf00338vn.jpg

Well The Spoon Strut Bar looks very plain and blends in well with the engine bay... It doesn't jump out like the Comptech strut bars where yeah u can see it.. This hides below it all the clutter and blends in very well to make it look like factory....

But the best but is how it performs.. I have 19inch mag wheels which weigh let me tell u a damnload.. Under heavy cornering when i was pulling out and acclerating my VSA would always come on.. Not anymore with the Spoon Strut bar.. My VSA doesn't turn on and i can push my car harder around corners compared to before.. Well i think it is money well spent...

EuroAccord13
13-04-2005, 06:07 PM
Well Done Pumz;

Can you please elaborate more on the DBW box that you mentioned had problems putting back? Does it need to be shifted to make way for the Strut Bar?

Photos look good, makes the strut bar look like it's part of the engine bay already.. So suttle!

kenshin
13-04-2005, 06:12 PM
nice injen :)

Pum[Z]
13-04-2005, 06:21 PM
Cheers Nick...

http://img212.echo.cx/img212/7551/dscf00338kh.jpg

See the part with the blue box there... If u see real carefuly in that box u can see a black zip tie there.. Below that zip tie is a bolt. Well that bolt was supposed to attach to the Throttle box thing.. With the Strut bar being in the way we didn't want to risk that scraping the strut bar so we just ziptied it to the one of the firewall strut braces.. It doesn't move but thought might tie it to something just in case.. We actuall unbolted the whole thingfirst so we could put in the strut bar.. Then bolted it back up again once the strut bar was in.. Hope that helps...

EuroAccord13
13-04-2005, 06:28 PM
Ok.. Let me try.. It's the bolt that goes on the OEM mini strut brace yeah? And that was in the way of the Spoon bar that had to under the OEM one...

Am I there yet? Dammm Still Looks Good!

BTW... How much? :D

Pum[Z]
13-04-2005, 06:43 PM
U got it Nick...

had to reread ur post 3 times to understand it but yeah u are there... That whole big black box that is housing the Throttle or Drive by wire system i had to tie with a zip tie to one the oem mini strut brace... Thats the only thing that is out of place.. Everything else fits fine...

Costed me $250.. Got it from Tanghy he installed it as well for me.. He wanted to prove that it would fit the CL9 hehhehehe.. Somehow my car was the guineapig...

stephen8512
13-04-2005, 07:10 PM
awesome purchase mike and good writeup!
damn, never knew ur 19" HP's were givin u such a headache when cornering.
I saw a Euro R Replica today that had your HP rims on it and yes, it was bling bling. it was dumped on its ass but had a full euro R kit (with the badging) and BLACK ASS TINT. im sorta thinkin bout HP's for my car as well. hahahhaha :D

but yeah, just to ask a general question regarding strut bars.....does it matter which brand you go with? or is the price just purely based on the brand name?

EuroAccord13
13-04-2005, 08:39 PM
but yeah, just to ask a general question regarding strut bars.....does it matter which brand you go with? or is the price just purely based on the brand name?

Well some brands have hollow bars, some don't (usually means alot heavier), some are hollow but may be reinforced with a H or tri angle yada yada.....

Personally, I like adjustable ones... :thumbsup:

yfin
13-04-2005, 10:07 PM
That looks great :thumbsup:

PM Tanghy people if you want one - I am sure he can order and he posts fast.

toE
13-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Well some brands have hollow bars, some don't (usually means alot heavier), some are hollow but may be reinforced with a H or tri angle yada yada.....

Personally, I like adjustable ones... :thumbsup:

Are you saying that this Spoon is adjustable?

EuroAccord13
13-04-2005, 11:38 PM
Are you saying that this Spoon is adjustable?

From the looks of it, I don't think this one is adjustable ToE.. :)

Adjustable ones are where you can adjust the tension between the two strut tower on the bar....

toE
14-04-2005, 01:07 AM
I'm clueless, hence I asked for your confirmation.
Guess it's not then. :)

Pum[Z]
14-04-2005, 01:19 AM
Nop the Spoon Strut Bar aint adjustable...

Didn't know u could get adjustable Strut Bars...

EuroAccord13
14-04-2005, 01:39 AM
I haven't seen one for the Euro yet but I used to have an adjustable one in my old car.. Even some rear sway bars are adjustable... :)

euro77
14-04-2005, 02:29 AM
from the look of it, it's not adjustable. Adjustable strut bars would have like a bolt in the middle, similar to this:
http://www.cusco.co.jp/english/e_media3/e_st_tur.gif

baboo
14-04-2005, 08:32 AM
']U got it Nick...

had to reread ur post 3 times to understand it but yeah u are there... That whole big black box that is housing the Throttle or Drive by wire system i had to tie with a zip tie to one the oem mini strut brace... Thats the only thing that is out of place.. Everything else fits fine...

Looks tough! well done Pum[Z]

black box is the cruise control....:p

LOC888
14-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Great write up Pum[z], my spoon tower bar is coming end of this month, this gives me an idea of what to do...
Thanks mate...

Hipsi
14-04-2005, 01:39 PM
lookin sweet. gee Mike, since we got the same wheels, does that mean we have to have the same strut brace too? ;)

Pum[Z]
15-04-2005, 01:37 AM
lookin sweet. gee Mike, since we got the same wheels, does that mean we have to have the same strut brace too? ;)

ermm yes.. Our cars could be twins hhehehehe.. One is the angel coz urs is white, mine is the dark side coz its black... :D

Q_ball
15-04-2005, 01:47 AM
Ive always been a huge fan of ur car Pum[Z]!!
lookin good mate!

Hipsi
15-04-2005, 09:05 AM
lol, I guess you're car looks kinda like darth and I can be a storm trooper ;)

VirIIx
15-04-2005, 10:37 AM
looks nice pum[z] ;)

good to see everyone is getting into the star wars spirit :p

since i have a blue euro, if i drive fast enough, i could be a blurred lightsaber :p

Hipsi
15-04-2005, 12:29 PM
VirIIx, you could also double as Marcos Ambrose, dissapearing off to the US. ;)

hmm....do you think we could be bordering on 'off topic' fellas?

aaronng
15-04-2005, 12:30 PM
Then my Euro is an ewok.....

VirIIx
15-04-2005, 01:07 PM
VirIIx, you could also double as Marcos Ambrose, dissapearing off to the US. ;)

hmm....do you think we could be bordering on 'off topic' fellas?

lol...

maybe a bit off topic...

Then my Euro is an ewok.....

but everyone loves ewoks! :)

tanghy
15-04-2005, 07:50 PM
what is vSA

yfin
15-04-2005, 08:03 PM
what is vSA

Doubles as traction control and stability control.

tanghy
22-04-2005, 09:07 PM
so anyone wnats one?

J-MuN
22-04-2005, 10:26 PM
looks a beaut! ;)

adammet04
22-04-2005, 10:32 PM
hey, i think this is the same black box that i had probs with with the vision bar i got, too afraid to use cable ties and not bolt on properly so have left until the cars get s a few kays on it, good to here that was your only problem...good work on fitting it..

aleksandrov
18-12-2005, 11:14 AM
I just got my Spoon strut brace supplied and fitted by IS Motor Racing for $300. The steering has tightened up more noticeably than I expected. Even on a straight line on the freeway the front end feels tighter. I wonder whether Motor (or was it Wheels) would have claimed that the Euro doesn't have as much steering feel as the Mazda 6 if Honda had released it with a strut brace, as they've done with the TSX?

Btw, IS Motor Racing have one more Spoon bar in stock if anyone is interested.

yfin
18-12-2005, 06:26 PM
I just got my Spoon strut brace supplied and fitted by IS Motor Racing for $300. The steering has tightened up more noticeably than I expected. Even on a straight line on the freeway the front end feels tighter. I wonder whether Motor (or was it Wheels) would have claimed that the Euro doesn't have as much steering feel as the Mazda 6 if Honda had released it with a strut brace, as they've done with the TSX?

Btw, IS Motor Racing have one more Spoon bar in stock if anyone is interested.

Great work. I remember another thread where you were not so convinced the strut brace was needed so top marks for the leap of faith :thumbsup: Now all I need to do is convince you on the whiteline rear sway bar - which is a bigger step forward than the strut brace :D

eurotrash
18-12-2005, 07:14 PM
"Great work. I remember another thread where you were not so convinced the strut brace was needed so top marks for the leap of faith Now all I need to do is convince you on the whiteline rear sway bar - which is a bigger step forward than the strut brace"

Dont start that s#@t again....lol :o

aleksandrov
18-12-2005, 08:14 PM
Great work. I remember another thread where you were not so convinced the strut brace was needed so top marks for the leap of faith :thumbsup: Now all I need to do is convince you on the whiteline rear sway bar - which is a bigger step forward than the strut brace :D

I wouldn't say it was a leap of faith. I question everything (which means I am not easily convinced of anything) because I try my best to rely on real knowledge, rather than faith. Btw, I'm still not convinced that the strut bar is 'needed', although I do find it desirable (and it would be even more desirable if it didn't add extra weight to the front end).

If I opt for a swaybar change, which I have considered very thoroughly, I will almost definitely not choose Whiteline - not only because of how I think Whiteline currently compares to some others, including Honda, on quality control and R & D, but also because the claimed stiffness of the Whiteline bar is 173% of standard. I might probably go for Swift front (115%) AND rear (130%), but I am not quite convinced that it's a very cost-effective mod ($1,150 fitted). At the moment, I am trying to get some details on how the Euro R swaybars compare to standard for stiffness. If I could find just a rear swaybar with 115% stiffness, from a manufacturer I trust, I would get it immediately. This would probably be the most cost-effective way to reduce understeer just a little. I don't want to mess with the 'under-over' balance too much and I don't have a major body roll problem since I installed the Mugen Showa suspension kit. Plus I'm starting to get a serious craving for the Mugen intake, so I could definitely use the saving.

On second thought, you might be able to convince me if you let me test drive your car. :D