PDA

View Full Version : Drive Shafts??!!!!!!!!!! damm them!

fly_vti
13-04-2005, 07:48 PM
drive shaft rings now fixed, problem found.

problem: 18' rims ,very low, tires scrubbed and camberd too much = broke shaft lol.

15's now on. re-aligned and raised a little no more problems.! thanks people.

BOOSTD
13-04-2005, 08:48 PM
dude i had the same problem with my integra. but mine was because of excessive burnouts. ive gone through a set of drive/cv shafts and my car is about 8cm off the ground. could be your suspension setup, get it professionally checked because is your shocks dont match your spring rate all it will take is a pothole to shear the end off your driveshaft. hope you find and fix the problem soon man coz i know how much of a damn hassle it is

panda[cRx]
13-04-2005, 09:05 PM
hey people. im not a bad driver.. so dont blame the following on me.

i think i found a liar:rolleyes:

faijai
14-04-2005, 04:13 PM
hey deniz i think u really need to get this problem cheked out badly! seems like every week they r breaking on ya.

fly_vti
15-04-2005, 07:02 AM
']i think i found a liar:rolleyes:

what wrong panda? dont agree on something? lol i am a good driver im sick of my car probs so i drive it good now.

bennjamin
15-04-2005, 10:48 AM
...driveshafts are extremely sturdy and thick rods of metal.....HARD to break in other words. You are either doing lots of stupid launches all over the place - or you are not explaining your situation correctly and another part of the driveshaft is breaking.

Is it the CV joint ? Midshaft ? midshaft bearing ? spline ?

Maybe your problem is , you are replacing it with 2nd hand driveshafts or rebuitl ones ?

we need abit more information here..

LVNIT
15-04-2005, 11:07 AM
How low exactly is the car? Because if you lower the car, you essentially take away some travel that the CV joints have, causing more rubbing and stress.

So as 'bennjamin' said, a bit more information will help.

panda[cRx]
15-04-2005, 11:14 AM
what wrong panda? dont agree on something? lol i am a good driver im sick of my car probs so i drive it good now.

no i don't agree, i think ben summed it up perfectly

...driveshafts are extremely sturdy and thick rods of metal.....HARD to break in other words. You are either doing lots of stupid launches all over the place - or you are not explaining your situation correctly and another part of the driveshaft is breaking.

Is it the CV joint ? Midshaft ? midshaft bearing ? spline ?

Maybe your problem is , you are replacing it with 2nd hand driveshafts or rebuitl ones ?

we need abit more information here..

Non Vtec
15-04-2005, 02:20 PM
get some pics up of were you have been breaking them. I have a pair of ITR driveshafst in my civic and even with huge launchs on slicks I have seen almost 200runs down the 1/4 without a breakage.
If you have replaced them with a cheaper part than the Honda ones, like some POS from super cheap or a place like that that will be were your problem is, get genuine Honda Axles and CV's and you'll never have any issues.
If you have Honda axles and CV's then you probably have a couple of issues, driveshaft length is one of them, have you had the car for ages and its just a problem that has started or if you have just got the car and the problem is there then it has probably had accident damage on one side provided you break the same axle each time. In which case the wheel might have been pushed closer to the engine decreasing the clearance you have on te driveshaft which in turn causes the driveshaft to bind in the CV and break.
My guess is you are snapping the CV joint were it goes into the hub. This sometimes happens to old joints and if not replaced with a good quality CV joint as stated above they will keep on breaking.
If you paid someone to fix it take it back and ask for it to be fixed properly with Honda parts and tell them you will pay the difference in the value of the broken shaft and the genuine Honda one.

fly_vti
17-04-2005, 04:57 PM
get some pics up of were you have been breaking them. I have a pair of ITR driveshafst in my civic and even with huge launchs on slicks I have seen almost 200runs down the 1/4 without a breakage.
If you have replaced them with a cheaper part than the Honda ones, like some POS from super cheap or a place like that that will be were your problem is, get genuine Honda Axles and CV's and you'll never have any issues.
If you have Honda axles and CV's then you probably have a couple of issues, driveshaft length is one of them, have you had the car for ages and its just a problem that has started or if you have just got the car and the problem is there then it has probably had accident damage on one side provided you break the same axle each time. In which case the wheel might have been pushed closer to the engine decreasing the clearance you have on te driveshaft which in turn causes the driveshaft to bind in the CV and break.
My guess is you are snapping the CV joint were it goes into the hub. This sometimes happens to old joints and if not replaced with a good quality CV joint as stated above they will keep on breaking.
If you paid someone to fix it take it back and ask for it to be fixed properly with Honda parts and tell them you will pay the difference in the value of the broken shaft and the genuine Honda one.

FOUND THE PROBLEM.. its the cambering...

Non Vtec
17-04-2005, 07:44 PM
sweet, just to much camber? Goodluck with the new ones...

euGeR
17-04-2005, 08:49 PM
I'd actually like to know how cambering can cause a driveshaft to snap ...

I've seen guys run -3.5 camber (and still runs that amount) with 140kw + :)

bennjamin
17-04-2005, 09:32 PM
I'd actually like to know how cambering can cause a driveshaft to snap ...

I've seen guys run -3.5 camber (and still runs that amount) with 140kw + :)

interesting - as CV joints really are "universal joints" to transfer power to the wheels in a large amount of degrees relative to the drive shaft itself in a large amount of constant strain ( turning , bumps n bits etc) ...surely alittle lower than stock would be no hassle for the CV's as Im sure the driveshaft be almost horizontal or alittle skewed ?

*EDIT added just a educated guess*

since the driveshaft itself is brung into the edge of its peak performance range ( IE excessively lowered) - that means that any excess movement in the wrong way via a big pothole etc will no doubt rip it out as shown above.

BOOSTD
18-04-2005, 01:21 AM
my front wheel camber is - 4 and that isnt the problem. My driveshaft snapped due to 2 many line locks.

Non Vtec
18-04-2005, 06:46 AM
if the driveshaft hits the end of the inside of the CV it will bind and after awhile the stress will cause it to break. I would imagine that it would happen on some models more tha others depending on the driveshafts..

tinkerbell
18-04-2005, 10:22 AM
i reckon the installation of the B18C engine in your GSi might have something to do with it...

you got bodgyed by who ever installed it... usign the wrong mounts or something...

fly_vti
18-04-2005, 05:42 PM
na it was the cambering. got them fixed now its all good. my engine sits just fine :thumbsup: i got it heavly checked out my nrma inspectors when i got it. done a revs check and when i got it tuned by good peformance it was all good. :) so my car is fine the prob was when i had my 18s my car was cambered alot. scrubbed alot and very low and i done hard corners in it. they snapped because of this. i put my 15s on re-adjusted the camber aligned and it hasnt stuffed up and it takes corners well. so all is sweet :) :D