PDA

View Full Version : Civic FD1 Intake Systems in Australia?

Daniel.29
18-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, so do redirect me if this is wrong please.

Anyways, I was just wondering where I can source a K&N 69-1013TS for the Civic FD1 (2008) in Australia for a decent price? All I can see are ones that go for like $550+, of which is more than what I've heard people say they were ($300-$500).

Do let me know where I can find one of these as I am keen to have one installed some time soon. :)

Cheers.

Stevil
19-05-2015, 11:56 AM
Hey daniel just stick to the drop.in KN filter, it works fine, hard to see the value in the more xpensive kn kits.

Other option for more power is turbo lol

Daniel.29
19-05-2015, 12:19 PM
Haha, my initial plan was to have some fun with this FD and gaining some experience, before moving onto the bigger stuff. Was planning on doing catback for this thing as well just for the fun of it lol.

Stevil
19-05-2015, 01:17 PM
Yeah they run a pretty skin exhaust, from memory its only 1 3/4 inches, i ran a tanabe axle back gave a nice sound, could even get it to crackle and pop occasionally

Have you got the auto or manual ??

Daniel.29
19-05-2015, 01:33 PM
The auto transmission sadly...

But in saying so, I'll probs switch cars in a year to two years time to something manual that I can do up properly. As for now, FD1 all da way. Hahahaha

Btw, where can I source a FD2R replica front bar, would you know? My current ones a bit beat up. (Sorry for offtopic)

Also, how much was the tanabe, roughly?

Stevil
19-05-2015, 03:01 PM
600 for tanabe, shift performance at lansvale have bumpers n splitter, not sure about mugen RR, pm Japrak he seems to know more than most lol

Daniel.29
19-05-2015, 03:05 PM
Alright, cheers. Will check out. :)

And will do!

I have a place in Melbourne who said they'd do a catback with Xforce muffler for like 400. I think it's a weld job. Worth it?

Honda_FD
19-05-2015, 07:41 PM
I personally think drop in panel filters are a waste of money. Dont really want to pay $80 - $100 for a filter and have same performance and same sound.

8th Gen Civics mods are hard to find. Best you can do while you wait is to either Remove your Resonator to give your Civic a bit of a grunt and Induction noise.
Or if you're good with tools you can make your own. I did the same a few years ago. Being an auto you will most likely get REALLY Bad throttle lag if you change intakes.

These cars arent really built to be modified especially the R18. Main mods these days are Visual and Suspension. There are "Performance" mods but not much you can do.
Unless you do K-Swap like Stevil then yes. FDs looks awesome. Its really sad that Honda only gave us a K20z2 and an R18. Waste of a really good chassis.

Be like me... #StenchLyf

Daniel.29
19-05-2015, 08:08 PM
Yeah, I agree about the filters.

How do you remove the resonator? I've always wondered, but being slightly new to the car modding scene, these things are something I'm not too sure of doing. (I do see you are in Melbourne though;) haha.

Mmmm, any downside effects don't sound too appealing. I was hoping an intake would give me the sensation of feeling like the car would be a bit more responsive as well as be a bit better in terms of fuel economy.

As for visuals, I've done some things to it, but I didn't wanna be all ricer by being all aesthetics and no performance improvements. The car itself looks fine, but I'm in no position to do a full K-swap as that would cost, and it would be too much of a hassle seeing that it's lacking the bay for the K-series engines, and is an auto...

In saying so, I am still keen on doing something to it just for a bit of fun, as mentioned; whether it be the intake/catback or the resonator mod.

Daniel.29
19-05-2015, 08:10 PM
Also, I checked out some vids on YouTube the other day for intake changes on FD1's (auto), and they seem to be running just fine, and sound that little bit tougher?

EDIT: Also, I read up that the throttle lag could be due to some air leakage somewhere, or that it could be due to the ecu adjusting to the new air fuel ratio?

Blaze
20-05-2015, 04:57 PM
Also, I checked out some vids on YouTube the other day for intake changes on FD1's (auto), and they seem to be running just fine, and sound that little bit tougher?

EDIT: Also, I read up that the throttle lag could be due to some air leakage somewhere, or that it could be due to the ecu adjusting to the new air fuel ratio?

For an auto you should probably leave the intake alone. If you want a sporty sounding car just change the exhaust from the cat back. It'll give you a sportier not and won't affect the performance and fuel consumption much.

Changing the intake won't have much benefit at all unless you're going to change the header, exhaust and cat converter, and then you'll need a tune to make the most of your mods....on an auto that would be a severe waste of money.

Take it to any good exhaust shop (if you are in Sydney try Best mufflers, www.bestmufflers.com) they'll look after you. Ask for Chris, he knows what he's doing and will give you solid advice without ruining your car.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion. Others will have a different view and preferences.

Daniel.29
20-05-2015, 05:26 PM
For an auto you should probably leave the intake alone. If you want a sporty sounding car just change the exhaust from the cat back. It'll give you a sportier not and won't affect the performance and fuel consumption much.

Changing the intake won't have much benefit at all unless you're going to change the header, exhaust and cat converter, and then you'll need a tune to make the most of your mods....on an auto that would be a severe waste of money.

Take it to any good exhaust shop (if you are in Sydney try Best mufflers, www.bestmufflers.com) they'll look after you. Ask for Chris, he knows what he's doing and will give you solid advice without ruining your car.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion. Others will have a different view and preferences.

Ahh, it just sucks how it had to be an auto and running the R18... I was really keen on getting something done to it, other than just appearances, but I guess my choices are rather limited now. Realistically speaking, is there anything that can be done to an a/t FD1 to improve its performance in any way (maybe not to make crazy power, but more so, comfort and economical?) [Yeah, i kinda noticed I just strayed off topic, but I hope that's alright..]

In terms of changing intake, headers, and having a catback installed, how much would that set one back? I hear tunes can be expensive, but I'm not too sure about headers, as I have yet to see much of them around for the FD1 (or maybe I'm not searching hard enough).

On a side note, let's say the Civic should be left as is, I plan on trading it in sometime in the following two years for something manual, rwd, and modern; any recommendations in what to look for? Price range of maybe, 10-20k?

Blaze
20-05-2015, 06:09 PM
I wouldn't say that you can't make any performance mods to it. But in terms of mods that make power your choices are limited because of the engine you run... Swapping to a K-series would make your life more difficult but then you'll have more options in terms of mods.

I would be asking myself how deep my pockets were if I was in your situation. It might be better (cheaper) to sell this car and get yourself something which you can find mods for. Any B series (vtec) or K series.

It doesn't even have to be expensive either, you can find some really nice EK civics which are really good platforms to build on or DC2 Integras. Newer EP civics and DC5 Integras would be more expensive obviously.

You should sit down and see what your budget is and how much you want to spend overall with the car and the build and then go from there. It would also be a good idea to set yourself a power figure to aim for and see what mods can get you there for the money you have budgeted for.

Remember this but:

Cheap + Power = Not reliable
Power + Reliable = Not cheap
Reliable + Cheap = No power

Daniel.29
20-05-2015, 06:24 PM
Yeah, I getcha. I reckon doing a K-swap would be too pricey for what my original plan was; to have a bit of fun and gain some experience.

Let's say I lay down $1k-around 1.5k for the Civic, would that be sufficient to make a bit of gains, taking into account that it's the R18? And exactly how much could be gained from that? I'm assuming somewhere between 20-50hp at most? [I'm probably wrong on that one]

Personally, am not much a fan of the Ek's, but I wouldn't mind a teggy, but am looking into a rwd for the next car, and may possibly do a switchy to a nissan or something of the like. Still undecided as yet.

Sorry for being so novice, ahaha..Still tryna get a grasp of things.

u mad?
20-05-2015, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I getcha. I reckon doing a K-swap would be too pricey for what my original plan was; to have a bit of fun and gain some experience.

Let's say I lay down $1k-around 1.5k for the Civic, would that be sufficient to make a bit of gains, taking into account that it's the R18? And exactly how much could be gained from that? I'm assuming somewhere between 20-50hp at most? [I'm probably wrong on that one]

Personally, am not much a fan of the Ek's, but I wouldn't mind a teggy, but am looking into a rwd for the next car, and may possibly do a switchy to a nissan or something of the like. Still undecided as yet.

Sorry for being so novice, ahaha..Still tryna get a grasp of things.spend 2k, get 5hp

leave it stock, its a nugget

Honda_FD
20-05-2015, 07:07 PM
Just do a Catback for a bit of sound and leave the headers and cat.
Changing headers will make quite loud. And a Loud Auto Civic isnt very fun. It'll drone heaps and probably be bit farty.

If I were to dump $1,000 - $1,500 I would spend on parts that makes the car more enjoyable to drive.
-Sound System
-Coilovers and a RSB
- Or just a nice set of wheels and lower it on springs.

Me personally, I'd get coilovers :) Drop it on its guts lol

Heres Bae

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z236/crazyazn312/11026302_1553616161559621_3685182175128890510_o.jp g

Blaze
20-05-2015, 07:10 PM
I have bad news for you... you should go and have a look at your VIN (Vehicle identification number) it's on your registration....it should start with JHM and then have some letters and numbers after.... You say you have an FD1 but that's the JDM civic.
Chances are you have the (European) FN1 or FK2. The engine in your car is most likely an R18A2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_R_engine

It's far from a performance engine.... the i-VTEC in that civic pretty much shuts down one or more cylinders when it cruises. The i-VTEC system in anything else but a type R is meant to save you fuel not give you power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTEC

Bro, save your money. Spend 500 max on a cat-back exhaust to make it sound nice and get yourself a set of rims to make it look nice and stop. Modifying that engine will burn a BIG hole in your pocket and you won't see any power.

Daniel.29
20-05-2015, 07:17 PM
spend 2k, get 5hp

leave it stock, its a nugget

Will do, haha. That is a fair point; doesn't seem to be worth it anymore.

Just do a Catback for a bit of sound and leave the headers and cat.
Changing headers will make quite loud. And a Loud Auto Civic isnt very fun. It'll drone heaps and probably be bit farty.

If I were to dump $1,000 - $1,500 I would spend on parts that makes the car more enjoyable to drive.
-Sound System
-Coilovers and a RSB
- Or just a nice set of wheels and lower it on springs.

Me personally, I'd get coilovers :) Drop it on its guts lol

Heres Bae

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z236/crazyazn312/11026302_1553616161559621_3685182175128890510_o.jp g

Yeah, I'll probs just do the catback for around that $400-$500 range, and get coilovers after for a drop in ride height. How much would I be set back if I go for coils? And what's the comfort of them like in general, and over speed humps?

I have bad news for you... you should go and have a look at your VIN (Vehicle identification number) it's on your registration....it should start with JHM and then have some letters and numbers after.... You say you have an FD1 but that's the JDM civic.
Chances are you have the (European) FN1 or FK2. The engine in your car is most likely an R18A2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_R_engine

It's far from a performance engine.... the i-VTEC in that civic pretty much shuts down one or more cylinders when it cruises. The i-VTEC system in anything else but a type R is meant to save you fuel not give you power.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTEC

Bro, save your money. Spend 500 max on a cat-back exhaust to make it sound nice and get yourself a set of rims to make it look nice and stop. Modifying that engine will burn a BIG hole in your pocket and you won't see any power.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the FD1. It's the sedan version, not the hatch european model. I'll upload a pic tomorrow when I actually have some lighting.

Blaze
20-05-2015, 07:19 PM
My mistake, the FN1 and FK2 are hatches...either way it won't be an FD1.

Blaze
20-05-2015, 07:22 PM
Check your VIN number

I have a del sol and the VIN starts with JHMEG2

J= Japan (country of maker)
HM= Honda Motor Co
EG2= chassis number.
Go from there...photos won't help. they all look the same but they have different engines in them.

For example, the EK9R has a B16B engine while the AUDM EKs have the D16Y sohc engine...the difference is night and day.

Daniel.29
20-05-2015, 07:22 PM
My mistake, the FN1 and FK2 are hatches...either way it won't be an FD1.

Wait, isn't this the FD?

Check your VIN number

I have a del sol and the VIN starts with JHMEG2

J= Japan (country of maker)
HM= Honda Motor Co
EG2= chassis number.
Go from there...photos won't help. they all look the same but they have different engines in them.

For example, the EK9R has a B16B engine while the AUDM EKs have the D16Y sohc engine...the difference is night and day.

Yep, will do now. One moment.

Daniel.29
20-05-2015, 07:26 PM
Yeah, I just checked. It says MRH FD1 followed by more digits.

I'm assuming that stands for Malaysia as place of make, RH for right hand, and FD1 for the model?

Stevil
20-05-2015, 07:28 PM
You can make the civic fd quick around a corner and they pull good too if you dont mind wasting $$ but that its, its got heaps of space for 4 adults and has a big boot. Only a sadist would spend money looking for more power.

Honda_FD
20-05-2015, 07:29 PM
FD1 = 8th Gen Civic Sedans. Vti or VTi-L. both came with a SOHC R18 Egnine.
FD2 = 8th Gen Civic Sedens. Sports model with K20z2

Honda_FD
20-05-2015, 07:35 PM
As for comfort and speed humps. As you can see my FD isnt a very functional height lol.
To get a car to sit low like mine (60mm) from the front lip. You would have to upgrade the springs to a more stiffer set.

Honestly, My dampers are set on max and its really not that bad. No ones ever complained about it being to harsh.
Parents are fine, Family dont complain and little cousins love it.
Plus in summer its awesome. Girls with low cut tops sitting at the front in a bumpy car.... Well.. I'll let your imagination do the rest lol

And as of speed humps. I have to crawl over that shit. The ones around my area is fine as I have figured them out and can get over then pretty fast.

Blaze
20-05-2015, 07:35 PM
FD1 = 8th Gen Civic Sedans. Vti or VTi-L. both came with a SOHC R18 Egnine.
FD2 = 8th Gen Civic Sedens. Sports model with K20z2

I defer to you. I was going by the info on wiki...

Daniel.29
20-05-2015, 07:42 PM
You can make the civic fd quick around a corner and they pull good too if you dont mind wasting $$ but that its, its got heaps of space for 4 adults and has a big boot. Only a sadist would spend money looking for more power.
I reckon it'd do well around a corner if it was a touch bit lower, but what would I know, lol.

As for comfort and speed humps. As you can see my FD isnt a very functional height lol.
To get a car to sit low like mine (60mm) from the front lip. You would have to upgrade the springs to a more stiffer set.

Honestly, My dampers are set on max and its really not that bad. No ones ever complained about it being to harsh.
Parents are fine, Family dont complain and little cousins love it.
Plus in summer its awesome. Girls with low cut tops sitting at the front in a bumpy car.... Well.. I'll let your imagination do the rest lol

And as of speed humps. I have to crawl over that shit. The ones around my area is fine as I have figured them out and can get over then pretty fast.

Haha, where I live, there's a shit load of speed humps, and the ones at uni are too much for me; they're headache worthy..

Honda_FD
20-05-2015, 07:55 PM
An RSB... Probably best bang for buck if you want a massive increase in handling.
Even on stock shocks you will notice the difference. If anything you'll make it handle worse with Coilovers unless you set it up right.

Daniel.29
20-05-2015, 08:02 PM
I don't have any pics of the civic as of recently, but here's roughly what it looks like.

Doesn't seem like this forum would let me upload the proper pictures, since they were too big, so I had to screenshot and downsize them all..

I'll try get better snaps eventually, but yeah, all I've done so far is:

- Gloss black vinyl wrapped roof spoiler (it was supposed to come unpainted, but turns out it came painted white) [picked up for cheap, so i decided to use it temporarily]
- Gloss black painted trunk lip
- Plasti-dipped matte black rims [temporary before I get new rims] and front grille section, along with the emblems and lettering
- matte black vinyl wrap chrome stripe on the side of the car above the sideskirt (I hate chrome..)
- 25% window tint
- mugen visors
- 4k white headlights, 6.5k white parking lights, and white license plate lights

What I intend to do to further rice it up: (lol)
- fd2r replica front bumper to replace damaged/dinted stock bumper (and it looks sleeker)
- some other things, if I can be stuffed after doing the catback and coilovers, etc.

Daniel.29
20-05-2015, 08:03 PM
An RSB... Probably best bang for buck if you want a massive increase in handling.
Even on stock shocks you will notice the difference. If anything you'll make it handle worse with Coilovers unless you set it up right.

What's RSB again? lol

Yeah, I'll do my research more towards when I can dish out the cash for it. As for now, catback is the focus.

EDIT: Alright, so I googled it and it's a rear sway bar, lol. How much, and where can one obtain one of these? And what size? 19mm? 23mm? And what brand?

jprak
21-05-2015, 02:12 AM
who dares call my name...

LOL!

like Honda_FD said...just get coils...I was on airbag suspension before...looked great and easy to go over humps...comfort...is the same as coils...
i would go back to it cause i like th stance look and all...unlike Honda_FD he moved on and got a euro...RIP old Honda_FD

If you're from NSW...JDMyard sells FD2R replica bar...not sure if in stock...

i had a spare Js racing lip but i sold it to stevil as he is preparing for time attack and i would know it would be in better use...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xtp1/v/t1.0-9/p600x600/10530762_10204331962442154_3456008219069164505_n.j pg?oh=5506a3f5852de33541080d76366e0d4f&oe=5604426A&__gda__=1442400988_bac58b7f27b395f3f7d820c631dd468 d

heres mine currently unpainted...been finding parts for my car till its painted...

Daniel.29
21-05-2015, 09:42 AM
Haha, looking good, mate.

l'll contact them soon and see what they can do if they can get those parts.

Coilovers is the way to go by the sounds it Lol.

I just called up an exhaust shop and spoke to him about what can be done in terms of this FD, as I told him I was after something with a slightly deep tone and also not too loud at the same time.

He gave me a few options as I'll list below.

- have a catback custom made from stainless steel
- have a catback custom made from something that's not stainless steel
- what muffler do I want

So in saying so..should I go for all stainless steel, or just the stainless steel muffler and the rest of the system some other metal? And is something like an xforce muffler alright?

Stevil
21-05-2015, 01:44 PM
Hey Jprak i got my entry confirmed for the WTA in October, you should be proud as your lip will be hurling around the creek at over 220kmh :eek:

jprak
21-05-2015, 02:07 PM
YES!!! Good on ya stevil, btw my mate and I want to join you at twilight (Y)

Keen to see how your FD looks!

Stevil
21-05-2015, 03:36 PM
Yeah be a few weeks till the splitter, lip, canard fender chop and mega flares are done, anyone for 295s on 18x10s lol

Daniel.29
21-05-2015, 06:08 PM
UPDATE

So after speaking to the guys at OTR Motorsports, I'm currently leaning towards a J's racing (C304) axle-back instead of the full catback, which was recommended to me by those guys (who told me to probs stay away from a catback if it's just for the R18/Auto (I'm assuming this is "good" advice, since they saved me money in the process too?)). Well, anyways, the price would be roughly $650 including installation; is that decent, anyone?

Blaze
21-05-2015, 06:19 PM
Yeah, that's solid advice...you would only upgrade the full pipe if you were upgrading the header too...the axle back will give you all the sound you want and your performance won't suffer.

Daniel.29
21-05-2015, 06:26 PM
Yeah, that's solid advice...you would only upgrade the full pipe if you were upgrading the header too...the axle back will give you all the sound you want and your performance won't suffer.

Yep, sounds pretty good to me for now. :)

I dig the sound of it. Sounds deep and tough, and not ricey at all. I guess the only down side if I had to pick on it in a way, would be that it's close to fart can in terms of it's cylindral body, but that should be alright, if half of it is hidden under the bumper.

Blaze
21-05-2015, 06:38 PM
You'll be right, you'll fall in love with it the first time you hear it and all will be well...

Daniel.29
21-05-2015, 06:40 PM
You'll be right, you'll fall in love with it the first time you hear it and all will be well...

Cheers, man. :)

SharkChu
21-05-2015, 06:47 PM

Agreed. I did with mine.

Daniel.29
21-05-2015, 07:18 PM
Agreed. I did with mine.

Would you ever say it'd be considered as too loud? or is it just right when cruising normally?

SharkChu
22-05-2015, 10:49 PM
Would you ever say it'd be considered as too loud? or is it just right when cruising normally?

My goal with my exhaust, was to give the car a bit of personality but not so much as to draw attention.

It gets some use to, depends on the person but I love the sound, drove my mates FD2 no exhaust/no CAI, and it just felt wrong. hahah

Initially drove with the silencer piece attached on, and after a week or so, took it off. Money well spelt. Any droning on highways etc does not bother me at all.

Got the J's Racing axle-back from JDMconcept btw.

Daniel.29
22-05-2015, 11:09 PM
Ah yes, the same one I just ordered!

What's it like silenced? Do you reckon it's subtle, or is it really out there, for without the silencer?

SharkChu
22-05-2015, 11:34 PM
Ah yes, the same one I just ordered!

What's it like silenced? Do you reckon it's subtle, or is it really out there, for without the silencer?

Don't bother with the silencer, just take it out when you install it. It's never "too loud".

Daniel.29
23-05-2015, 12:04 AM
Don't bother with the silencer, just take it out when you install it. It's never "too loud".

Alright, so let's say I took a family member for a spin in the car, would they annoyed at it's volume? Or pick it up right off the bat in comparison to stock? hahaha

Daniel.29
23-05-2015, 01:38 PM
Random question guys...

Does a lip like this lower the rear bumper a bit as well? Or does it just another design that sits flush on the OEM bumper?

(http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HONDA-CIVIC-FD-06-11-MUGEN-REAR-LIP-BUMPER-/290939850361?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&fits=Model%3ACivic&hash=item43bd5dce79)

jprak
23-05-2015, 02:06 PM
Lowers it, you won't scrub with people in the car with stock height

Daniel.29
23-05-2015, 02:13 PM
Lowers it, you won't scrub with people in the car with stock height

Ahaha, sweet.

To lip or to FD2R bumper..Decisions, decisions...

Say, has anyone had experience with BodykitsKingdom before? (http://www.bodykitskingdom.co.uk/magento/honda/civic.html)

EDIT: More noob questions to be asked: For a daily and never track; springs or coils?

jprak
23-05-2015, 02:45 PM
If you want a fd2r and in NSW just go JDMyard for it

Blaze
23-05-2015, 03:19 PM
Ahaha, sweet.

Say, has anyone had experience with BodykitsKingdom before? (http://www.bodykitskingdom.co.uk/magento/honda/civic.html)

EDIT: More noob questions to be asked: For a daily and never track; springs or coils?
Springs are cheaper and will do the job fine.

Have a look here...great range of products and the guys there are really helpful too.

www.jdmyard.com

Honda_FD
23-05-2015, 04:41 PM
An Axle back wont change the noise by much. I've experimented it with two different mufflers and both same outcome. Honestly, It sounds exactly like stock.
If you are looking for noise then just get an Axle and chop off one of the resonators. Thats what I did. No resonators and a straight through muffler and
I'm making 110 DB. Which is loud. The MCG Football stadium with the crowed screaming makes 103 DB. But I have a Varex so it only opens when I want it to
and quiet as stock if Im not in a mood to make noise. Keep in mind this is with the stock 1.75" piping. I can make it heaps louder if I get a bigger pipe but yeah... 110 db is enough..

Js Racing is good and all but I dont see justice spending big bucks on a muffler. Especially on an FD. Try finding a secondhand Js muffler or any other Japanese brand if you want jap. Or look into a Varex Muffler. A Varex Muffler is so handy being able to adjust the volume. I personally wouldn't want to spend $650 on a muffler that wont do much... Performance wise. Before you know it. You'll be spending $850 on this. Installing the muffler is $100 and then you'll realize it made no sound difference and then you'll go chop your resonator off which will cost another $100. Trust man, Im speaking through my experiences and I've told multiple people that changing the muffler alone wont do much and it always ends how I say it will. They're always, "I'll do muffler for now and then see how it sounds." Then less than 24 hours they message me asking how I got mine so loud.

This is mine with only 1 resonator removed. Not as loud as it is currently now but that resonator makes a big difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBe7OZIRECg

Daniel.29
23-05-2015, 04:56 PM
If you want a fd2r and in NSW just go JDMyard for it

From Melbourne, but I did shoot them an email to see if they have any of the kit stuff in stock, since I couldn't find any on their site.

Springs are cheaper and will do the job fine.

Have a look here...great range of products and the guys there are really helpful too.

www.jdmyard.com

Will do.

An Axle back wont change the noise by much. I've experimented it with two different mufflers and both same outcome. Honestly, It sounds exactly like stock.
If you are looking for noise then just get an Axle and chop off one of the resonators. Thats what I did. No resonators and a straight through muffler and
I'm making 110 DB. Which is loud. The MCG Football stadium with the crowed screaming makes 103 DB. But I have a Varex so it only opens when I want it to
and quiet as stock if Im not in a mood to make noise. Keep in mind this is with the stock 1.75" piping. I can make it heaps louder if I get a bigger pipe but yeah... 110 db is enough..

Js Racing is good and all but I dont see justice spending big bucks on a muffler. Especially on an FD. Try finding a secondhand Js muffler or any other Japanese brand if you want jap. Or look into a Varex Muffler. A Varex Muffler is so handy being able to adjust the volume. I personally wouldn't want to spend $650 on a muffler that wont do much... Performance wise. Before you know it. You'll be spending $850 on this. Installing the muffler is $100 and then you'll realize it made no sound difference and then you'll go chop your resonator off which will cost another $100. Trust man, Im speaking through my experiences and I've told multiple people that changing the muffler alone wont do much and it always ends how I say it will. They're always, "I'll do muffler for now and then see how it sounds." Then less than 24 hours they message me asking how I got mine so loud.

This is mine with only 1 resonator removed. Not as loud as it is currently now but that resonator makes a big difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBe7OZIRECg

Good point...Now you're making me rethink my decision, lol... :o

I already put down a deposit on the axle back, and I suppose I still have roughly a month to decide if I really want it or not. I used to want a varex, but always got told by mechanics and all that, that they weren't good for street use, since apparently they easily get dicked by the cops. Btw, the $650 included the installation of the unit too. I guess I'll see how it goes, and if it isn't worthy, I'll either sell it off, or get a friend to chop off a resonator for me. Not after something too loud when just cruising around at like 2k-2.5k rpm, maybe just a slightly deep tone/drone.

Daniel.29
23-05-2015, 05:20 PM
@Honda_FD: Does yours sound like this in a garage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlE9_y0sPaM

Honda_FD
23-05-2015, 05:37 PM
Dont get me wrong. Js Racing mufflers are awesome. I just prefer the Varex as I used to leave for work at 6am so it comes in handy.
Not to mention when getting pulled over or going through a Random Breath Test you can make it quiet with a button. Its your money and your car you can do whatever you want.
As for getting pulled over Im pretty sure a Js Mufflers gets more attention than an average oval muffler lol.

Videos are hard to tell. But if I give my car a flogging underground I can set of car alarms. Which I dont. Cause its dangerous. But I have... Lol
My brother mainly drives the car now and when he leaves home I can hear him cruising it 3 blocks + A Football oval away. Its not farty or ricey so all good.

Personal preferences. Thats all.

Daniel.29
23-05-2015, 05:50 PM
Dont get me wrong. Js Racing mufflers are awesome. I just prefer the Varex as I used to leave for work at 6am so it comes in handy.
Not to mention when getting pulled over or going through a Random Breath Test you can make it quiet with a button. Its your money and your car you can do whatever you want.
As for getting pulled over Im pretty sure a Js Mufflers gets more attention than an average oval muffler lol.

Videos are hard to tell. But if I give my car a flogging underground I can set of car alarms. Which I dont. Cause its dangerous. But I have... Lol
My brother mainly drives the car now and when he leaves home I can hear him cruising it 3 blocks + A Football oval away. Its not farty or ricey so all good.

Personal preferences. Thats all.

Ah yeah, that's fair enough then, haha.

3 blocks and a footy oval sounds like that thing must be pretty loud if he's just "cruising"!

Say, how much did you get the varex for? and exhaust system wise, you're running a catback or stock? (Not sure if you've said it before or not, lol)

Stevil
25-05-2015, 01:36 PM
Only 3 blocks ya not trying hard enough ive had mate tell me they could her my exhaust for over 5mins and about 5kms away lol

Honda_FD
25-05-2015, 07:11 PM
Only 3 blocks ya not trying hard enough ive had mate tell me they could her my exhaust for over 5mins and about 5kms away lol

Thats unfair lol. I only have a Varex Muffler and the oem 1.75" pipe.
You have a 3" right? Talk about exhausts... ;)

SharkChu
25-05-2015, 11:36 PM
Ahaha, sweet.

Dealt with them once, they decent enough, talk to them directly, they may shave off a few dollars on their pricing, depends on what you're buying.

And my muffler, hasn't drawn any attention since I put them on ages ago. Just as I'm leaving an RBT station, I just accelerate very very slowly.. I've have seen cops double take when they hear my car though. Helps that I'm at stock height haha

Daniel.29
26-05-2015, 11:43 AM
Haha, did you remove your resonator or kept it on?

SharkChu
31-05-2015, 11:42 PM
Haha, did you remove your resonator or kept it on?

Kept everything on, I didn't want to annoy the neighbours or myself lol.

Daniel.29
03-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Well, just received and had my 50R J's racing exhaust installed. Thing sounds good for an axle-back that's on a stock R18 (a/t)!

Blaze
03-06-2015, 06:52 PM
Did it meet your expectations?

RenzokukenJ
03-06-2015, 07:26 PM
Lol ok

Vvvtec
03-06-2015, 07:40 PM
Hey guys anyone know where I can get fd1 intake kn model

Daniel.29
03-06-2015, 08:00 PM
Hey guys anyone know where I can get fd1 intake kn model

eBay if you wanna save a hundred or so off the rrp, or just from K&N or reseller of their's. Model number, i believe is: 69-1013TS, for the FD1 1.8L.

Did it meet your expectations?

Yeah, it did, haha. I was a bit scared it might've turned out to be a rice can sound, but it turned out just the way I want it. A nice, deep tone that isn't too loud. In saying so, I'd prefer it to be a bit quieter at lower rpms (1.5-2k) but I guess you can't really ask for that in an aftermarket exhaust.

Lol ok

aye, a VL turbo! (cue *zutututu* sound)