PDA

View Full Version : ABS issues, maybe.

Blaze
24-06-2015, 10:59 PM
Car: Honda CRX (Del Sol)
Build date: May '96

So on occasion, when I start the car the ABS light will stay on for longer than usual and the car will make a noise like some wires are shorting out or something. It's a wierd vibration like noise and until it stops the ABS light will stay on. From the information that was supplied to me by the previous owner, the ABS system had a fault but was repaired, however this noise has been happening for a while now and recently the ABS light has been turning on while i've been driving (the noise happens too but will stop after 15 seconds).

Has this happened to anyone else before? Any ideas what would be causing it and how to fix?

It hasn't bothered me in the past because it would only happen for 3 or so seconds when I'd start the car, but it's happening more frequently and while I'm driving as well.

Thanks.

ECU-MAN
25-06-2015, 08:51 AM
Your ABS Accumulator is failing or has failed.

On power up the ABS ECU does a self test from time to time and that is the noise your hearing, you can feel the brake pedal vibrate as well.

When the accumulator has failed the ABS pump runs longer to try and build up the pressure however it cannot and the ECU detects this and registers a fault code.

Fault code 1-8 (Accumulator Gas Leak) in ABS memory confirms this.

cbauto
25-06-2015, 09:44 AM
I'm in the process of trying to find a spare one to repair. I know the location of two but these people are unwilling to part with the abs unit.

As soon as I have updates, I will update you.

My reply to u is complete

Blaze
25-06-2015, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the replies. I'll keep my foot on the brake pedal the next time I start the car to see if there is any vibration as well. Is that a common issue with ABS systems? I'll have a look to see what repairs were done when the system was faulty last time and I'll update.

cbauto
25-06-2015, 12:12 PM
From my thorough internet investigations, I believe all that's needed is a new O ring.

Blaze
25-06-2015, 12:38 PM
Do they still make those new? Would I be able to pick one up from a Honda service centre? I wouldn't know where to pick one up from.

RenzokukenJ
25-06-2015, 12:47 PM
honda should be able to get them in, unless they are shitty and wont help you

amant advise

d0ugie
26-06-2015, 03:49 PM
ABS Accumulator failing is common.
As far as these O'rings go, which are you speaking of? The modulator piston o'rings?

Blaze
27-06-2015, 12:26 AM
Still waiting for it to fail at start up. I don't understand why it would fail a few times and then be fine again.

cbauto
27-06-2015, 08:30 AM
Still waiting for it to fail at start up. I don't understand why it would fail a few times and then be fine again.
It's called an intermittent failure.

ECU-MAN
27-06-2015, 12:08 PM

Because the pressure has built up enough not to fail, when the pressure is to low the pump has to run longer, the ABS ECU detects this and trips the code.

Blaze
28-06-2015, 12:42 AM
Because the pressure has built up enough not to fail, when the pressure is to low the pump has to run longer, the ABS ECU detects this and trips the code.
Oh ok, that makes sense. I thought that it wouldn't be able to build up pressure at all if it was faulty. You learn something new every day.

Toniolll
28-06-2015, 08:53 AM
Your brake fluid is low

Blaze
29-06-2015, 12:01 AM
Brake fluid is near max level. I regularly check my fluid levels and my oil.

cbauto
29-06-2015, 07:53 AM
FIY
ON our DC2, we have removed the the ABS relay so that it doesn't prime anymore. (ABS light stays on)

reason being that after 5 minutes or so driving, the ABS light will inevitably come on.

Just leave it the way it is until i can find one to fix then swap it over.

Blaze
29-06-2015, 10:49 AM
FIY
ON our DC2, we have removed the the ABS relay so that it doesn't prime anymore. (ABS light stays on)

reason being that after 5 minutes or so driving, the ABS light will inevitably come on.

Just leave it the way it is until i can find one to fix then swap it over.

Thanks heaps for your help.

grifty
29-06-2015, 10:40 PM
Normal for the ABS to prime more often during cold weather? No codes being thrown.

Blaze
29-06-2015, 11:26 PM
To be honest I haven't checked for codes, I don't know how. I was going to ask them to run a test when I take the car for it's next service.

cbauto
30-06-2015, 07:58 AM
Normal for the ABS to prime more often during cold weather? No codes being thrown.

it's a sign it's on the way out.