PDA

View Full Version : ED Civic, Sticky throttle.

Steveunit
16-05-2015, 12:12 PM
Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the honda scene, please be nice.

I bought an 1987 AH civic (ignore the thread title) for khanacross and the car drives great except for one problem. After the first few runs the throttle started to stick on. The problem would fix itself after some runs and return at the end of the next. This make me think something is getting dislodged/or moved over the bumps. It's got a single carby 1.5 engine and I discovered I could get the idle back down to around 1500-2000 rpm if I push the throttle mechanism with a screwdriver (I was in a hurry to get it right-ish in competition). The vacuum system appears to be all fine. I don't know much about carbies, especially later carbies with all the emissions stuff on them.

I don't know much about the car other than it did have a carby rebuild and then was parked for two years with no fuel in the tank. When I first bought it the car drove fine with the exception of cold idle, the system for that appears to be missing. In the link is the video I made of my runs, in some videos you can hear the problem at the end of the run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRtmOhYo-kI

Any ideas would be really appreciated, thanks guys.

Hondarally
16-05-2015, 01:31 PM
This is why they mandate extra throttle springs on CAMS events. Might just be masking a problem, but it should work. Also possibly sticky butterfly / bent shaft etc. Could also be a vacuum leak somewhere, specially with all the pollution gear on there.

Steveunit
16-05-2015, 01:38 PM
Thanks, I'm all for masking the problem :P I was thinking about doing this but thought it might be worth asking because maybe someone has come across this problem before.

~Sp33~
18-05-2015, 05:40 PM
That's an AH Civic.

Steveunit
18-05-2015, 05:52 PM
It is you're right, for some reason I was thinking about ED civics when I posted this.