PDA

View Full Version : An antenna question ???

EDCivic
16-03-2015, 09:21 PM
Very common fault (Y/N) with these 24 or so year old ED Civics, where the pillar mounted antenna only has one or none of its segments that can be extended or retracted i.e. like ours, until now and after many liberal doses of WD40 ! Great, but now my AM reception is crap as in the volume waivers all over the lace, but FM is ok. Any suggestions on how to repair this, bearing in mind that Aerpro only stock antennas from 1992 models ?

Hondarally
17-03-2015, 06:03 AM
What's AM?

EDCivic
17-03-2015, 06:17 AM
I'm 56 so AM means a lot to me just like vinyl records.

Hondarally
17-03-2015, 06:56 AM
Well, if you're 56 then you'd be well aware of the universal antenna kits available at most hardware shops:

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/img/photos/other/4529132.jpg

Still struggle to work out how you manage to listen the vinyl in the car. I find that the needle keeps jumping whenever I drive on our rough roads. Maybe the roads are a bit smoother in your part of the world.

EDCivic
17-03-2015, 09:42 AM
Sorry forgot to add that I make a copy of the record onto a compact cassette and then play that in my car. Though the hardware styled antenna is most attractive, I'd rather have the original one back in order.

lolmclol
17-03-2015, 10:30 AM
Try any honda wreckers, or general wreckers that might have honda parts.

EDCivic
17-03-2015, 11:22 PM
UPDATE... reason for my post is that I did manage to loosen the segments in the antenna ie it completely extends and retracks like a new one, but since this fixed AM is now like listening to short wave. Lolmclol been there and done that, and they have all been jammed one way or the other. I'll just wait and keep looking. Cheers all !

Hondarally
18-03-2015, 11:19 AM
Have you considered those windscreen mounted aerials (not sure if they are available for your model though) or the modern stubby roof antennas? Might need a bit of modification, but could be an option.

If yours extends fully, yet you still have crappy reception, then maybe the coax cable leading to your radio has a break in it, or poor connection at one end?