PDA

View Full Version : Where to position led light bar on CL9?

DA9-47
21-03-2015, 10:46 AM
Hi guys
So I live in the country (Ballarat), and I drive a lot of 100kph back roads..... At night, so I have realized that the lights that come with the accord euro are inadequate for country back roads so I have started looking for a led bar for the accord , I know I know .... But don't care if it looks weird just want to be able to see everything after nearly collecting 2 roo's at 80 the other day and another at 110 not long before.... both at night.

So far I have 2 options to mount the new light to the accord
#1 on the roof attached to my roof racks
#2 on a license plate mounting bracket ....

Does anyone have any other ideas regarding how to attach the led bar to the accord without drilling huge holes , damaging the car in any way ?
Also if anyone has done this to an accord or even a Honda please post pics up as I haven't found really any pics on how to install it on a non 4x4 without drilling holes for supports in the roof =(

Thanks so much guys

lilthug
21-03-2015, 12:06 PM
please contact your local roads authority in regards to the legalities of mounting the lights on the roof

had a few mates here in nsw get defected for roof mounted light bars

Fredoops
21-03-2015, 12:44 PM
There's 2 license plate holes under the normal license bracket.

Hondarally
21-03-2015, 02:34 PM
This is how it's done. No big holes needed, either.
http://www.eurorallye.co.uk/images/source/EuroRallyeHonda.jpg

curtis265
21-03-2015, 02:41 PM
Can you install brackets from the numberplate mount holes?

Hondarally
21-03-2015, 02:57 PM
This style of universal bracket is good for lighter (less heavy) spotties

http://www.bushranger.com.au/xbarimages/xbar_grey.jpg

DA9-47
21-03-2015, 09:12 PM
Yeah i found that universal bracket on ebay for $35
dont mind the look either ^^

http://i1190.photobucket.com/albums/z456/DA9-47/mounting%20bracket.jpg
or there's this idea which i think would allow for a longer LED bar as it doesn't have the bar thing in the way and its $42 on ebay

Then a new idea i had which might look even better:

#Remove front upper grill in between lights,
#Remove everything from inside it so its just a hollow grill (no Honda badge, no black plastic mesh just frame)
#Mount and position a 20" Led bar in the hollow gap
#Buy something like this >> http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLASTIC-ABS-UNIVERSAL-BLACK-SPORT-MESH-GRILL-GRILLE-CAR-STOCK-OE-STYLE-15-X46-E-/160719312418

#Fit ^mesh^ around the Led bar so it looks like a normal grill with a Led Bar........ :confused: :thumbsup: :thumbdwn:
If done properly i think this would look beast

If not then i think i can only go with the License plate mounting bracket attached to the bumper bar with bolts for strength

DA9-47
21-03-2015, 09:46 PM
Also ......
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/150869016957?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Anyone bought or used these?

curtis265
22-03-2015, 02:08 PM
To be honest i think it'd look better recessed in the lower grill, slightly out of sight.

DA9-47
23-03-2015, 02:17 PM
as long as it doesnt block the radiator
i've heard of cars overheating from doing this

got any pics of what your thinking would work?

DA9-47
21-04-2015, 01:33 AM
Ok so I bought the number plate mounting bracket and then bought my 20 inch led bar and when I test fitted it,
it just seemed like it would move around a bit as I couldn't fasten it to the front bumper properly
So I went with option B
Mount led bar in the area where the grill is on the front bumper.
So I went and got a mate to make me some brackets that attached the led bar to the front of the car where the grill is.....was lol
So then had another mate install the electrics and bam it's all up and running like a dream
Only thing I have to do is buy some mesh to fill in the gaps around the led bar,
But for now I've used some tinted plastic to do the job until I find the right mesh ,
Amazing light improvement for anyone looking for extra light

This is the area I mounted the led bar to
My mate used some of the pre existing holes in the front bar and put massive hollow pop rivets with a thread on the inside in the pre existing holes and that's how I bolt down my mounts that hold the light

Test Fitted without the grill

Time to make the grill fit

Outer shell of grill fitted back on with tinted plastic (temporarily until I get the right mesh)

I went with a Cree 20 inch 120w 10,500 lumen spot and flood combo

Super impressed with the results
Highly recommended

euro24L
20-05-2015, 10:26 PM
lol you must get a lot of wtf stares driving around like it is now. Looks alright actually.

Couldnt you have just gotten some mega bright LED fog lights in place of the stock ones?

DA9-47
24-05-2015, 12:55 AM
Lol yeah plenty of stares hahaha
Not sure about the spot lights
Even if I upgraded them still Don't think they would out do the led bar tho
It's so fricken bright when I turn it on lol

If anyone knows how to upgrade the spot lights let me know
Or how to reposition the beam of light on the spot lights as that would help too
Ta

Hondarally
24-05-2015, 08:49 AM
You can upgrade the fog lights to spots (replace with a different reflector / lens combo to throw the light further) but there are 2 problems with this:
1) being so low, you'll never get any distance out of them. At best, they are only good for cornering lights, and even then it's a bit of a stretch (I have previously done this on another car)
2) the Fog lights aren't wired to turn off with the high beams, hence will be illegal. You will have to change the wiring for these lights so that they turn off when you dip high beam. Not a big task, but just something to consider.

Skippypete
14-12-2015, 01:05 PM
Has anyone got pics of one mounted in the lower grill?