PDA

View Full Version : 94 Accord VTi Purchased! What to look for? What to do next?

blurrybird
24-05-2015, 02:26 PM
Hi guys,

Figured I would register here as I have recently picked up a '94 Accord VTi! (Advertised as a '95 VTi-S but the badge and VicRoads says otherwise)
Cherry Red in colour with ~220,000km on the clock. Full Honda service history all the way back to 0km in the provided books. Timing belt @ 140,000km. One owner since new and only selling so she can move into retirement.

Runs great, starts every morning first or second crank, seems to be shaping up to be an awesome car!
Just wondering what I should be looking out for in terms of problems or things that may need to be replaced soon.

Also, the OEM headlights (possibly headlight protectors) are quite poor or angled incorrectly. Are there any recommendations for headlights that are both legal in Victoria and offer superior performance?

Cheers,

Jasemas
25-05-2015, 08:43 PM
Hi guys,

Figured I would register here as I have recently picked up a '94 Accord VTi! (Advertised as a '95 VTi-S but the badge and VicRoads says otherwise)
Cherry Red in colour with ~220,000km on the clock. Full Honda service history all the way back to 0km in the provided books. Timing belt @ 140,000km. One owner since new and only selling so she can move into retirement.

Runs great, starts every morning first or second crank, seems to be shaping up to be an awesome car!
Just wondering what I should be looking out for in terms of problems or things that may need to be replaced soon.

Also, the OEM headlights (possibly headlight protectors) are quite poor or angled incorrectly. Are there any recommendations for headlights that are both legal in Victoria and offer superior performance?

Cheers,

Hey there congrats on the pickup
Unfortunately people lie about the badge of the car
Still the Vti is great. Only difference betwen the Vti and VtiS is leather, digital cliamte control (some models) and a few extra tiddley bits

A couple of things to watch out for
A/C & temp control knob tend to break due to the poor desgin of them
Common oil leaks around the timing belt side of the engine, if the seals were not changed during this major service
Distributor oil seal between itself and the head will leak
Distributor INTERNAL seal around the bearing shaft will leak and require an overhaul (roughly $100 for new seal and bearing)
Due to the disitributor leaking, there is a coolant hose that runs underneath. As a resut the hose will rupture unexpectdly. Causing lose of coolant and send the electricals into a mess.
Also when was the last time the timing belt was done? - it needs to be done every 5 years/100,000kms, whichever comes first.

Keep it regularly serviced with 5w/10w - 30 oil & filter and theyll last for a while

Fredoops
01-06-2015, 03:36 PM
Use a 40 weight oil with zinc since those engines were from days before the low zinc oil diet due to emissions.