PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust volume question

Blaze
06-05-2015, 04:18 PM
In the makeup of an exhaust system what is it that determines the overall volume? Is it the cat converter cpi, the pipe diameter or the muffler tip? What contribution do each of the factors make?

u mad?
06-05-2015, 04:58 PM
probably all of the above, though i think the actual muffler itself is the biggest determining factor though . Resonators help with the rasp, same with cat, punch out a cat and listen to the bee in a tin noise, just lovely. not.

Wall thickness and material is also another thing to consider, thin walled ss will sound alot different to a thicker wall mild steel.

Blaze
06-05-2015, 05:20 PM
Thanks. The only reason why I ask is that I remembered that a friend of mine had a stock civic and the exhaust was really loud and deep, but the muffler and pipe were all stock. I still don't understand what he'd done to it.

amant02
09-05-2015, 01:26 AM
You can crack the exhaust to get extra sound from it. ah them memory's of rollas from the 90s.

I also thought the wall thickness had to do with how long the exhaust will sound good for.

All things will determine how the exhaust is going to sound, from your choice of headers to the muffler.

Also the size and materials pick these wisely. There are a few KW's to be gained here.

Even who installs/welds it for you will matter as well. Don't be a jew specially if your forking out in the thousands for a header.

amant02
09-05-2015, 01:28 AM
probably all of the above, though i think the actual muffler itself is the biggest determining factor though . Resonators help with the rasp, same with cat, punch out a cat and listen to the bee in a tin noise, just lovely. not.

Wall thickness and material is also another thing to consider, thin walled ss will sound alot different to a thicker wall mild steel.

U said my exhaust sounded goot, I have no cat :)