PDA

View Full Version : Upper control arm bushes incorrect?

MiXuPs
05-05-2015, 11:33 PM
Need some advice guys.

I've recently changed the bushes on my upper control arms and forgot to check that the bolts that hold the control arm in, fit snug inside the bushes.

Anyhow, I re-installed it all, went for a drive and there is a lot of play on the control arm. It makes a knocking/clanging noise, especially when going over bumps etc..I know this is due to the bolt not fitting into the bushing properly. Not to mention it creaks like an old rocking chair when i go over speed humps too, and i didn't even tighten the bolts so tight that it cant move up and down.

Is this normal? cos I don't recall this knocking noise before I changed the bushes.
has anyone had a similar problem? the noise is really annoying, and I'm afraid it will do more damage then its worth.

Car is 97 EK Civic Hatch.

cheers for any advice.

cbauto
05-05-2015, 11:46 PM
Need some advice guys.

I've recently changed the bushes on my upper control arms and forgot to check that the bolts that hold the control arm in, fit snug inside the bushes.

Anyhow, I re-installed it all, went for a drive and there is a lot of play on the control arm. It makes a knocking/clanging noise, especially when going over bumps etc..I know this is due to the bolt not fitting into the bushing properly. Not to mention it creaks like an old rocking chair when i go over speed humps too, and i didn't even tighten the bolts so tight that it cant move up and down.

Is this normal? cos I don't recall this knocking noise before I changed the bushes.
has anyone had a similar problem? the noise is really annoying, and I'm afraid it will do more damage then its worth.

Car is 97 EK Civic Hatch.

cheers for any advice.

no one knows what you fuked up in there. so you're on ur own son.

if you don't know what you're doing, should go to experts like cbauto

MiXuPs
05-05-2015, 11:52 PM
hmmm I changed the bushes, simple as that. Bushes were apparently the correct ones for the car, so yeah.. beats me..

cbauto
05-05-2015, 11:54 PM
hmmm I changed the bushes, simple as that. Bushes were apparently the correct ones for the car, so yeah.. beats me..

if you bought the correct bushes, did up everything by the book, you shouldn't have noises.

you did something wrong. we don't know what you did wrong over internet.

take it to an expert like cbauto to rectify your problem

bennjamin
06-05-2015, 08:50 AM
Did you replace the entire upper arms , or press out the old bushes and press in new ones ?

I would point to the upper ball joint not be correctly torqued or busted ( giving knocking noise)

cbauto
06-05-2015, 09:29 AM
Did you replace the entire upper arms , or press out the old bushes and press in new ones ?

I would point to the upper ball joint not be correctly torqued or busted ( giving knocking noise)
Actually, anything in there not done up right will cause noises

MiXuPs
06-05-2015, 10:33 AM
I replaced the bushes and ball joint, and because it was making the noises, I purchased a whole new arm with new ball joint and bushes. Put it in and it was still the same.
I was wondering if the bolts that hold the arm in through the bushes are meant to fig snug inside, or are they loose? Cos after installing the bolts, I am able to wriggle the who arm back and forth.

mocchi
06-05-2015, 01:24 PM
pics.

cbauto
10-05-2015, 02:21 AM
bump!

amant02
10-05-2015, 03:17 AM
I had similar sounds coming from my Jazz, after hitting a monster pothole on pacific hwy.

The LCA bolt had collapsed inside the bushing.

All the sounds your describing are the ones I had.

Another sound I had it would knock if you were to brake as well.

I'd go through all the bolts doing them up to torqued specs. Easy solve mate, just re do the work double checking on specs.

Also before you come here asking for help, bring pic's. If professional mech sometimes cannot diagnose sounds from get go. What chance you think idiots on the interwebs gonna have to help you out.

leej8
10-05-2015, 06:02 AM
no one knows what you fuked up in there. so you're on ur own son.

if you don't know what you're doing, should go to experts like cbauto
Haha experts cbauto they will screw you with this fool working on you hard earned motor m80

cbauto
10-05-2015, 08:42 AM
Haha experts cbauto they will screw you with this fool working on you hard earned motor m80

amant is expert too....

MiXuPs
13-05-2015, 05:18 PM
Sorry Guys, been a bit busy, i'll have to remove the control arm this weekend to take some photos, and a video if i can.

MiXuPs
18-05-2015, 02:50 PM
I had similar sounds coming from my Jazz, after hitting a monster pothole on pacific hwy.

The LCA bolt had collapsed inside the bushing.

All the sounds your describing are the ones I had.

Another sound I had it would knock if you were to brake as well.

I'd go through all the bolts doing them up to torqued specs. Easy solve mate, just re do the work double checking on specs.

Also before you come here asking for help, bring pic's. If professional mech sometimes cannot diagnose sounds from get go. What chance you think idiots on the interwebs gonna have to help you out.

hey mate, did what you suggested over the weekend, and the sound miraculously disappeared :p . Still beats me as to why the bolt doesnt fit snug into the bush.