PDA

View Full Version : 1994 Accord fuel pump

anthropoidape
08-10-2015, 01:20 PM
Hi all,

My 1994 Accord stranded me today with a failed fuel pump - parked it, and it simply cranked without firing. I had previously been hearing a whine from the back of the car for a few days (even without the kids in the back seat) so I thought the fuel pump was the likely problem. This was (I think) confirmed when the RACV guy came and gave the fuel tank a couple of whacks from underneath with a mallet while I turned the key. It started straight away, but on arrival at home... the fuel pump is now out of commission.

The question is this - as far as I can tell, the fuel tank needs to be lowered to get the pump out. Before I do this, I want to double check whether the pump is accessible if you remove the base of the rear seat. I would rather do the job from above than from below if it is possible.

This is, to be totally honest, a bit of a throw-away car that I am reluctant to do much work on at all, but I would like to have it running a bit longer if I can so I will have to press on and fix it before I can dump it. I have to admit that other than this it has been very reliable despite not really getting looked after.

Any help appreciated.

Jason

anthropoidape
08-10-2015, 02:39 PM
Follow up question, anyone know of a mobile mech who would replace the fuel pump here in Boronia, Vic for me?

lolmclol
08-10-2015, 02:46 PM
send username cbauto (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/member.php?39707-cbauto) a message, he's always available for jobs like these.

AAA+++ work, would get car fixed by him again. 10/10

anthropoidape
08-10-2015, 03:00 PM
send username cbauto (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/member.php?39707-cbauto) a message, he's always available for jobs like these.

AAA+++ work, would get car fixed by him again. 10/10

Why do I get the feeling you are messing with me.

lolmclol
08-10-2015, 03:06 PM
Why do I get the feeling you are messing with me.

I don't know why you would be getting that feeling. But in my experience when cbauto came and repaired a problem that I was having on my car, he was extremely professional, and the price I was charged was in-line with what I was quoted from a local workshop.

I apologise if you felt there was any dishonesty in my previous reply.

anthropoidape
08-10-2015, 03:28 PM
I don't know why you would be getting that feeling. But in my experience when cbauto came and repaired a problem that I was having on my car, he was extremely professional, and the price I was charged was in-line with what I was quoted from a local workshop.

I apologise if you felt there was any dishonesty in my previous reply.

Ah! Sorry, I was suspicious because I am new here and thought I might be getting toyed with, and because cbauto seems to be in WA whereas I am in Vic.

Thanks for the reply!

Jasemas
08-10-2015, 09:25 PM
Honda fuel pumps rarely die
If they do it was most likely running low on petrol too much
Youre= biggest culprit is more than liekly your main relay

Jasemas
08-10-2015, 09:26 PM
Hi all,

My 1994 Accord stranded me today with a failed fuel pump - parked it, and it simply cranked without firing. I had previously been hearing a whine from the back of the car for a few days (even without the kids in the back seat) so I thought the fuel pump was the likely problem. This was (I think) confirmed when the RACV guy came and gave the fuel tank a couple of whacks from underneath with a mallet while I turned the key. It started straight away, but on arrival at home... the fuel pump is now out of commission.

The question is this - as far as I can tell, the fuel tank needs to be lowered to get the pump out. Before I do this, I want to double check whether the pump is accessible if you remove the base of the rear seat. I would rather do the job from above than from below if it is possible.

This is, to be totally honest, a bit of a throw-away car that I am reluctant to do much work on at all, but I would like to have it running a bit longer if I can so I will have to press on and fix it before I can dump it. I have to admit that other than this it has been very reliable despite not really getting looked after.

Any help appreciated.

Jason

You will have to remove the tank

Dxs
08-10-2015, 09:39 PM
Download a copy of the workshop manual from here:
http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Accord/

Ab0VE Honda Accord CD7 CD9 Service Manual zip

(http://downloads.hondatech.info/Auto/Manuals/Accord/Ab0VE.Honda%20Accord%20CD7_CD9%20Service%20Manual. zip)A 94-97 Accord is a CD Accord. Seems fuel tank needs to be dropped, but really it isnt that hard.

http://www.jollysupullit.com.au/ Has heaps of CD accords. Get a pump from one of them.

anthropoidape
09-10-2015, 06:42 AM
Thanks very much guys. I will get into the job this weekend.

anthropoidape
10-10-2015, 05:05 PM
Done... thanks. Frankly I didn't enjoy it much :)

Fortunately it was indeed the fuel pump so all is well now. I had a few hiccups, in fact ot was uncanny how uncooperative it wanted to be.

Cheers

Dxs
30-10-2015, 05:00 PM
Done... thanks. Frankly I didn't enjoy it much :)

Fortunately it was indeed the fuel pump so all is well now. I had a few hiccups, in fact ot was uncanny how uncooperative it wanted to be.

Cheers

good job dude