PDA

View Full Version : Central locking not working, any ideas (done the ignition on/off thing).

haddie
11-04-2015, 06:30 PM
as title suggests, the central locking doesn't work at all.

I bought the car for my daughter today, lovely car with this as its only unsolved issue, 361,000 klms tight feel and runs like a champ ! :D

so, got it home, done the cycling of the ignition thing with the fob, battery is good so no drama there but didn't work.

so, checked fuses, no broken fuses, all in the proper place, only one missing underneath and number 16.

Sorry the first post is an issue ! :o

haddie
12-04-2015, 03:36 PM
Anyone experienced this ?
Also note, I have found some info that others have had drama with aftermarket stereos. This has one but the previous owner has NFI if it worked before .

haddie
14-04-2015, 06:24 PM
Got another chance to have a look as I need to wait till she goes out , got it parked down the street :D (her birthday on Thursday and she's been home all week on holiday ) and noticed that the interior light doesn't come on when the door is opened but the light works when switched on, probably related ?

Opened up Flexi rubber cover in door jamb, no broken wires there or under dash at connector.

Grayfox
14-04-2015, 11:30 PM
What car
What year

Have you checked what fuse 16 is for?, it should say on the box cover.

How do you know the keyfob battery is good?

Just cause the LED lights up does not mean much, an LED would draw much less current than a central locking transmitter.
Being an electrical issue as well it could be battery issue.

General rule of thumb, when dealing with an electrical issue, start at the battery.
Check to make sure all terminals are free of corrosion, and all the clamps are free of corrosion and are on tight, check the chassis ground connections.

You mentioned the light does not come on which would suggest the door open switch sensor is damaged in some manner, unless you get the door open warning.

The best way to test these is by removing it and testing with a multimeter on continuity mode and press the switch.
Most if not all work on a normally closed method so when the door is open, the button is pushed and the circuit is open.
Make sure the button does not stick

haddie
15-04-2015, 08:39 AM
What car. 2002 CIVIC EU3
What year

Have you checked what fuse 16 is for?, it should say on the box cover.

YES REPLACED IT AND STILL NO JOY.

How do you know the keyfob battery is good?

REPLACED IT.

Just cause the LED lights up does not mean much, an LED would draw much less current than a central locking transmitter.
Being an electrical issue as well it could be battery issue.

BATTERY IS GOOD AS IS TERMINALS ETC.

General rule of thumb, when dealing with an electrical issue, start at the battery.
Check to make sure all terminals are free of corrosion, and all the clamps are free of corrosion and are on tight, check the chassis ground connections.

You mentioned the light does not come on which would suggest the door open switch sensor is damaged in some manner, unless you get the door open warning.

NONDOOR AJAR LIGHT AND NO DOOR SWITCH WORKS SO THEY'VE NOT ALL FAILED.

The best way to test these is by removing it and testing with a multimeter on continuity mode and press the switch.
Most if not all work on a normally closed method so when the door is open, the button is pushed and the circuit is open.
Make sure the button does not sticK

DONE AND WORK FINE.

Found a YouTube video of a 98/00 civic which was same after new stereo installed.
Seems a wire needs bridged between the two multi plugs behind it.

I'll check that as there's no other known issues that I can find.

Grayfox
15-04-2015, 11:03 AM
The 6th gen is not like the 7th when it comes to electrics.
I cant see how a stereo would cause a the power locking to fail

I found a 7th gen workshop manual and it had nothing in it about electrics as it seems to be a cut down PDF when the original manual is a HTML based thing.

curtis265
15-04-2015, 11:15 AM
Is it possible that the fob isnt' actually the correct fob for the car?

The fobs are year specific. Any chance the previous owner has mixed up fobs/replaced fob with a random one?

What's the sticker on the back of the remote say?

RenzokukenJ
15-04-2015, 12:13 PM
possible that the actuator isnt working at all, can you hear any slight clicking indicating that its pulling the pin in the door?

depending on which civic you have bought for your daughter, you can pick them up from jaycar for 15 bucks and are easy as pie to remove. just a matter of taking the interior door skin off

haddie
15-04-2015, 12:20 PM
The 6th gen is not like the 7th when it comes to electrics.
I cant see how a stereo would cause a the power locking to fail

I found a 7th gen workshop manual and it had nothing in it about electrics as it seems to be a cut down PDF when the original manual is a HTML based thing.

Yeah, i can find nothing wrong at all. I am a heavy diesel fitter to trade so limited experience with this kinda thing.
justy seems to be some info regarding aftermarket stereos causin ginop central locking and interior light drama...i have both ! (door doesn't turn light on but it works on switch in roof).

Is it possible that the fob isnt' actually the correct fob for the car?

The fobs are year specific. Any chance the previous owner has mixed up fobs/replaced fob with a random one?

What's the sticker on the back of the remote say?

assumed so, sticker is worn off....keys don't open central locking either but will open individual doors through lock....so i'd say it's not fob related.

possible that the actuator isnt working at all, can you hear any slight clicking indicating that its pulling the pin in the door?

depending on which civic you have bought for your daughter, you can pick them up from jaycar for 15 bucks and are easy as pie to remove. just a matter of taking the interior door skin off

all 4 doors are inop, for all 4 to go would be lottery numbers chance.

Once she gets the car tomorrow as a surprise birthday present, I'll be able to delve into it more in the driveway during daylight rather than waiting till she goes out then frantically check fuses etc in the dark. :D

I am pretty sure it's stereo related...I'll pull that stereo out and see what's what cos the car hasn't been tinkered with other than that....

RenzokukenJ
15-04-2015, 01:48 PM
Most probably if all 4 doors aren't working, I'd say either the fuses are gone, or someone has just messed up all the of the wiring and you may need to do some surgery to get everything back to normal.

I'm in the same boat, bought a 2008 civic type r, boot light doesn't work and boot doesn't seem to register it's opening... Good fun that will be to fix!

haddie
15-04-2015, 01:54 PM
Most probably if all 4 doors aren't working, I'd say either the fuses are gone, or someone has just messed up all the of the wiring and you may need to do some surgery to get everything back to normal.

I'm in the same boat, bought a 2008 civic type r, boot light doesn't work and boot doesn't seem to register it's opening... Good fun that will be to fix!

more than likely, whoever installed it may not have known a power feed from stereo is needed for remote locking or light....gotta be something stoopid..:thumbdwn:

Grayfox
15-04-2015, 02:03 PM

Do you want the wiring diagrams for the bootlight and boot switch?
I have the full workshop manual for the civic hatch from 2006-2011.

RenzokukenJ
15-04-2015, 06:33 PM
Do you want the wiring diagrams for the bootlight and boot switch?
I have the full workshop manual for the civic hatch from 2006-2011.
I definitely do!

Grayfox
15-04-2015, 09:22 PM
These are large sized images

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/bootlight.png?_subject_uid=219328708&w=AACX-aANMpIEB8uey113-dsRSCe_iByhYfPjqj9h8WSlNA
https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/bootlight2.png?_subject_uid=219328708&w=AABQIzMXTbx9OMuYZibBh4nc2sjqP7Iq0caZRmzxejXsrQ

This is the manual
https://www.dropbox.com/s/y5uyzkn39clmycz/English%20Civic%20Service%20Manual.7z?dl=0

The manual not specifically for the FN2 but they would share the same wiring harness and they do share the same boot door.

You will need 7zip to extract it and you have to run the manual in Internet Explorer as the whole thing is ActiveX based.

RenzokukenJ
15-04-2015, 09:38 PM
Ballin thanks man

haddie
16-04-2015, 11:50 AM
Got centre consol almost out this morning before we headed to qld transport for driving test .

Coildnt get fully it from what seems to be the flap control cable for the heater controls. Seems to be tight and not allowing enough slack to get to rear fascia screws. Ill have another look later when time permits.

haddie
16-04-2015, 07:30 PM
okay...(well, not okay)...go tthe centre consol out, had to remove the two push rod clips for the heater and flaps. not too fussed , just fidgety.
new loom had been wired onto old one as normal, tape jointed but all ok so I am sure it's a home done job (i'd pay a sparky to do it properly).

so, what we have (to summarise ) is..
no interior light on door switches(any of them) but works manually on roof switch).
no central locking from fob nor key but key opens door organically.
brake light on dash is lit, fluids fine, switch to hand brake, also fine.
no blown fuses at all, swapped out the relays for central locking and still same....

there has been a hands free kit in here at some point, no sure what it was tapped into etc but no major hacking is obvious.

next thing to do, get codes from scanner and see whats what.
if all else fails, the Air con/auto spark I use will get it to chase down(and recharge AC too..).

Don't ya just love easy electrical work ? :D

haddie
18-04-2015, 07:59 PM
Took drivers door off today and checked wiring for breaks, switches etc, all good.
Checked all door light switches....all good.

Proper head **** this thing ..

curtis265
19-04-2015, 12:29 AM
Does central locking work with the key in the door cylinder?

haddie
19-04-2015, 10:05 AM
Does central locking work with the key in the door cylinder?

Yeah, see post #9

Grayfox
19-04-2015, 01:10 PM
Then it would be a transmitter or receiver issue would it not?
Do you have a flip key or is it a normal key?

haddie
19-04-2015, 01:33 PM
Normal key with a fob. Keys work fine as they have code for immobiliser. (Green key light on dash) .

Think its a power supply issue as the interior light is inop off door switches too.

haddie
22-04-2015, 05:28 PM
multiplex unit.....

built into lower dash fuse box....arse...

Honda Part**** 38200-S5A-A31
http://honda-tech.com/acura-rsx-dc5-honda-civic-ep3-32/multiplex-location-2002-civic-si-2802801/

all people with exact same issues....

apparently a recall was done on these units, maybe this was never done on this one...?

watch video if interested but more importantly, see the comments.....loads, all with same shitty issues...
hope it helps others out ! :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdtIljAK88Y

Vvvtec
22-04-2015, 06:31 PM
I got some cousins up wurtulla way, usually go to the dreamtime with them good blokes

RenzokukenJ
22-04-2015, 06:40 PM
I got some cousins up wurtulla way, usually go to the dreamtime with them good blokes
Eh unna let me know cuz I'm keen for a sniff

Vvvtec
22-04-2015, 06:44 PM
Eh unna let me know cuz I'm keen for a sniff

yeah bruz bring your tidda and we'll charge up get some duri happening, just gotta watch out for the gunjies this time lol

RenzokukenJ
22-04-2015, 06:53 PM
yeah bruz bring your tidda and we'll charge up get some duri happening, just gotta watch out for the gunjies this time lol

fukin dem gins distractin me met with dem dere lullis ay fuk me kunt eh heeee

haddie
22-04-2015, 09:44 PM
No ****in idea what that was fellas...:D

RenzokukenJ
22-04-2015, 10:49 PM
Yh buz