PDA

View Full Version : CL9 Lux with Navi audio upgrades...

CL9er
06-09-2015, 02:38 PM
Hi guys,

I have finally started tinkering with the audio. Mission brief is enhanced functionality and improved SQ whilst retaining the factory look and feel.

Stage 1:
Add Usb/aux in.
Successfully achieved a few weeks ago.

Stage 2:
Sound deaden doors, improve front stage, throw in sub and amp... Complete yesterday.

Stage 3:
Custom sub box - fire thru rear passenger arm rest, false panel in boot to hide gear away.

Stage 4:
Add processing and enjoy driving ;)

CL9er
06-09-2015, 02:56 PM
Gear so far is as follows:
EBay aux adapter

LOC

Steg Qm 45.6 multichannel amp

SB17 Midbass drivers, run from two channels

Morel Tempo tweeters, running off another two channels of the Steg

Focal 21V2 8" sub - running off the last two channels bridged

STP silver sound deadening applied to both skins of the front doors.

CL9er
06-09-2015, 03:35 PM
So for anyone interested the front stage is running active, crossed over at 3khz on the Steg amp.

As mentioned above I have deadened both skins of the front doors and love how it takes all the resonance out of the doors. I strongly recommend this step as part of any door speaker install.287592876028761

The SB's just squeezed into the factory locations courtesy of a 25mm deep spacer ring. fwiw there is about 2mm clearance between the motor and the window face. There is a protrusion on the back of the door trim behind the speaker grill that also needed surgery to clear... All in all installing these SB drivers into a Euro is not for the faint of heart. If I didn't already have these I would buy something slimmer to drop in to the door (almost any other 6 or 6.5" car audio driver!)

See the factory mid vs SB17:

The Morels were effectively plastic welded onto the factory tweeter mounts so the whole front stage looks identical to stock.