PDA

View Full Version : Euro oem air filter

yfin
17-04-2005, 03:43 PM
Hey guys - I opened up my air box today to look at the air filter - car has done 22,600kms.

To my complete surprise - cartridge was full of heaps of dirt and rubbish - flies, small leaves and some black oil or tar like substance. Tried to clean it best I can - the black crap is still on part of the filter.

Anyway - the moral of the story is clean your air filter from time to time. I don't know if Honda dealers do it at your servicing - I think they just replace the filter at scheduled 40,000km service.

Any other ideas of cleaning the filter - or should I just replace?

euro77
17-04-2005, 03:49 PM
replace with K&N :D
They are easy to clean and re-use as long as you buy the cleaning & oiling kit. I already have them from my previous civic, just need to buy the filter for the euro...

yfin
17-04-2005, 03:50 PM
How much is the OEM and how much is the K&N?

This, I can see - will turn out to be the biggest excuse to get an Icebox ever.

euro77
17-04-2005, 03:51 PM
don't know about OEM, but for K&N it's around 135-150

yfin
17-04-2005, 04:02 PM
Euro77 - are you sure about that price? I have just looked around the internet - this place sells them for $39US. I emailed them as to shipping cost. Another place on ebay has it for $32 - again not sure of shipping.

Peekay - do you know if the K&N filter will fit inside the Icebox?

http://www.carshopinc.com/

euro77
17-04-2005, 04:09 PM
heh? do they have this on special?
It's just the price range that I've been quoted so far.
I don't see the one for Euro though on that website. The part number should be 33-2276

yfin
17-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Nah - I have only just searched myself - yep that is the part number. Also found a few places on ebay - http://www.carshopinc.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=33-2276&x=11&y=7

example ebay place

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7968160593&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

I will get back to you about shipping - is not a heavy item so shouldn't be too bad. I will be happy if I can get it for that price - don't like the look of the tar like substance on my filter.

euro77
17-04-2005, 04:14 PM
whoops.. found it :D
hmm.. yeah, that's cheap... let me know what the shipping price is, maybe I'll buy it as well through them.

yfin
17-04-2005, 04:19 PM
It is - of course in US$. But still that is a lot cheaper than your quoted price.

euro77
17-04-2005, 04:22 PM
yeap. shipping is $7.50 according to their website.

aaronng
17-04-2005, 04:33 PM
If you're buying the K&N filter from carshopinc. please let me know. I would also want to buy one (and the cleaning kit)

yfin
17-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Just an update on this - if you haven't cleaned your air filter yet and have done similar kms to me- clean the filter! I am almost certain that my dealer never cleaned the filter in the servicing.

Just got back from a drive - much better! Woo hoo! :D Can feel the difference above 5000rpm.

EuroAccord13
17-04-2005, 06:22 PM
It's just like having your nose unblocked by some menthol spray and you just suddenly breathe alot better and run faster!

yfin
17-04-2005, 06:26 PM
It's just like having your nose unblocked by some menthol spray and you just suddenly breathe alot better and run faster!

Yeah - but what do I pay these dealers for? I am certain they haven't cleaned it in 3 services. I don't know this for sure but it was mega dirty and the book only shows the filter as an item at 40,000kms. :(

euro77
17-04-2005, 06:40 PM
I've had a look at mine when I installed the buddy club racing spec condenser about 2 weeks ago, it's quite clean apart from some leaves and bug. I think my dealer did clean the air filter and it is mentioned in the service details.

yfin
17-04-2005, 07:04 PM
If you're buying the K&N filter from carshopinc. please let me know. I would also want to buy one (and the cleaning kit)

Probably will get it from there - depends on shipping cost of other places. I too want the cleaning kit but just realised "ground shipping only" for the cleaning kit presumably due to the oil. Looks like we will have to get the cleaning kit in AUstralia - for more money.

aaronng
17-04-2005, 11:34 PM
Was that the aerosol or squeeze bottle type oil? Going to AutoOne tomorrow to ask for a price.

PNR888
18-04-2005, 12:06 AM
I will check my filter tomorrow, as mine is already 31800km. apart from the things u have described, I hope I dont see any other substance stuck on it. eg, dead rat, dead toad.

K&N air filters' prices differ from model to model. but in Australia, you are expected to pay more than $100 for sure. The one that used to fit in my 1997 Camry v6 cost about $110 (from memory).

yfin
18-04-2005, 07:04 AM
Was that the aerosol or squeeze bottle type oil? Going to AutoOne tomorrow to ask for a price.

They have both types - and they both say ground shipping only

PNR888 - I think you are right about the over $100. I found an old post for someone with a Euro who paid $120 for the K&N. So getting it from the USA sounds like the way to go - it is effectively half price including shipping costs. We are being fleeced in Aust - fleeced!

*** Update- Honda OEM filter $48AUD from my dealer. Note - Acura of Escondido sell them for only $17US. K&N still seems like the best buy from the USA

aaronng
18-04-2005, 11:19 AM
Just passed AutoBarn. AU$139!!!! We can get the filter from US, and get the cleaning/oilling kit locally here. Even if it is triple the price, it should stay under $50 for the kit.

Peekay34
18-04-2005, 01:32 PM
Don't buy the K&N... ITG is much better trust me I have tried both on my previous car and the ITG wins by a long way..

yfin
18-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Don't buy the K&N... ITG is much better trust me I have tried both on my previous car and the ITG wins by a long way..

Peekay - I totally believe you. I just can't justify in my mind the extra $100 for the ITG. If I saw a dyno suggesting the difference was 5kw between filters - maybe - but I am sure the difference will only be a few hp. Value has to be part of the equation - and for $60 delivered the K&N is good value. If I wanted absolute performance in every respect I wouldn't even be looking at panel filters - I would go Injen or Typhoon.

Pum[Z]
18-04-2005, 02:54 PM
Looks like the best option is to get ur K&N panel from the good ol U S of A...

I used to have a K&N panel airfilter on my old car, & it sure is easy to clean. Get accustomed to cleaning it once every 6-12 months...

The Cleaning kit only costs AUS $20-30... Its not that expensive..

qmjona
18-04-2005, 07:24 PM
This is interesting, I have also noticed the crap (including tar like stuff) on my filter, but I have modified the intake to catch air direct from the spot light hole in thefront bumper, and I was putting the crap down to that. Actually because of this I was thinking of replacing the resonator etc. but if you are seeing the same with the oem set up I'll leave it as is and just get the cleanable K&N.

Did you end up confirming part numbers, and shipping etc? if you did could you confirm. That carshop link describes a 4.2 accord ! (that would be nice) its probably just a typo, but want to be sure. If its definatley the right part at that price I'll get one too.

Peekay34
18-04-2005, 09:08 PM
Peekay - I totally believe you. I just can't justify in my mind the extra $100 for the ITG. If I saw a dyno suggesting the difference was 5kw between filters - maybe - but I am sure the difference will only be a few hp. Value has to be part of the equation - and for $60 delivered the K&N is good value. If I wanted absolute performance in every respect I wouldn't even be looking at panel filters - I would go Injen or Typhoon.

Thats cool mate your choice I have the Icebox and went that way because of this. If I was only looking at a panel filter that is the way I would go despite the cost cause I know it is worth it after experincing both filters.

yfin
19-04-2005, 07:14 AM
Struck a problem gents - Carshop just emailed me a quote for $42US shipping - that is for one filter! Yes - that is more than the product cost. Still waiting on reply from Ebay sellers.

Not sure how they got to that number (their website says $7.50 to Aust) - I was quoted $33 for the Icebox shipped from Acura of Escondido which is a much larger item. Maybe Carshop aren't the best place to buy it afterall.

If I can't get the K&N for a decent price I may as well just get the Icebox and use the filter that comes with that.

aaronng
19-04-2005, 08:23 AM
That's one crazy shipping price. How does the icebox work? From what I see on their website, you just remove your resonator, and replace your filter box with theirs. Wouldn't the power gains come from the removal of the resonator and the filter panel instead of the box?

yfin
19-04-2005, 05:44 PM
That's one crazy shipping price. How does the icebox work? From what I see on their website, you just remove your resonator, and replace your filter box with theirs. Wouldn't the power gains come from the removal of the resonator and the filter panel instead of the box?

The box is bigger so it holds more air volume - also has an air horn down to the fog light cover to draw in cool air. At least some of the gains are from the removal of the resonator. Not all.

PNR888
20-04-2005, 12:47 PM
Just checked my OEM air filter last night.... geeeee, lots of leaves got stuck in it, also lots of black powder. Gave it a good clean out with brush and tooth picks.
When I drove the car this morning, could't really tell the difference in performance, but psychologically, I feel better. At least I know my car is not breathing through those rubbish.

Slugoid
20-04-2005, 05:12 PM
I have the K&N panel filter. It's a good replacement for the OEM cos you can wash it. I got a year ago for $165 plus the cleaning kit, which I still haven't used. If you can get it for under $100 AUD delivered then it would be alright. Else, I would look into that ice box thing or a pod filter.

Anyone tried removing the resonator and using the OEM air box? Always wanted to try this but seems like a pain to get it out.

qmjona
20-04-2005, 06:35 PM
Anyone tried removing the resonator and using the OEM air box? Always wanted to try this but seems like a pain to get it out.

I've done this, it is pretty easy, although it sounds a bit drastic, it is actually very easy to take the front bumper off (just a few bolts and several clips) then there is plenty of acccess to remove the resonator. Should be 30-45 min job first time.

euro77
20-04-2005, 11:41 PM
I got the fog light, how do I draw cold air from underneath then?

EuroAccord13
20-04-2005, 11:54 PM
I got the fog light, how do I draw cold air from underneath then?

You don't, All the CAI for the Euros in the market were designed to prevent taking in hot engine bay air by routing it to the cavity behind the fog lights, which already is in an area where the air is cooler, if you want to really ram some cold air in, take a look around the front bumper for suitable access and then use flexi insulation tubing to route it to your filter, I doubt it'll help much though...

CHEERS

BTW Yfin, what's the deal with the K&N order now :)

yfin
21-04-2005, 07:27 AM
BTW Yfin, what's the deal with the K&N order now :)

Ebay sellers are not responding re K&N shipping and Carshop want to screw us on shipping - so going Icebox from Escondido and may upgrade to a different filter later.

baboo
21-04-2005, 08:25 AM
I have the K&N panel filter. It's a good replacement for the OEM cos you can wash it. I got a year ago for $165 plus the cleaning kit, which I still haven't used. If you can get it for under $100 AUD delivered then it would be alright. Else, I would look into that ice box thing or a pod filter.

Yeah, I have done this.

Use K&N panel filter in the OEM box & took the resonator out and stuck a pipe towards the fog light area. I have not notices any improvements.

INGEN CAI kit is by far the best from performance point of view.

yfin
21-04-2005, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I have done this.

Use K&N panel filter in the OEM box & took the resonator out and stuck a pipe towards the fog light area. I have not notices any improvements.

You may notice more of a difference on a hot day - especially with your pipe extending to the fog area. Well - at least I hope I notice a difference with the icebox which is effectively the same thing but a bigger volume box.