PDA

View Full Version : Strange whistling noise in 2005 CRV

albit51
27-09-2015, 07:53 AM
I have a 2005 Honda CRV and have been hearing these weird short whistling sounds. The short whistle happens intermittently while driving along. It happens at speeds anywhere from 60 - 90kph and seems to be coming from somewhere around the right side of the car. It sounds as if there is a bird or something inside or outside the door. This happens without pressing any pedals (other than the accelerator)
Has anyone else had this experience?
I was wondering whether it could have anything to do with the recall surrounding the airbag problem?

bennjamin
27-09-2015, 08:36 AM
Got an aftermarket air filter ? might be a new resonance type induction noise
Or check your wheel bearings / play
Or check the function of your gearbox (bearings / diffs)

Also could be something simple like a stick or stone stuck in or around the suspension or tyre area

Take it to a trusted mechanic , go for a test drive with them to show the noise - then investigate

albit51
27-09-2015, 05:24 PM
Got an aftermarket air filter ? might be a new resonance type induction noise
Or check your wheel bearings / play
Or check the function of your gearbox (bearings / diffs)

Also could be something simple like a stick or stone stuck in or around the suspension or tyre area

Take it to a trusted mechanic , go for a test drive with them to show the noise - then investigate

Thanks Benjamin, the noise only lasts for about 1-2 seconds and as I said, it happens at completely random times while driving along. It could happen once during a 10km drive or a few times, so trying to demonstrate it to a mechanic could be very time consuming and possibly futile.

The type of whistle/noise is definitely not mechanical and can only be described as something a bird or pressurized air container would make.

bennjamin
27-09-2015, 05:38 PM
Hate to say - it will be impossible to determine on the internets.
Maybe try and record the noise as you drive and present to a mech ?

albit51
27-09-2015, 07:55 PM
Hate to say - it will be impossible to determine on the internets.
Maybe try and record the noise as you drive and present to a mech ?

True, it would be hard to diagnose on the net.

The main reason I joined the forum, was in the hope that another CRV owner out there may have had the same experience and found out what it is.......

Trying to record it would be an option I guess. The trick would be knowing when to turn the recorder on, as you never know when it might happen next. It's actually my wife's car so i don't drive it very often.