PDA

View Full Version : EBAY turbo kits

BiGANG
15-04-2005, 03:53 PM
hey guys, i have been looking for gear to get my turbo kit happening. I noticed on ebay there are a couple of kits that some independant guys sell that look really good, and are pretty cheap, but i was wondering if the quality was anygood. I was tossing up between the drag kit (expensive) or a couple of no namers that looked really good, that had tubular stainless manifolds compared to the cast ugly drag and rev hard ones, front mount intercooler, 2.5" piping all mandrel bent and t3 turbo with upgrade for t3/4 available. Also i wanted to know if there was a difference in aluminium or stainless piping, which one would be better. not looking.

CHEERS GUYS

joyride
15-04-2005, 04:08 PM
on ebay, you get what you pay for. be careful.

[stealth]
15-04-2005, 08:29 PM
hard to say.. anyone used one before?

barefootbonzai
16-04-2005, 07:05 PM
Give it a go mate and tell us how it goes. I was thinking about doin it myself, but was just to pussy to risk it. Who knows, it may good enough for what you want.

**Ghost**
16-04-2005, 09:14 PM
dont get SS AUtochrome

BiGANG
17-04-2005, 02:28 AM
have u tried ss autochrome? is there a reason not to get them or just because they look dodgy.. i was looking at another one by i think the guys website is called vecco.net. seems pretty legit. but who knows

10KRPM
17-04-2005, 08:15 AM
ss autochrome ....cheap manifolds...which for the price they sell at you cant complain too much...cos really you dont want to spend the money and you get a cheaper product then its your own fault.

Most of the cheaper shit comes from China now too.....and the quality is slowly going up due to increased competition and demand for better products.

CHU85
17-04-2005, 10:50 AM
not anything wrong with the manifolds.
its just that the kit is not really a bolt up kit. only the manifold fits on to the block.

[DC2]
21-04-2005, 09:51 PM
i agree with joyride

Blew_lude
22-04-2005, 12:35 AM
ebay?..i bought a nintendo 64 of ebay 2 months ago, and i still havent got it.
if there is a chance that something worth 20 buks not turning up, i think ur turbo might get intercepted!

**Ghost**
22-04-2005, 02:27 AM
i dont bag SSA from experience... : ) happily so

just that my mate bought one for a b18A LS teggy...cracked in 3 weeks

tRipitaka
22-04-2005, 09:13 AM
on ebay, you get what you pay for. be careful.

BiGANG
23-04-2005, 04:02 AM
thanks guys. youve been really helpful. is there anyone on the honda forums that sells turbo kits for hondas then, and if so what are they worth roughly.?

joyride
26-04-2005, 11:43 AM
theres a few members here who would help you out. run a broad search in the FI section and you'll know who to speak to.

panda[cRx]
28-04-2005, 02:14 AM
ebay?..i bought a nintendo 64 of ebay 2 months ago, and i still havent got it.
if there is a chance that something worth 20 buks not turning up, i think ur turbo might get intercepted!

i have bought plenty of things from ebay and have never had a problem, although my mate didnt get his muffler he ordered but he got his money back so all good:thumbsup:

BiGANG
03-05-2005, 02:19 PM
i might give it a go in the near future. Ill keep you guys posted.

[stealth]
13-05-2005, 01:58 AM
i dont bag SSA from experience... : ) happily so

just that my mate bought one for a b18A LS teggy...cracked in 3 weeks

bought a turbo kit from them? can u elaborate??

its really hard to say.. I mean these kits do look like the got some alright looking bits and all.. perhaps can buy some other things to replace etc like manifold...

like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7973643853&category=33742

or this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7973995839&category=33742

they seem to come with everything needed.. so which parts would suck in particular? turbo + manifold??

RUDEF2
13-05-2005, 05:46 PM
Ive never had a problem with buying stuff off ebay, but i know off others that had, I say give it a shot...

Clarkey

[stealth]
13-05-2005, 05:49 PM
well I havent had no problems buying off ebay either.... but when it comes to turbo kits.. thats a different thing... ppl saying.. very poor quality etc..

**Ghost**
13-05-2005, 05:57 PM
ebay products are generally really good if

1. you are getting non-mechanical products like gearknobs
2. you are getting well reputed prodcuts

Ok to elaborate... My friend bought a SS Autochrome manifold + Fuel Pressure REgulator + Manifoled + t25 kit from Stone Mountain (distributor)... he used it for 8 weeks i think...granted he was a bit of a thrasher but after the short time the manifold (the exhaust manifold) warped from the heat and developed a crack on one of the pipes.....

[stealth]
13-05-2005, 09:37 PM
ok.. so say I purchased the kit... would it be ok to say.. If i got a different manifold say AVO or something... I wouldnt have much else to worry about? or maybe more probs with turbo or dump pipe etc?

**Ghost**
13-05-2005, 10:03 PM
i actually dont know enough about turbos to comment : ) all i know i sthat SS autochrome manifolds have crakced under strenous use...

[stealth]
13-05-2005, 11:21 PM
ah ok.. need someone who knows more HERE please!

:)

z3lda
13-05-2005, 11:25 PM
buy the kits and get a custom manifold with a flange to match the turbo. get a custom dump to match the turbo.

costum dump pipe wont cost much but the manifold will.

avo doesnt make custom manifold. they dont make or help anyone that doesnt purchases there kits.

[stealth]
13-05-2005, 11:53 PM
so the turbo u think would be ok?? last long and safe?

z3lda
13-05-2005, 11:57 PM
yea turbo would be ok. it'l last long and be safe unless u max it power limits out. but even so.. u can still rebiuld it if something goes wrong

[stealth]
14-05-2005, 12:18 AM
how much does it cost to make a custom manifold? or where would u go to find a good one for say H22A..

poid
14-05-2005, 09:42 AM
the thurbos on those kits have been known to shit themselves as well (the stone racing or XSpower or whatever they are called).

Its just a shite kit overall...you are much better going with Greddy or AVO for example

RUDEF2
14-05-2005, 10:35 AM
I say give it a shot, you have got nothing to loose... you can always rebuild

Clarkey

MR-VTEC
14-05-2005, 10:42 AM
I say give it a shot, you have got nothing to loose... you can always rebuild

Clarkey

ummmmmm except MONEY and TIME:rolleyes: . to invest this amount of money into something you arent sure of isnt my idea of 'you have nothing to lose'.

10KRPM
15-05-2005, 08:04 AM
That turbo looks pretty small but that just helps in the low spool up time.

Another thing that isnt mentioned in these kits are fuel injectors...and fuel pump replacements.

I know its hard but i dont think you can turbo a honda for cheap...just end up paying more later on when problems pop up.

A custom manifold shouldnt cost more then 6-800 dollars to make up. Best to find an exhaust shop that has done it before though so you dont end up paying for there "first one".

Realistically....your looking at about 6-8grand to turbo the car properly.

BiGANG
15-05-2005, 11:27 AM
yeh i was budgeting about that much too realistically. another question, if i was still planning to run standard internals, would i need a bigger fuel rail to handle the extra fuel required or is just injectors enough? How much power is the standard fuel rail for basically

[stealth]
15-05-2005, 11:37 AM
Nah I think I can turbo a car nicely for 4-5kish.... just dont have that kinda $$ lying around at the moment :(

10KRPM
16-05-2005, 08:33 AM
If you dont want to get bigger injectors (bad idea) :P you can get around it by installing a fuel pressure regulator. How it works is that for say every pound of boost that comes into the engine, it raises the fuel pressure accordingly. A bit of a band aid solution but it would do for the short term.

Realistically you dont want to run your injectors at more then 80-85 percent duty cycle, any more and it may shorten the life of the injector considerably and you also run the risk of running out of fuel and blowing up or severly damaging the engine.

As for turboing a honda for 4-5 k.....yes if you can get the parts cheap enough and you do most of the labour yourself.

Heres the prices of items i know
power fc 1k
intercooler 3-400 dollars ( cheap china hybrid copy)
piping 3-400 dollars...maybe more if you go stainless or aluminium.
bov -100-200 dollars
fuel pump 200-300 dollars
injectors 7-900 dollars or fpr 300 dollars
tuning 600-1000 dollars depending on the skill of the tuner.
boost controller - bleed valve or ebc 100 vs 6-700 dollars
manifold 3-600 dollars
turbo at least 1200 dollars brand new....2nd hand? ive seen T25's for 300 dollars......but how long would it last? luck of the draw.
exaust system 600 bucks..mild steel
hi flow cat 200-300 bucks
then you have the odd bits and ends....gaskets/seals/ etc etc budget another 200 ?

there you go....have i missed anything?

All up around 7500? and thats just the parts!! the labour which is hmmmm around 60-80 dollars per/hour

So really....4-5 grand.....i think thats very difficult to do...not impossible but still....you get the idea

[stealth]
16-05-2005, 12:07 PM
ok back to those ebay kits... so u guys reckon.. the only real issues would be are the MANIFOLD and possibly the TURBO... the rest of the bits should be fairly ok??

saxman
16-05-2005, 12:36 PM
ssac/stone mountain racing/xs power kits are complete crap. the manifolds are made from subpar material, there is no bracing, the condensor design is horrible, etc. The turbos, which are listed as a t3/t04 is actually much smaller, a lot of the time come from the factory unbalanced, and there have been some which have the compressor section of the turbo literally epoxied together... I don't know who came up with the idea to epoxy a turbo housing together, but it doesn't work. Their downpipes, which are listed as 2.5" usually show up being way less(closer to 2"), etc. The wastegates they use are actually not half bad... after you swap the spring out for a tial(they rarely come with the correct psi spring that they're listed as), and you've disassembled to whole thing, loctited all of the studs, and retorqued everything. If you want to spend the money only to have to redo everything in a month or two, go for it, but they're utter crap.

As for the cost of turboing a honda, it can be done quite inexpensively. I'm from the states, where my first turbo set up I did cost me around AU$1200. I've done a turbo install event for the UK del sol folks, where the cost ended up around AU$3000. That included a complete parts set up(stainless log manifold, t3 60 trim turbo, pipes, 450cc injectors, 36" x6" core front mount intercooler, chipped ecu, etc), shipping of all the parts to the UK from the states, and the cost for me to fly out there and stay, install the parts, and street tune each ecu for each car to 10 psi, etc. All the parts were brand new except for the turbo which was basically a remanufactured housing with a brand new center section from garrett.

Defientely run bigger injectors with a turbo set up. Running a boost dependent fmu is a bad idea. It gets the job done, but it can't be tuned at all, so you're really flying blind. You get no ignition control, so you're far more likely to detonate and blow your engine. Running much higher fuel pressure(if you were to run an fmu at 8 psi of boost, you're running about 140psi of fuel pressure for a system designed for closer to 40(4oish psi base fuel pressure + 12 psi increase per pound of boost) runs a significant risk of causing injector failure... which means blown engine. It's not worth the risk.

obviously this doesn't include some costs, like an exhaust system/high flow cat as listed above, but it includes everything needed to reliabily convert the car over to forced induction.

10KRPM
16-05-2005, 08:19 PM
I dont think there would be enough guys here to warrant the expense of you coming out downunder....

But if you can do a decent turbo install for 3 grand then id be interested :D

DJhonda
26-05-2005, 09:23 AM
these turbo ain't properly balanced and tend to die in a few 1000km's

GSI-PSI
26-05-2005, 07:03 PM
oh my god, you people are scaring the shit out of this poor bloke. It will cost $4800 for a stage 1 turbo kit from AVO and its a simple bolt on. I done mine myself with no worries. Also if you are not mechanically minded then just pay them 2 install it for approx $1500. Oh and 1 last thing. It cost me $200 to dyno my car so if you get charged 1k like someone said previously, then u definately got the wrong tuner lol. Do yaself a favour and rong AVO and speak 2 leo. Mention me if u have 2.

[stealth]
26-05-2005, 07:09 PM
straight bolt on kit for Type R is it? B18C?

GSI-PSI
26-05-2005, 07:30 PM
its a straight bolt on for any b series engine, wether it be a civic or integra gsi, vtir or type r.

10KRPM
26-05-2005, 07:31 PM
200 dollars to dyno the car....

Thats not covering the tuning of the thing.

GSI-PSI
26-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Erm DYNO TUNE that means tuning and that is wat i paid.

ProECU
26-05-2005, 07:51 PM
Thats relatively cheap. How long were you on the dyno?

GSI-PSI
26-05-2005, 07:52 PM
approx 1 hour.

ProECU
26-05-2005, 08:01 PM
hmmm, thats relatively expensive.

GSI-PSI
26-05-2005, 08:18 PM
so is 1k hmmmm lol

saxman
26-05-2005, 09:32 PM
1 hour of dyno tuning? that's awfully quick... sounds like a lets get the a/f ratios for full throttle dialed in and not worry about ignition tuning or part throttle tuning...

or you have a super fast tuner!(I've never seen someone fully tune that quickly)

GSI-PSI
26-05-2005, 10:47 PM
ok maybe because mine was a piggyback link. thats probably y it was so quick.

BLKCRX
27-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Tuning a car on a dyno within 1 hour is very possible, one HUGE key difference is out here we can, all of our dynos can hold a steady ramp and load rate, but in the US all the mustag, dynopac, etc can’t hold load. Holding load makes tuning part throttle and even full throttle very easy if you can tune in real time. ;) to quickly check a 15*20 fuel and ignition map, on a link piggyback ECU and tune is very feasible.. although I personally would’t like 2 stress the owners engine out that much.
Typically I take 3 days to tune a car, which involves installation, setup, cold starts, limits, warnings, road tuning, dyno tuning, more road running, then tuning the car with the customer for his or her’s driving style…but yes 1 hour if I wanted to, I could run a car up and get it out of the workshop easy, and it would be safe, its just I would never rush a job like that, especially when forced induction is involved

Regards James