PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Bits Inside Your Euro..

Pages : [1] 2 3

EuroAccord13
17-04-2005, 05:38 PM
This is in reference to Euro77's discovery of CD case holders in the CD compartment..

What other bits have you guys found out?

Here's a few bits of information collected from everyone....

1. Center Console armrest pulls out
2. Namecards and Pen Holders on the underside of the center console cover
3. Lights in the glove compartment doesn't go off when it's closed (Only when park/driving lights are on)
4. Wipers are speed sensitive, while stationary, releasing brakes will enable wiper to swipe
5. Euro doesn't have rubber moulding around rear windscreen
6. Hidden Diagnostics ( http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17777)
7. CD compartments have slots to hold CDs!!!!

Please feel free to cut and add then paste your info!!

CHEERS
Nick

stephen8512
17-04-2005, 06:05 PM
stephen8512 :), hope you don't mind me compressing your information for easy reading :)

3. Lights in the glove compartment doesn't go off when it's closed (Only when park/driving lights are on)
4. Wipers are speed sensitive, while stationary, releasing brakes will enable wiper to swipe
8. Button in the boot for manual opening (That is why there is no keyhole in the boot), three ways to open boot, Remote Key, Driver Side Latch and Boot button between license plate lights

evolution42
17-04-2005, 07:13 PM
8. Button in the boot for manual opening (That is why there is no keyhole in the boot), three ways to open boot, Remote Key, Driver Side Latch and Boot button between license plate lights
9. The divider in the front cupholder can be folded back into the lid itself, so it can be used as a larger compartment (ie. without a divider in the middle) when you're not carrying drinks

yfin
17-04-2005, 07:18 PM
Here is one you may not have thought of!!

There are two very handy hooks in the boot which I use to tie down a box where I store tools and handy things. Stops things flying around in your boot. :D

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/508/620DSC01455.jpg

euro77
17-04-2005, 07:19 PM
isn't that supposed to be for cargo net? of course you can still use it like yfin :D

yfin
17-04-2005, 07:21 PM
isn't that supposed to be for cargo net? of course you can still use it like yfin :D

Probably - but my option is way better!

KL1368
17-04-2005, 07:26 PM
lolz... any of you guys bother reading the manual?!

yfin - there are another two hooks at the rear-end of the boot!! :)

euro77
17-04-2005, 07:29 PM
lolz... any of you guys bother reading the manual?!

I opened mine, read the few first pages, then close it... can't be bother reading that THICK manual :p

does anyone know how to lock the boot so eventhough the door lock is opened, you still can't open the boot using the remote or the button on the boot? I know I can lock the boot release switch.
reason I ask is because at motorshow, I can open the door to this euro luxury, but when I try to open the boot, it's locked! :confused:

yfin
17-04-2005, 07:31 PM
I opened mine, read the few first pages, then close it... can't be bother reading that THICK manual :p

does anyone know how to lock the boot so eventhough the door lock is opened, you still can't open the boot using the remote or the button on the boot? I know I can lock the boot release switch.
reason I ask is because at motorshow, I can open the door to this euro luxury, but when I try to open the boot, it's locked! :confused:

There is a switch in the boot that deactivates the electronic boot release button. Insert your key in the floor to deactivate boot release near driver.

euro77
17-04-2005, 07:33 PM
There is a switch in the boot that deactivates the electronic boot release button. Insert your key in the floor to deactivate boot release near driver.

I know about the second one, but not the first one. where is this switch exactly?

yfin
17-04-2005, 07:34 PM
I know about the second one, but not the first one. where is this switch exactly?

Open the boot - look for a switch near the centre stop light

euro77
17-04-2005, 07:57 PM
there's actually only one slot (or divider), the left side can hold 6 slim cd case or 4 standard cd case.

Pup
17-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Oh you guys prolly already know but the remote down of the windows
You unlock the car and then press the unlock button and hold and all the windows go down untill you release the lock button

To put them back up you put the key in the driver side luck click once to lock and then again and hold to put the windows back up!

PNR888
17-04-2005, 11:51 PM
special? the boot button come out on bmws/mercs about 10+ years ago...

usually with older European cars, when there is a external boot opening switch, AND there is a key hole on the boot lid (or near it), but NO lever near driver's seat. So usually the only way to open the boot is through that external button if the boot is not locked. If it is locked, then u need to unlocked it with the car key. (a bit inconvenient if the ignition is on).

While Japanese cars usually come with lever swith beside door seal of the driver's seat. AND a key hole near the boot lid, but No external button. so to open the boot, u need to insert the key in to that key hole and turn it. Or use the lever beside driver's door.

Of course above two cases applied to those cars BEFORE remote control keys are available.

PNR888
17-04-2005, 11:59 PM
Oh you guys prolly already know but the remote down of the windows
You unlock the car and then press the unlock button and hold and all the windows go down untill you release the lock button

To put them back up you put the key in the driver side luck click once to lock and then again and hold to put the windows back up!

Thanks Pup, I only realise this feature today. :thumbdwn: maybe I should study the users mamual again. :(

so you can't use the remove to wind the window up after lock the doors. Must insert the key into driver's side door handle, right?

EuroAccord13
18-04-2005, 11:36 PM
This is in reference to Euro77's discovery of CD case holders in the CD compartment..

What other bits have you guys found out?

7. CD compartments have slots to hold CDs!!!! (Update: The slot (1) is located on the back of the compartment wall on the left side)
8. Yoram's TradeMark Boot tie down box idea!

http://www.ozhonda.com/gallery/data/508/620DSC01455.jpg

baboo
19-04-2005, 08:58 AM
it chimes if you don't put the seatbelts on within 45 seconds after starting your engine.

aaronng
19-04-2005, 10:18 AM
It chimes if you drive with your hand brake on.

PNR888
19-04-2005, 10:48 AM
it chimes if you don't put the seatbelts on within 45 seconds after starting your engine.
Do you have to be on driver's seat for it to work? and you mean after you start the engine or after the car is moving? :confused:

baboo
19-04-2005, 10:57 AM
After engine starts...& have to be on the seat.

aaronng
19-04-2005, 11:49 AM
Do you have to be on driver's seat for it to work? and you mean after you start the engine or after the car is moving? :confused:
After the car moves. I haven't tried driving while not being in the drivers seat... Anyone dare to test this out? I reckon is it just detects the car is moving, no seat sensor.

PNR888
19-04-2005, 11:59 AM
After the car moves. I haven't tried driving while not being in the drivers seat... Anyone dare to test this out? I reckon is it just detects the car is moving, no seat sensor.

I guess if any driving school use Euro for teaching purpose, then there will be another set of pedals on passenger's side. Then u can almost make it a Left hand drive car and try the trick.. (ie. no one on driver's seat while car is moving:D )... :!: Sorry mate, dont get offended , hit me if u want, I just want to be a little smart arse here for you guys to laugh about :p .

VirIIx
19-04-2005, 01:29 PM
glancing over the stuff.. i don't think i saw this mentioned.

if the euro is locked, and you unlock the car, if doors haven't been opened, the car will lock itself again after half a minute or so..

but the best one i found was, if you unlock the car and just open the boot and close it, the car will lock itself automatically.

correct me if im wrong please :)

aaronng
19-04-2005, 02:10 PM
I guess if any driving school use Euro for teaching purpose, then there will be another set of pedals on passenger's side. Then u can almost make it a Left hand drive car and try the trick.. (ie. no one on driver's seat while car is moving:D )... :!: Sorry mate, dont get offended , hit me if u want, I just want to be a little smart arse here for you guys to laugh about :p .
You'll need an accelerator too! :D

evolution42
19-04-2005, 02:47 PM
this might not mean anything to some of you out here but the air-recirculation selection stays on the previous setting regardless whether you turn off/on climate control, or turn off/on the engine.

i know some people might not recommend it, but i 'always' drive with recirculation on- i can't stand the slightest whiff of diesel exhaust. in many other cars with climate control, it defaults to outside air every time you turn on the climate control, and this is particularly annoying in sydney with all the traffic on the roads.

oh, and
-the electric windows still remain active for 45? seconds after u turn off the engine...
-the volume of the stereo fades in when you switch it on
-there is a grab handle for the driver (unusual for a japanese car)

aaronng
19-04-2005, 04:14 PM
In auto mode for the a/c, once the set temperature has been reached, the a/c opens the outside air intake. But if you notice this and set it to recirculate, it stays at recirculate.

stephen8512
19-04-2005, 06:39 PM
when u put the A/C mode to make the air come out of both the vents and to ur feet, the rear passengers will also feel the effect of the a/c comin from the bottom vents

KL1368
19-04-2005, 06:43 PM
my two cents worth:
front demister sends the vents crazy when u turn it on... works a gem! :thumbsup: (i think it turns on the A/C aswell..)

EuroAccord13
19-04-2005, 08:39 PM

if the euro is locked, and you unlock the car, if doors haven't been opened, the car will lock itself again after half a minute or so..

but the best one i found was, if you unlock the car and just open the boot and close it, the car will lock itself automatically.

No you are Spot On.. The Euro will lock itself after 30 seconds or so...

VirIIx
20-04-2005, 06:49 AM
oh, and
-the electric windows still remain active for 45? seconds after u turn off the engine...

i've only ever gotten this to work accidentally the odd few times. I might have to try it later but, is it only when you switch off and leave the keys still inside the ignition?

zco
20-04-2005, 07:31 AM
honda should hold a day that all euro owners should go to and honda will explain all the neat little tricks that they have in this amazing car. they do this for BMW 7 series. the course goes for two days, and owners of the 7series bmw's go and learn all the unique functions that there $250,000+ car gets them..

EUR.09N
20-04-2005, 08:29 AM
i've only ever gotten this to work accidentally the odd few times. I might have to try it later but, is it only when you switch off and leave the keys still inside the ignition?

the doors must remain closed, once you open them it cancels this feature

stephen8512
20-04-2005, 09:50 AM
also a neat feature.....
when u unlock ur doors, the speedo/tacho and all the dash gauges turn on...and when u insert the keys, it goes brighter.....
conversly, when u stop the car and take the key out, the tacho/speedo light fades away, which i think is pretty cool.

aaronng
20-04-2005, 10:45 AM
The BEST of all tricks is that if you leave any of your lights on (headlights, map lights, door lights) and lock your car, they automatically turn off after a certain period of time, therefore not leaving you with a dead battery in the morning!

EuroAccord13
20-04-2005, 11:00 AM

7. CD compartments have slots to hold CDs!!!! (Update: The slot (1) is located on the back of the compartment wall on the left side)
8. Yoram's TradeMark Boot tie down box idea!
9. Power Windows still operate for one minute after engine is turned off or when door is opened, whichever is earlier.
10.If you leave any of your lights on (headlights, map lights, door lights) and lock your car, they automatically turn off after a certain period of time, therefore not leaving you with a dead battery in the morning! (If the Door is open for too long, the courtesy light will go off too....)

kanthan
20-04-2005, 12:04 PM
The BEST of all tricks is that if you leave any of your lights on (headlights, map lights, door lights) and lock your car, they automatically turn off after a certain period of time, therefore not leaving you with a dead battery in the morning!

are u sure about that? i have nearly drained my battery leaving the map light on over night.

PNR888
20-04-2005, 12:17 PM

I tried it last night, No seatbelt, drive very slowly for over 1 minutes (done in private property). ( hope there is no cop watching this post) there is no warning chimes.. Dont know what happened? Everyone else's Euro have this feature?

stephen8512
20-04-2005, 12:34 PM
as soon as u turn the ignition key and if u dont have the ur seatbelts on it will chime "ding" 6 or 7 times.
after that, if u still drive without it, it will chime again, but thats only if ur drivin at regular speed above 25-30km hour i think....

stephen8512
20-04-2005, 12:36 PM
are u sure about that? i have nearly drained my battery leaving the map light on over night.

same. i manually turned the maplight on in my euro overnight and it didnt turn off. luckily it didnt drain the battery. i think he was referring to just the courtesy lights u get when u lock the doors. those fade away after about 30 seconds after locking, but if u manually turn the lights on and lock the car, those lights do not go away until u manually turn it off again

aaronng
20-04-2005, 12:56 PM
I was referring to the map lights... Did you lock your car?
I had left mine on and forgot about it. When I got into the car the next day, the light came back on.

Lowenhart
21-04-2005, 02:41 AM
I tried it last night, No seatbelt, drive very slowly for over 1 minutes (done in private property). ( hope there is no cop watching this post) there is no warning chimes.. Dont know what happened? Everyone else's Euro have this feature?

Did you open the drivers door first? If not then give that a go...

jl88rl
21-04-2005, 04:57 PM

The car chimes every minute that you drive without a seat-belt on. I'm surprised; i usually take off my seatbelt when at the car park at the city; also when im parking.

I thought it chimes when u go past a certain speed, but its not.. just every 60seconds or so!

:D

Euro2005
21-04-2005, 05:08 PM
this might not mean anything to some of you out here but the air-recirculation selection stays on the previous setting regardless whether you turn off/on climate control, or turn off/on the engine.

i know some people might not recommend it, but i 'always' drive with recirculation on- i can't stand the slightest whiff of diesel exhaust. in many other cars with climate control, it defaults to outside air every time you turn on the climate control, and this is particularly annoying in sydney with all the traffic on the roads.

oh, and
-the volume of the stereo fades in when you switch it on
-there is a grab handle for the driver (unusual for a japanese car)

Don't leave the recirculation on for long drives , you will run out of oxygen and fall asleep. Also leaving it on builds up smells , good and bad , in the filters.

Reagan
21-04-2005, 06:05 PM
Where is this cd holder?
I cannot find it!

bogan
21-04-2005, 06:44 PM
Gotta love the nifty little things, but does anyone know how to turn off the boot light?? I wanted to air out my boot one nyte by leaving it open but couldn't figure out how to turn off the boot light so didn't bother airing it out (for fear of battery drainage)!

evolution42
21-04-2005, 07:25 PM
Don't leave the recirculation on for long drives , you will run out of oxygen and fall asleep. Also leaving it on builds up smells , good and bad , in the filters.

i only leave it on when im around the city (which is like 95% of the time/my drives are quite short on average). but i were cruising on a relatively clear highway, i'd let the fresh air come through

Pup
21-04-2005, 08:43 PM

For someone who does long trips
2+ hours weekly
and occasionally longer
I have to disagree
I went queensland 12 hour straight drive stopping only occasionally to have a brake there was no signs of oxygen deprivation.

heheeh

had no way of testing my claim just never had any bad experiance!

PNR888
21-04-2005, 09:48 PM

I agree with Euro 2005. I do fair bit of highway/country driving every week. It does make me sleepy if I left A/C in re-circulation mode.
I also noted if I left the climate control temperature too high, u feel more sleepy too. maybe just me, getting old.

But I guess in City, where the scene and traffic condition change rapidly, it will be difficult to fall into asleep when in bumper to bumper traffic.

PNR888
21-04-2005, 09:58 PM
as soon as u turn the ignition key and if u dont have the ur seatbelts on it will chime "ding" 6 or 7 times.
after that, if u still drive without it, it will chime again, but thats only if ur drivin at regular speed above 25-30km hour i think....

I just tried me euro, Start the engine, sat on driver's seat, no seatbelt. still no chime. The only time it chime is when u leave me headlights on, turn off engine and open the drivers door.
But no matter what I do with seatbelt. it just doesnt chime. :confused:

Mine is 2003 model, any other 2003 model owner can tell us what's yours euro like?

yfin
21-04-2005, 10:00 PM
I just tried me euro, Start the engine, sat on driver's seat, no seatbelt. still no chime. The only time it chime is when u leave me headlights on, turn off engine and open the drivers door.
But no matter what I do with seatbelt. it just doesnt chime. :confused:

Mine is 2003 model, any other 2003 model owner can tell us what's yours euro like?

If you drive without the seatbelt on (which I don't recommend) - you will hear the chime after a minute or so.

aaronng
21-04-2005, 10:47 PM
On mine, it chimes as soon as I start the engine, and the seatbelt light is on too. The chime stops after a few seconds. If I drive off,, it chimes a few second later. I'll go test the exact timings now... hehe. Testing in the driveway, so no illegal actions Mr. Policeman. :)

Edit: Chime beeps 6 times as soon as I turn the key to acc. After that it stops. Chime comes back on after 60 seconds of the car moving.

coladuna
22-04-2005, 07:00 PM
For someone who does long trips
2+ hours weekly
and occasionally longer
I have to disagree
I went queensland 12 hour straight drive stopping only occasionally to have a brake there was no signs of oxygen deprivation.

It's not something that's debatable.
It's a scientific fact that the oxygen level will drop significantly if you recirculate the air.
Obviously, it'll take a very long time for you to suffocate.

I found a little feature (pretty useless) which I only just noticed. Probably because I never touch that button anyway.
If you disable power window switches for all passengers, the lights on their switches will turn off.

nEUROtic
22-04-2005, 07:54 PM
Gotta love the nifty little things, but does anyone know how to turn off the boot light?? I wanted to air out my boot one nyte by leaving it open but couldn't figure out how to turn off the boot light so didn't bother airing it out (for fear of battery drainage)!

Serves you right for stashing the dead bodies in there.....

PNR888
22-04-2005, 09:35 PM

just use a hard and thin object to push the boot lock at lower edge of boot lid to closed position. the boot light will be off. and u can leave the boot open as wide as possible.

When you are done, Make sure you remember to push the boot open/release button to release/unlock the boot lock, otherwise you will damage the boot lock and anchor bar. I always put a big piece of paper near anchor point, so it can remind me to unlock the boot lock before I shut the boot.

see left for my avater for what I said above.

bogan
24-04-2005, 11:07 AM
see left for my avater for what I said above.

Sweet, thanks dood!

nEUROtic - I've learnt my lesson now!! Hehe.. ;)

kanthan
07-07-2005, 06:17 PM
sorry for bring up this all tread but i discovered something on the weekend, and i am not sure how many people know this. The interior dash & audio light has a brightness controller. Here i am, for more than 6months cursing honda for omitting it....and it was in front of me all the time. Its the little stick on the dash itself...the one used to reset the milage counter. Instead of pushing, turn it.

makes a big difference when driving in low light with the headlights on.

Another thing, a rolling start works on the euro as well. got a flat battery and had no jumper leads. needed a push to get going.

EuroAccord13
07-07-2005, 06:32 PM
sorry for bring up this all tread but i discovered something on the weekend, and i am not sure how many people know this. The interior dash & audio light has a brightness controller. Here i am, for more than 6months cursing honda for omitting it....and it was in front of me all the time. Its the little stick on the dash itself...the one used to reset the milage counter. Instead of pushing, turn it.

Nah it's cool! I like it when people ACTUALLY SEARCH rather than post a new thread... Well Done!

Yes, it's rather standard among cars nowadays that the reset button acts as a dimmer switch for the console lights...

Another thing, a rolling start works on the euro as well. got a flat battery and had no jumper leads. needed a push to get going.

If the battery is not all that "Dead" but still salvagable, any manual cars can be roll started by engaging it in gear.... :)

euro77
07-07-2005, 06:35 PM

On top of this (if you haven't know), you know how the dash light dims when you turn on the headlight. well, you can make it stays as bright as when you are not turning on the headlight, by turning that little knob until it clicks (to the right I think). Once it's clicked, you can turn on your headlights and the dash is still bright as day.

kanthan
07-07-2005, 06:54 PM
yep worked that one out too.

Usual Suspect
07-07-2005, 07:13 PM
Brightness control should be on most cars, all hondas have it im pretty sure.

Slugoid
07-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Something very minor. The rubber things which guard the bonnet when it is closed (near the headlights) are height adjustable. So on the off chance that your bonnet cover is not closing up perfectly, you can adjust the rubber things.

Aratahu
07-07-2005, 10:29 PM
I got this wonderful thing with the car, guess what it was? Hint: One of the first things I did was to RTFM :)

kam
07-07-2005, 11:34 PM
[QUOTE=kanthan]sorry for bring up this all tread but i discovered something on the weekend, and i am not sure how many people know this. The interior dash & audio light has a brightness controller. Here i am, for more than 6months cursing honda for omitting it....and it was in front of me all the time. Its the little stick on the dash itself...the one used to reset the milage counter. Instead of pushing, turn it.

QUOTE]

hey cool thanks! i allways wondered wtf that little nobby thing did! i kinda poked, twirled it a few times, looked confused, then gave up :D

ps: i still dont get the cd holder part - its inside the big compartment on the walls ?

EuroAccord13
08-07-2005, 12:05 AM
Something very minor. The rubber things which guard the bonnet when it is closed (near the headlights) are height adjustable. So on the off chance that your bonnet cover is not closing up perfectly, you can adjust the rubber things.

That too, is standard among cars nowadays :)

Suntzu
08-07-2005, 12:16 PM
I read this thread but didnt see this so I'll contribute.

If you click the unlock button on the keyring and then release and press again/hold ALL of the windows wind down automatically. Try it! Its cool. Great for a hot day.

To wind them up, put your key in the door, rotate once right , release and rotate right again and hold. They will wind up!!! From the USA forum.

Ill go look for my cd holder now!

EuroAccord13
28-08-2005, 11:57 PM
Another Bit to dig up this old post :D...

My friend just showed me that you can lock the release button on the boot under the Honda Badge by flicking a switch located on the right of the interior boot light....

EuroDude
10-04-2006, 10:01 PM
lol again digging up an old post.

Just noticed that the engine temp dial on the cluster increases/jumps in steps rather than gradually (when the engine is warming up). So obviously its a Digital thermal reading from the ECU.

PNR888
10-04-2006, 11:20 PM

Just noticed that the engine temp dial on the cluster increases/jumps in steps rather than gradually (when the engine is warming up). So obviously its a Digital thermal reading from the ECU.

that's interesting. never take notice of that.. I will check mine tomorrow

EuroAccord13
11-04-2006, 01:34 AM

Yeah I noticed that too everytime I sit in the car waiting for it to warm up.. The needle moves up a little and drops a tad and then move up a little again and then drops a tad... :D

kam
11-04-2006, 11:17 AM
man, i still cant find that secrect cd holder compartment thingy...

EuroDude
11-04-2006, 11:23 AM
Huh what CD holder compartment? Where is it located, in the Dash somewhere or the center console? Is it a Luxury-only feature?

[edit] Ahh i get it, its that large push-open compartment in the center of the dash - there is a small plastic seperator at the top that holds four CD's to the left. Lol I didnt realise u could put CD's in there...
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showpost.php?p=260092&postcount=39

xiang
11-04-2006, 12:54 PM
in that seperator thing in the centre console, next to the pen holder there's these two slots, u can put like business cards in them. Atleast i think you can.

BiLL|z0r
11-04-2006, 01:51 PM
That pen and card holder is great. I never knew it was there and I been throwing my pens and cards in the center console and loosing them. The pen holder could be a bit wider/more flexible through to fit more pen sizes.

C[H]aMeLeoN
12-04-2006, 09:42 AM
There is an auxillary power outlet inside the centre console. I don't think i had one in the '03.

Also, was driving the other day, and my GF shifted right over to the side of the seat where the airbag is. My dash lit up and went nuts about it and disengaged the air bag.

when you lock the power windows, the lights on the switches turn off for passengers. :)

and, the dash light adjustment dims the hazard light switch...

kam
12-04-2006, 01:16 PM

not in the 03 model there isnt, haha, i hate the chime thingy anyways !

EuroDude
12-04-2006, 02:04 PM
not in the 03 model there isnt, haha, i hate the chime thingy anyways !

Yeah that seatbelt chime sh1tz me. I mean when you get in your car, you turn on the engine first to warm it up, then put the seatbelt on later when its warmed up and you are about to drive off... well thats what I do.

I noticed that if you remove your seetbelt while driving, it will chime at you, until the speed of the car goes below 10km/h or if the car is reversing.

Rendezvous
12-04-2006, 06:10 PM
Yeah that seatbelt chime sh1tz me. I mean when you get in your car, you turn on the engine first to warm it up, then put the seatbelt on later when its warmed up and you are about to drive off... well thats what I do.

I noticed that if you remove your seetbelt while driving, it will chime at you, until the speed of the car goes below 10km/h or if the car is reversing.

I have unplugged the seatbelt warning cable that is located under the drivers seat. It no longer has a warning sound nor indicator =P

EuroDude
12-04-2006, 06:38 PM
I have unplugged the seatbelt warning cable that is located under the drivers seat. It no longer has a warning sound nor indicator =P

lol good idea! I may try that.

The car probably thinks a ghost is driving lol. Which gets me thinking, unplugging it wouldnt affect the airbag deployment or anything would it?

Rendezvous
12-04-2006, 06:59 PM
lol good idea! I may try that.

The car probably thinks a ghost is driving lol. Which gets me thinking, unplugging it wouldnt affect the airbag deployment or anything would it?

There should be 2 cables under the drivers seat, one for the seatbelt warning and the other is for the side airbag. It shouldnt be 2 hard 2 figure out which one is for the seatbelt.

ECU-MAN
12-04-2006, 09:46 PM
it could affect the airbag and pretentioners on the seatbelt, not really a good Idea

anyway I have found

as you know you have 45 seconds to play with any of the windows after you turn off the ingnition,

if you open any of the front doors, you will cancel that feature
if you open any of the back doors you still have your 45 sec to play with the windows

also

as you know with the wipers on Intermitent, when you release the brake pedal you get one wipe,

same with the park brake.

Rendezvous
12-04-2006, 10:04 PM
there could be a chance that the seat belt tensioners could be affected, but there are two cables, i think one is for the seat belt warning and the other is for the either the side airbag or seat belt tensioner or both. I had an older car with seat belt warning but no side airbags/seat belt tensioners and i disabled the warning by unplugging the cable in the same way.

kam
13-04-2006, 12:48 AM
at least the Euro chime is 'smart'. In my bro's Mazda 3, things dumbass, even if your driving slow, in park or reverse, it still chimes at you. youd think they'd program it to stop chiming once you put it into park !

and then theres chime for lights left on and key in ignition. god its annoying driving the mazda, so many dam chimes !

corn_flakes
19-04-2006, 12:46 PM
new secret....i found this out ages ago but i forgot to post...

dunno about pre 2006 models since mine is an 06...

the euro has this horn alarm thingo....

if any locks are opened without the remote after u've locked the car....the alarm goes off (lights flash and the horn beeps)...

to try, put your window down so u can grab the lock on the door.....close all doors and lock ur car as normal....wait about 30secs, then yank up the lock on the door....the alarm goes off...

EuroAccord13
19-04-2006, 01:09 PM
new secret....i found this out ages ago but i forgot to post...

dunno about pre 2006 models since mine is an 06...

the euro has this horn alarm thingo....

if any locks are opened without the remote after u've locked the car....the alarm goes off (lights flash and the horn beeps)...

to try, put your window down so u can grab the lock on the door.....close all doors and lock ur car as normal....wait about 30secs, then yank up the lock on the door....the alarm goes off...

All Euros have that :)

My latest discovery is that if the car is on jacks and when you start the engine, the car won't stop buzzing you with the same seat belt warning chime!

xiang
19-04-2006, 09:01 PM
hahaha.. what the hell were you doing?

zuiko
20-04-2006, 11:25 AM
where on earth is the CD divider thing?

Its been asked three times and no-one answers ??

Please?

Seiken
20-04-2006, 11:44 AM
it has been answered, probably u've jsut skimmed read through the pages ;)

in the middle compartment just beneath ur stereo, if you open it up and look inside it, u'll see at the top a divider towards the left. it can fit about 4 cd cases to the left side of it or heaps more from the right. i don't use it to hold cd's though. I use it to hold a small square tissue box :D

ngupil
20-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Just found out last night
try to press the break a few times when the engine is off
the break will lock itself :)

aaronng
20-04-2006, 12:02 PM
The brake will lock itself!?

EuroDude
20-04-2006, 12:06 PM
where on earth is the CD divider thing?

Its been asked three times and no-one answers ??

Please?

lol dude we've answered 3 times already.

In RED is the CD Compartment. Open the CD Compartment Door, and in BLUE is the small black notch in the top of the compartment that seperates a few CD's.
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6245/cd4kn.jpg

EuroDude
20-04-2006, 12:07 PM

Yea? Does the brake physically lock (like a second handbrake)? Or just the pedal?

zuiko
20-04-2006, 12:31 PM
lol dude we've answered 3 times already.

In RED is the CD Compartment. Open the CD Compartment Door, and in BLUE is the small black notch in the top of the compartment that seperates a few CD's.
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/6245/cd4kn.jpg

LOL. Is that all it is? I thought this was something like a hidden panel or compartment I'd never seen yet!

I didn't know about the drink holder segment thing till I read this thread!!

I was going mad about this saying how stupid it was not to have it at the front! I was putting my drinks into the BACK SEAT middle section and reaching back for it on my morning drives!

Now I realise it was there all along but I had just never seen it or read the manual!!

zuiko
20-04-2006, 12:36 PM
The only major gripe I have about the Euro is the lack of a Valet key.

I really need this feature.

What I do is lock the boot release from inside- the lever can be locked, and I've turned off the switch allowing the button at the license plates to work.

I sometimes carry expensive audio equipment and someone at a set of lights could potentially open your boot up and steal things. SO that feature is OFF for me.

The lever is important to lock because when the car is parked someone could gain access to the boot otherwise; if they smash windows.

Otherwise the boot setup is good. Relatively secure compared to other cars where you can bring the rear seats down from the inside of the car etc. You can only release the rear seats from the boot which is an excellent design feature!

But a valet key... that would be the ultimate for this luxury machine :)

ngupil
20-04-2006, 12:36 PM
The pedal will be locked, ie. you cant press it anymore
the pedal will be unlocked when you turn on the engine
interesting find?? hehehe

aaronng
20-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Hmm, maybe they thought at the $35000-44000 price bracket, that the Euro didn't need a valet key...The Legend will have one though.

zuiko
20-04-2006, 01:08 PM
Hmm, maybe they thought at the $35000-44000 price bracket, that the Euro didn't need a valet key...The Legend will have one though.

Yeah but Legend = $$$

It's gonna have a tough time against the Lexus twins.

I wonder how much they'll bring it in at? $80-90 000 base model and $110-120 k for the top of the line?

aaronng
20-04-2006, 02:05 PM
I think $80-90k and there will only be one model with the full on leather and woodgrain (I need to read that Legend article again).

What Lexus twins? I hope you are not thinking of the IS250 and GS300. Firstly, the IS250 is too small to be compared as a Legend rival. Heck, it's even smaller than the Accord Euro. The GS300 on the other hand already costs $95,200 and the GS300 Lux seems too good to be true. An extra $17,000 just for 14 speaker audio (I can't find the difference between the 2 models, even the wheels are the same)?!?!?!?!?!

GS300's 183kW engine makes 61kW/litre using DOHC, direct injection and variable valve. Legend's 221kW engine makes 63kW/litre using SOHC VTEC only on the intake side! Give me the Legend.

I'm not pro-Honda. If it was between the IS250 and the Accord Euro, I would go for the IS250 if the rear seats could accomodate someone of my size (and heck I am thin!)

EuroAccord13
20-04-2006, 06:57 PM

It's not that the brakes are locked, it's just that the power assist to the brakes are shut off when the engine is off, you can try that on any car, it will become almost impossible to press after a few pumps on the pedal....

corn_flakes
20-04-2006, 06:59 PM
It's not that the brakes are locked, it's just that the power assist to the brakes are shut off when the engine is off, you can try that on any car, it will become almost impossible to press after a few pumps on the pedal....

ditto, was just gonna post that...

i've done it many times....like when i had to move my car along the driveway for like 1-2metres...and i couldn't be wanked starting the engine....

ngupil
20-04-2006, 07:21 PM
owwww ....
sorry for my noobness lol

xiang
20-04-2006, 11:19 PM
LOL. Is that all it is? I thought this was something like a hidden panel or compartment I'd never seen yet!

I didn't know about the drink holder segment thing till I read this thread!!

I was going mad about this saying how stupid it was not to have it at the front! I was putting my drinks into the BACK SEAT middle section and reaching back for it on my morning drives!

Now I realise it was there all along but I had just never seen it or read the manual!!

LOL @ putting drinks in back seat
HAHAHA!!
i had my dealership guy show me what everything did before i drove off, but seems he missed a few things.

Omotesando
21-04-2006, 12:35 AM
The next car I have, I really want to have one that checks the tyre pressures automatically!

THAT - is a big safety feature. Someone should write that to Honda :)

EuroDude
21-04-2006, 08:57 AM
Would you like a back massager and mini fridge built in as well? :D j/k

Yeah a tyre pressure reading would be very handy, but sounds a bit expensive to implement.

yfin
21-04-2006, 09:35 AM
You can get those wireless tyre pressure sensors off ebay if you really want that. They mount to the rim so you need to remount your tyres and balance but otherwise no big deal.

I can't vouch for this item or seller - just making the point that they are available for not much cash

link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TRUCK-RVS-WIRELESS-TIRE-WHEEL-PRESSURE-SENSOR-MONITOR_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33746QQitemZ805 7958959QQrdZ1)

Omotesando
21-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Sounds like a good alternative option. I think some of the Holden HSVs have the tyre pressure detector built in!

Hey... mini Fridge should be optional IMO :P

Just the assurance of warranty coverage for factory parts that's all. And perfect fitment.

Having said that the Euro Accord has a lot of features that other cars don't think about at all already.

EuroDude
21-04-2006, 08:51 PM
True, like side mirror indicators :)

Only some Mercs, some BMW's, Mazda 6, '06 Jazz, and current Liberty have them ;)

But I bet every car and its dog will have them in a few years...

Omotesando
21-04-2006, 09:04 PM
Speaking of side mirror indicators.

I 'think' I remember Merc Benz brought them out first, as they always do regarding safety features. And I remember anticipating when BMW will also have them... but it took them a few years, probably because they didn't want to be looked at as copy-cats of Mercs! But Liberty was the first Jap car I remember that copied the idea, and then there's the Euro Accord!

Sorry if the mod thinks its off topic a bit.

kam
21-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Interesting bits? the VSA button lol

allows for ' a more spirited drive' :D

corn_flakes
22-04-2006, 07:51 AM
Speaking of side mirror indicators.

I 'think' I remember Merc Benz brought them out first, as they always do regarding safety features. And I remember anticipating when BMW will also have them... but it took them a few years, probably because they didn't want to be looked at as copy-cats of Mercs! But Liberty was the first Jap car I remember that copied the idea, and then there's the Euro Accord!

Sorry if the mod thinks its off topic a bit.

safety??

hmm, the bad thing i find with the indicators on the mirrors is that sometimes if u indicate and there;s like another car on ur side, they can't see u indicating!!! they can only see u indicating if they aint in one of ur blind spots...

and i'm not talking in regards to like lane changing, of course everyone checks their blind spot when doing so...right? ;)

but what about those times when u're trying to merge when one of the lanes end and u wanna indicate to let the mofo next to u know?

or when u're on a 3 lane road, and u wanna change lanes into the middle lane, and so does another mofo in the 'other' outside lane?

just my 2 cents....

EuroDude
22-04-2006, 10:25 AM
I find it more effective than normal indicators - Ive noticed ppl let me in more often when merging since its brighter and in-your-face so to speak.

Omotesando
22-04-2006, 02:46 PM
safety??

hmm, the bad thing i find with the indicators on the mirrors is that sometimes if u indicate and there;s like another car on ur side, they can't see u indicating!!! they can only see u indicating if they aint in one of ur blind spots...

and i'm not talking in regards to like lane changing, of course everyone checks their blind spot when doing so...right? ;)

but what about those times when u're trying to merge when one of the lanes end and u wanna indicate to let the mofo next to u know?

or when u're on a 3 lane road, and u wanna change lanes into the middle lane, and so does another mofo in the 'other' outside lane?

just my 2 cents....

Yes it is a Safety feature.

Because you now have 6 indicators on your car instead of 4.

Honestly, I don't know why you say people can't see you on say a merge lane.

If they can't see you with 6 indicators, then there is much less chance of them seeing you when you drive any other cars with 4 indicators.

To me, it sounds like you didn't actually know there are 6 indicators on your car, but you thought the fronts were moved to the side mirrors? :o

euro77
22-04-2006, 05:03 PM

If they can't see you with 6 indicators, then there is much less chance of them seeing you when you drive any other cars with 4 indicators.

To me, it sounds like you didn't actually know there are 6 indicators on your car, but you thought the fronts were moved to the side mirrors? :o

I think he's right, if the other car already past your rear end, he won't really see the indicator because there is no indicator lamp on the side of the body. At night the other car should see the mirror indicator, but probably not in the daylight. But then of course, you can't expect him/her to give way to you since it's already past the rear of your car.

EuroDude
22-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Yeah thats true. Doesnt the Acura TSX have indicators in the corners, where our parking lights are?

corn_flakes
22-04-2006, 05:31 PM
*rolleyes*

i'm talking about how the euro has their indicators on the mirrors INSTEAD of on the fender area near the wheel arch like most normal cars.......i'm pretty sure almost all cars have 6 indicators on them!!!

and when i'm talking about changing lanes, etc, i'm not talking about at normal speeds.....obviously u won't be changing lanes when there's a car in ur blind spot.....i'm talking about those times when traffic is more slow (eg bumper to bumper), and alot of lane changing etc is needed....

Chris_F
22-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Omotesando, it is required by law for all cars to have 2 rear indicators, two front indicators and 2 side indicators.

as corn_flakes pointed out he was refering to the location change of the indicators to a regular car (no cars come with only 4 indicators).

The "side indicators" on the euro's mirrors are clearly biased toward facing foward and have little light emitted to the side. The problem is made worse from a rear quarter view in which a car in another lane can't see your rear indicator or your front indicator and has to rely on a small amber spec just visable on the mirror (where they may not even be looking). During the day reflections from the side-view mirror may also stop people from being able to see the side indicator.

Obviously it's ADR approved though.. and I've never really had any problems with people not seeing me indicate - but i guess it remains a slight possibility.

back on topic... the display of our CD player is black with white characters... in japan (and possibly europe) it's the greeny brown LCD colour with black characters. Strange how honda bothered making such small changes.

msnealo
22-04-2006, 06:01 PM

To me it sounds like you didn't know it's been in the ADR's for around 20 years that you have to have side indicator lights (giving a total of 6 on the car). It's only that they have been moved from just behind the front wheel on the front panel up onto the side mirror.

I too find that cars next to you from your front door back don't see you ( I notice it when I'm next to other Euro drivers too) and I think it's also because the front indicator it pointed purely to the front and not seen from the side. Alot of cars have the front indicator at the front corner and that also aids in seeing them indicating.

**Chris F types quicker than me and gave a similiar explanation above ;) **

Chris_F
22-04-2006, 06:42 PM
haha at least that's confirmation that neither of us are speaking out of our a**

corn_flakes
22-04-2006, 06:46 PM
lol thank you for interpreting what i was trying to explain...

it's not such a big problem....but like u said it can still possibly be one....

i'm not complaining about the indicators being on the side mirror...i quite like the style...

but i think it serves more of a cosmetic purpose (to add to the elegance of the euro), than a practical one.....i mean, the indicators are mainly seen by ppl viewing it from the front of the car - and we already have 2 front indicators...

just my two cents...

EuroDude
16-05-2006, 11:57 AM
Couple more bits I noticed:

The fuel door has a notch to hold the fuel cap when filling, although most of you already knew that.

Also there is a spring loaded handle above the passenger door, just noticed it yesterday rofl after 7 weeks.

corn_flakes
16-05-2006, 05:33 PM
Couple more bits I noticed:

The fuel door has a notch to hold the fuel cap when filling, although most of you already knew that.

Also there is a spring loaded handle above the passenger door, just noticed it yesterday rofl after 7 weeks.

ROFL!!!!!

hehe, u're a funny one...

i gotta admit i love the window features...i was so used to my old car that whenever i park somewhere, i put the windows up b4 i shut off the engine....

EuroDude
16-05-2006, 10:58 PM
My Civic used to roll all the windows up when the alarm is activated, so the Euro's system is a step back for me.
Why Honda didnt make it so a double-lock press winds the windows up, is beyond me :(

Still waiting for a simple mod to make them wind up automatically (without having to install an aftermarket alarm).

corn_flakes
17-05-2006, 05:06 PM
yeh but it costs quite a bit for that alarm system to have ur windows go up

and yes i agree about the double-lock press thingy on the remote...would make it much easier!

BiLL|z0r
17-05-2006, 07:44 PM
You wouldn't think it'd that hard for Honda to build it into the next model, I mean double unlock makes them go down, why not double lock to make them go up. I know I'd use it.

EuroDude
17-05-2006, 07:53 PM
From my understanding its very easy to implement, the reason they dont add it is due to liability concerns - limbs stuck in windows, todlers/pets suffocating in a locked up car on a hot day.

kleung
17-05-2006, 10:44 PM
But all the European cars do it...BMW, MB, VW to name a few that I know do it for a fact...

EuroDude
17-05-2006, 11:04 PM
But all the European cars do it...BMW, MB, VW to name a few that I know do it for a fact...

Must be a Japanese standards thing or something :confused:

Tobster
18-05-2006, 10:45 AM
Europe's probably more concerned about snow than they are about 35+ days...

BiLL|z0r
18-05-2006, 02:47 PM
Plus Japanese tend to leave there kids in cars at casino's :) Europeans take them in and get drunk as well :)

(In case no1 can tell I'm having a joke).

corn_flakes
18-05-2006, 03:03 PM
let me continue with that joke...

i'm asian and i don't gamble...i'm a MINORITY....lol

i was going to get a 2nd series monaro, how asian is that? hahaha...but with petrol prices these days, i got the euro.....

Omotesando
18-05-2006, 10:32 PM
I think someone mentioned the 'limbs' for remote window - that sounds the best explanation :) I mean, if u walk close enough to ur car, so u have to put your keys in to close all four windows - it is safer for the passengers limbs perhaps? BMW, VW and MB probably didn't thought of this to as much detail as HONDA. It doesn't make them superior then.. :P

If u think about how Honda have made it 'easy' to put down the windows, and that it is still 'relatively easy' to close them using the key in the lock, it means they definitely have considered it? Don't people think?

EuroDude
18-05-2006, 10:51 PM
Yep thats my theory but they should give us responsible people the option to enable this feature :(

Ive had auto-up windows on my Civic for years, not one incident. Plus the windows arent strong enough to hurt anyone - you may get a small bruse at worst. The Windows have an pressure detection sensor in the window/motor anyway.

Which makes me think its the toddler-locked-in-on-a-hot-day theory.

corn_flakes
19-05-2006, 10:24 AM
yeh but if u read in the manual, it says that if something is stuck between the windows whilst going up, the window will STOP...

not like old cars where it'll just crush someone's arm...=)

Omotesando
19-05-2006, 02:39 PM
yeh but if u read in the manual, it says that if something is stuck between the windows whilst going up, the window will STOP...

not like old cars where it'll just crush someone's arm...=)

Yes that's right, that is already be a feature in all new cars these days with electric windows. Nothing that new, but unfortunately it still hurts when it happens. Being a silly, experimenting person, I deliberately tried it and before it stops it is enough to get a bruise on your arm, let alone your FINGERS!

I would've thought Honda should be given credit for insisting on their own way! But anyway, I agree we should be given an option for it!

euro77
19-05-2006, 05:46 PM
Yes that's right, that is already be a feature in all new cars these days with electric windows. Nothing that new, but unfortunately it still hurts when it happens. Being a silly, experimenting person, I deliberately tried it and before it stops it is enough to get a bruise on your arm, let alone your FINGERS!

I would've thought Honda should be given credit for insisting on their own way! But anyway, I agree we should be given an option for it!

just want to note that this works only on driver's window, the other 3 will keep going.

EuroDude
19-05-2006, 06:03 PM
just want to note that this works only on driver's window, the other 3 will keep going.

Thats crazy, it should be all the windows. The driver has very little chance getting limbs caught because thou is too busy controlling the switch/remote.
Its more likely that a kiddy in the back is going to stick their arm out and get caught, or a dog get its noz stuck.

petsfact
19-05-2006, 07:38 PM

still have your arm? :D

euro77
19-05-2006, 09:25 PM
still have your arm? :D yeah, someone else tested it, not me :D

Omotesando
19-05-2006, 09:37 PM
I'll test the other 3 windows tomorrow :)

Using someone else's arm mind u - and report back!

EuroDude
19-05-2006, 09:41 PM
rofl use an empty plastic coke bottle with the lid on, if ur affraid. :)

corn_flakes
19-05-2006, 09:45 PM
rofl use an empty plastic coke bottle with the lid on, if ur affraid. :)

LOL i was just gonna say the same thing...!

use something to test it yo fools...it's not limited to human flesh and bones! lmao!

EuroDude
20-05-2006, 12:37 AM
hehe yeah at least wrap your friends arm in a towel or something ;)

BiLL|z0r
20-05-2006, 08:01 AM
Just use the neighbours cat :)

Ferrarista
20-05-2006, 12:24 PM
Did you know what when on cruise control and the car is braking the rear brake light doesnt come on.

Interesting, pretty dangerous actually.

EuroDude
20-05-2006, 12:48 PM
I agree, it is dangerous especially when slowing the car via the - steering wheel button.

Does CC actually use the brakes? It seems like Cruise Control doesn't use the brakes to slow down, it uses engine braking by shutting off the injectors instead.

aaronng
20-05-2006, 01:13 PM
^^ You're rightCC doesn't use brakes. Just shuts the off the injectors.

Ferrarista
20-05-2006, 01:31 PM
^^ You're rightCC doesn't use brakes. Just shuts the off the injectors.
The car is physically slowing down rapidly, im sure the brakes are being applied.

MalGib
20-05-2006, 02:22 PM
As far I as I am aware, the Euro's sold in Oz dont have adaptive cruise control, so the car does not apply the brakes with cruise control set. The engine compression is high, so when the cc releases the throttle and the injectors are off the car will feel like there is a light brake application going on, but it doesnt actually do that. Besides, when you're running on cc the car is maintaining a constant set speed and not declerating, so there is no need for the brake lights to come on anyways. As the car isnt actually slowing down then where is the danger?

MalGib
20-05-2006, 02:30 PM
The car is physically slowing down rapidly, im sure the brakes are being applied.

If the car is slowing down rapidly then cruise control must have cancelled. The whole point to cruise control is to maintain a constant speed, not to slow down the car.

Holding the '-' button when in cruise control is no different to lifting your foot off the throttle. The brake lights dont come on just because you release the throttle, so obviously they shouldnt come on when the '-' button is pressed either.

evolution42
20-05-2006, 03:28 PM
I'm 99% sure the Euro's CC doesn't brake. As far as i know, the only cars that brake are the ones with adaptive (radar-guided) cruise control, and the new BMW 3-Series (not radar-guided but does brake to maintain speed)

If your're going downhill (with CC on) and hold "-", the car can still gain speed if the hill is steep enough

IS250
21-05-2006, 01:30 AM

Thats not special. Practically every new car does that. My '91 Soarer does that.

euro1978
21-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Thats not special. Practically every new car does that. My '91 Soarer does that.

Gold Star for your soarer.

This thread isn't about being special like you - its about 'interesting bits on the euro found by euro owners for the potential benefit of other euro owners'.

Euro owners appreciate this thread.

DocB

thenozman
22-05-2006, 07:55 AM
Hi Guys,

Was checking the oil etc on the weekend and noticed something new.

Did any of you know that the windscreen wiper washer bottle has a dip stick???

corn_flakes
22-05-2006, 10:21 AM
Hi Guys,

LOL yes...:)

EuroDude
22-05-2006, 11:00 AM
Haha really, a dip stick? Thats a bit strange.

btw what do you guys put in there, just normal water? Or are you supposed to add a bit of window cleaner fluid?

xiang
22-05-2006, 11:34 AM
Hi Guys,

ahahah for real?
i'll have a look tonight.

does anyone know what those plastic flap things infront of the front wheels are for? their like these black plastic things that come down and their pretty stiff.

EuroDude
22-05-2006, 11:44 AM
They are mud flaps for the front wheels, so dirt doesnt go up into the engine bay area. I imagine they also for sound proofing to some degree, to avoid stones from hitting metal.

Tobster
22-05-2006, 12:08 PM
They're actually to help divert air around the wheels increasing the aerodynomics. There's a couple of good videos available on the Temple of VTEC where they go right under the car and explain everything -- it's worth a look.

http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=117652

swguy
22-05-2006, 01:21 PM

The trouble is, if you put your keys down in the boot and then close the boot, you are locked out of the car, because the car has locked itself after 30 seconds, even though the boot lid was open.

xiang
22-05-2006, 01:32 PM
They are mud flaps for the front wheels, so dirt doesnt go up into the engine bay area. I imagine they also for sound proofing to some degree, to avoid stones from hitting metal.

lol i think you've got your self confused with wat i was trying to describe, the skinny ones in the at the front of the wheel. lol i was imagining why you'd need mud flaps in the position.. unless you drive in reverse alot. lol

They're actually to help divert air around the wheels increasing the aerodynomics. There's a couple of good videos available on the Temple of VTEC where they go right under the car and explain everything -- it's worth a look.

thats the one im talking about, the second image from the top. wow, never would have thought anything about them!

The trouble is, if you put your keys down in the boot and then close the boot, you are locked out of the car, because the car has locked itself after 30 seconds, even though the boot lid was open.

I've done this once.. lucky i was at home, and they give you TWO keys.

euro77
22-05-2006, 07:38 PM
I've done this once.. lucky i was at home, and they give you TWO keys. On this note, I did have 2 keys, but the other one doesn't seem to work, i.e., doesn't seem to have a battery in it because it's very light (I haven't opened it up yet, but it does feel much lighter than the other one). Is yours (and everyone else's) the same?
PS. When I say doesn't work is referring to the button, I can still open and close the door manually and start the engine using the 2nd key.

aaronng
22-05-2006, 08:01 PM
JDM cars have all the latest stuff. JDM Euros have automatic steering that keeps it within the lane when activated. AUDM Euros will never have that. So what is normal for your car is special for the AUDM cars. :)

aaronng
22-05-2006, 08:03 PM
Haha really, a dip stick? Thats a bit strange.

btw what do you guys put in there, just normal water? Or are you supposed to add a bit of window cleaner fluid?
You can put just normal water. I add in a bit of Sonax washer additive. I find that it gets rids of existing water spots pretty well without leaving a powdery deposit that the others do.

corn_flakes
22-05-2006, 10:13 PM
You can put just normal water. I add in a bit of Sonax washer additive. I find that it gets rids of existing water spots pretty well without leaving a powdery deposit that the others do.

what the heck is Sonax? lol

EuroDude
22-05-2006, 10:25 PM
Sonax ClearView
http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2298/article.html

might try it :)

aaronng
22-05-2006, 11:04 PM
^ that's the one. I got the larger bottle. It's great! Best I've heard to avoid water spots is to use distilled water.

stephen8512
22-05-2006, 11:14 PM
i mix water with a little bit of metho, mix it up and pour it into my washer bottle

Ferrarista
22-05-2006, 11:14 PM

I service my car so regularly that ive never had the need to top it up myself :(

Sometimes i have to go into 'waste' mode and get my window really really clean before a service, gotta get my $2 worth of aditives!

aaronng
22-05-2006, 11:29 PM
I service my car so regularly that ive never had the need to top it up myself :(

Sometimes i have to go into 'waste' mode and get my window really really clean before a service, gotta get my $2 worth of aditives!
LOL, I bet sonax is more expensive than the stuff that they put in. But I let them put it in and charge me that $2-3 because in the end they are happy that I am paying for rubbish and I am happy that they gave me a new glovebox and new wheel well liner without hesitation (I just asked for a fix, not replacement). :D

GYPO2C
23-05-2006, 08:41 AM
read this thread yesterday and tried out a few of the things.
I left my head lights on, got out of the car...locked it and then stood there for about 2 mins watching in hope that they would turn off and they didnt seem to.

Also, filled up fuel this morning and there is a couple of extra pieces of support on the inside of the fuel lid but none that seem to actually be able to hold the fuel cap.

Excuse my ignorance if its something dumb ive missed.

IS250
23-05-2006, 09:44 AM
JDM cars have all the latest stuff. JDM Euros have automatic steering that keeps it within the lane when activated. AUDM Euros will never have that. So what is normal for your car is special for the AUDM cars. :)

Yes, if we're talking the latest in technology. But we're talking about central locking. Ok, I guess what I meant to say was, Didn't the previous Accord have that feature? I would be very surprised if the Accord of any generation didn't have that feature. Ok, maybe not every generation but at least from the mid '90s onwards.

Automatic steering? So what happens if you want to change lanes? So you switch it on if you don't want to change lanes, then switch if off when you do want to? Haha, if they also include radar cruise control, you'd never have to do anything again on a long trip lol.

Tobster
23-05-2006, 10:34 AM
I just noticed (sometimes I'm slow) that my 06 has a vent in the right-hand front wheel arch -- which must be for the air intake. Was this there in earlier models?

corn_flakes
23-05-2006, 10:39 AM
where abouts do u get this sonax stuff for and how much??

MalGib
23-05-2006, 11:01 AM
I just noticed (sometimes I'm slow) that my 06 has a vent in the right-hand front wheel arch -- which must be for the air intake. Was this there in earlier models?

Are you sure that the air vent is on the right-hand (driver's) side wheel arch? Mine is on the left hand (passenger's) side (Euro 06)!

I have thought the same thing ... something to do with air flow cooling around the disc brake, but why only on one side??? Maybe its there for some other purpose? I wonder if it has something to do with the outside temperature sensor? Does anyone know?

swguy
23-05-2006, 11:49 AM
read this thread yesterday and tried out a few of the things.
I left my head lights on, got out of the car...locked it and then stood there for about 2 mins watching in hope that they would turn off and they didnt seem to.

Also, filled up fuel this morning and there is a couple of extra pieces of support on the inside of the fuel lid but none that seem to actually be able to hold the fuel cap.

Excuse my ignorance if its something dumb ive missed.
Yeah i tried that with my lights too and nothing happened.

The fuel cap has a little round lug on the side that fits into the groove on the filler lid. My car is a MY06.

EuroDude
23-05-2006, 12:37 PM

lol took me a while to figure it out too, just put the fuel cap notch into the metal bracket thing on the fuel door, like swguy sed.

EuroDude
23-05-2006, 12:39 PM

They may have it at AutoBahn/Supercheapauto/Repco/KMart

aaronng
23-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Yes, if we're talking the latest in technology. But we're talking about central locking. Ok, I guess what I meant to say was, Didn't the previous Accord have that feature? I would be very surprised if the Accord of any generation didn't have that feature. Ok, maybe not every generation but at least from the mid '90s onwards.

Automatic steering? So what happens if you want to change lanes? So you switch it on if you don't want to change lanes, then switch if off when you do want to? Haha, if they also include radar cruise control, you'd never have to do anything again on a long trip lol.
Ok, practically all cars have central locking. What he was discussing about was auto locking. You unlock the door with the remote, so all doors are open. You open just the boot and after 30 or so seconds, all the doors lock itself automatically because you did not open the door. If you leave your keys in the boot then and close the boot, you're locked out.

The auto steering system is to keep you in the lane. You activate it and it will keep you in the lane during cruise control. It's more of a precautionary feature so you don't drift out of your lane when cruising with CC. They did demo it without hands, but they said in a statement that your hands should always be on the wheel.

I just want the infrared camera so I can see roo's at night! LOL

aaronng
23-05-2006, 12:44 PM
I get mine from Autobarn. I can't remember the price. I got the big bottle (enough to make 250L of washer spray water)... above $15 I'm sure though.

GYPO2C
23-05-2006, 01:29 PM
I get mine from Autobarn. I can't remember the price. I got the big bottle (enough to make 250L of washer spray water)... above $15 I'm sure though.

Hey Aaron, i believe it was you that mentioned the locking the cars and headlights should turn off. A couple of us have tried this to no avail. Is there any trick to this one mate??? cheers

aaronng
23-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Hey Aaron, i believe it was you that mentioned the locking the cars and headlights should turn off. A couple of us have tried this to no avail. Is there any trick to this one mate??? cheers
I might have been mistaken.. I tried it again and it didn't work. I thought it did work once but that was in the daytime so I might have been fooled.

Tobster
23-05-2006, 02:37 PM
Are you sure that the air vent is on the right-hand (driver's) side wheel arch? Mine is on the left hand (passenger's) side (Euro 06)!

I have thought the same thing ... something to do with air flow cooling around the disc brake, but why only on one side??? Maybe its there for some other purpose? I wonder if it has something to do with the outside temperature sensor? Does anyone know?
Yes, sorry -- back to front again!

It's on the left hand passenger side (How did I get that so backwards? I was probably thinking about the fact that there isn't one on the driver's side) -- which is where the air intake is, and is a common place to site vents for CAIs. Which is why I wondered if it's there in earlier models -- I don't recall seeing one before.

IS250
23-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Ok, practically all cars have central locking. What he was discussing about was auto locking. You unlock the door with the remote, so all doors are open. You open just the boot and after 30 or so seconds, all the doors lock itself automatically because you did not open the door. If you leave your keys in the boot then and close the boot, you're locked out.

The auto steering system is to keep you in the lane. You activate it and it will keep you in the lane during cruise control. It's more of a precautionary feature so you don't drift out of your lane when cruising with CC. They did demo it without hands, but they said in a statement that your hands should always be on the wheel.

I just want the infrared camera so I can see roo's at night! LOL

Yeah, I knew what he was talking about, That was what I was referring to as well.

Years ago the US had a car (Cadillac?) that used nightvision technology, but they refused to sell it to China cause they were afraid the Chinese would rip the technology and use it for military purposes LOL.

aaronng
23-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Yeah, I knew what he was talking about, That was what I was referring to as well.

Years ago the US had a car (Cadillac?) that used nightvision technology, but they refused to sell it to China cause they were afraid the Chinese would rip the technology and use it for military purposes LOL.
LOL, I bet China just wanted the Cadillac so that they could rip off the design and sell it under their own brand like what they did to BMW, Mercedes and Chevrolet, but that's another offtopic story: http://www.autoblog.com/2005/04/16/chinese-copy-cats/

xiang
23-05-2006, 10:03 PM
On this note, I did have 2 keys, but the other one doesn't seem to work, i.e., doesn't seem to have a battery in it because it's very light (I haven't opened it up yet, but it does feel much lighter than the other one). Is yours (and everyone else's) the same?
PS. When I say doesn't work is referring to the button, I can still open and close the door manually and start the engine using the 2nd key.

Yep mine works. It starts the car and all. I don't know why your second one wouldn't.

euro77
24-05-2006, 10:38 PM
Yep mine works. It starts the car and all. I don't know why your second one wouldn't. does it lock and unlock ur car remotely?

EuroDude
24-05-2006, 10:46 PM
My two keys work identically and weigh the same. Both remotes work the same.

It sounds like your 2nd key is missing a battery. Get a screw driver and have a quick look. U can buy new batteries from DickSmith cheap.

Omotesando
24-05-2006, 11:25 PM
OK, I don't understand what the fuss is about opening boot but then the door relocks itself in 30secs?

When u walk to the car back from the supermarket and use 'remote button' to open the boot, the doors aren't unlocked anyway in normal usage, since its a separate button. So in this case, if you accidentally leave ur keys in the boot before closing it, u'll be locked out regardless of whether u pressed the 'normal door unlock' button or not initially.

And if u actually came out from the car to access the boot, the doors won't lock itself after 30 seconds since the computer detects that u unlocked the doors from inside manually.

And in cars that don't have a remote boot release, u would still insert your car key manually to open the boot when u come back from shopping. So the chances of u being locked out as well is exactly the same as above. And if u had unlocked the normal doors remotely in this case before opening the boot? Well unless u actually opened the door then used the release hatch inside to open boot, and then close the door again it'll relock anyway. But the thing is people don't normally go to that trouble unless they have a 'kid'.

They just open the boot directly in most cases... using remote boot release or the key manually.

aaronng
24-05-2006, 11:55 PM
My keys always stay in my pocket. After I open the boot, it goes back into my pocket, so there is minimal opportunity for me to lock myself out of my car.

thenozman
25-05-2006, 08:13 AM
Hi guys,

Noticed something weird on the weekend regarding the automatic locking.

When i was cleaning the car, i had the car unlocked and i accidentaly pressed the unlock button on the remote (heard the lock click), about thirty seconds later the car auto locked. Havent tried it again yet, but i will on the weekend. Has anyone else noticed this or did i accidentally press the lock button and not notice.

nozman

EuroDude
25-05-2006, 08:56 AM
Yeah I think the unlock press triggered the count down, where if you dont open a door in 30 seconds, the car locks itself.

integraz
25-05-2006, 09:09 AM
yeah just read up above, thats what the guys are talking about.
It's just an auto lock, and there is no way you could lock yourself out, with the key inside the car.

Because once u "unlock it" and don't open the doors, then it will lock itself, but if u unlock it and open the door then close it. it assumes ur in the car or around the car, and so it doesnt lock itself.

Omotesando
25-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Yes Integraz is right - that is what part of my point was. The 30 second auto-lock function only works, when u have pressed the unlock button but didn't open the door. But this should be considered separate to what the boot does.

If you 'accidentally' pressed the unlock button whilst you're leaving the car to go somewhere, you would certainly want it to relock itself or someone could be stealing your vehicle or the belongings you have inside the car. Like IS250 said this is a feature on almost all cars with remote door release for this reason.

There is one thing i have to complain about the Euro accord. That is, the LOCK/UNLOCK stick is too easily visible from outside. So that means, if I parked somewhere and I accidentally forgot to lock the car (as I'm sure some of us do once in a while especially when running late!).... then anyone walking past the car will be able to see ur car's unlocked. This would serve the Opportunists who aren't necessarily thieves!

Some cars don't have that 'plastic' sticking up anymore. Instead the lock/unlock is on the side of the door, where its slightly more invisible!

aaronng
25-05-2006, 03:18 PM
If you 'accidentally' pressed the unlock button whilst you're leaving the car to go somewhere, you would certainly want it to relock itself or someone could be stealing your vehicle or the belongings you have inside the car. Like IS250 said this is a feature on almost all cars with remote door release for this reason.
Hmm, the 2001 Astra, 2002 Outback and 2000 Maxima that I drove did not have this feature....

IS250
25-05-2006, 04:49 PM
Hmm, the 2001 Astra, 2002 Outback and 2000 Maxima that I drove did not have this feature....

Well, unless you're actually aware of this feature and are standing there testing it out then you probably wouldn't even know about it. We have 3 cars at home, my Soarer, my sister's Lancer and my parents 626. All 3 have this feature but I'm the only one who even knows about it!

Different cars also have different time intervals, could be 30 seconds, 45 secs or even a minute before it auto locks.

Its not really something that would happen in the real world, and when it does happen, your initial reaction is that you 'accidentally locked it' (thenozman) or that your c/locking is stuffed. Both of those were my initial reactions when it happened.

Don't know about the other cars but the Astra has auto winding windows when the car is locked so if I had to guess then I'd say it definitely has this autolock feature. :)

aaronng
25-05-2006, 05:13 PM
Don't know about the other cars but the Astra has auto winding windows when the car is locked so if I had to guess then I'd say it definitely has this autolock feature. :)
Auto winding windows??? Our 2001 doesn't auto-wind. Even when holding the button down or turning and holding the key in the door lock.

Going to go and try it out on all the cars again later. hehe

EuroDude
25-05-2006, 07:34 PM
One "interesting" feature I noticed today was how stiff the front doors are when they are half open in the 'stiff' position. The door wacked me in the head and almost knocked me out when I was getting in in a tight spot with a close car next to my car.

I feel like shaving down the metal notch so its easier to maneuver the door.

swguy
26-05-2006, 12:38 AM
The door wacked me in the head and almost knocked me out when I was getting in in a tight spot with a close car next to my car.

Same thing happened to me it was a bit of a shock.

GYPO2C
26-05-2006, 08:23 AM
Same thing happened to me it was a bit of a shock.

haha same here... except it swung and hit me in the middle of the chest... its even harder when u are opening it slowly so u dont hit the wall u have parked next to and then it just springs out and hits it anyway

Omotesando
26-05-2006, 12:33 PM
When one of my girl friends slams the door of my Euro so hard, it deafens my left ear everytime she gets out.

Didn't want to hurt her feelings by telling her 'pls shut it lightly' haha but don't want to hurt my doors either! You probably get more and more rattles.. sigh... !

Anyway I think the Euro's autolock doors react really fast compared to the other cars I've driven that has the feature. Some take minutes to relock I think, but on the Euro I'm highly aware of it!

EuroDude
26-05-2006, 01:24 PM
Tell me about it! Everyone who has been in my car has slammed the door, its so much more springy than other cars.

primetimex
29-05-2006, 11:00 AM
There is one more interesting thing about the Euro:

I was driving down on a cold rainy day one morning with the A/C off - and the Recirculate button off (ie let in fresh air) and Sunroof tilted up. What is surprising is that I get warm air coming in to the cabin from the A/C even though the A/C is off!!!

Is there a ghost in Euro that operates the A/C on its own so that it heats up the outside air as it passes through the vents?? This is quite good actually as I don't need to switch on A/C heating on that cold rainy morning!

Omotesando
29-05-2006, 12:17 PM
Yes I have noticed that too primtimex.

If say I have Heater on before, then I think its getting too hot and turn the Climate Control off and also the Recirculate Button, the air that comes in is still very warm!

In fact you're right - that's how I try to save fuel this way with a free heater haha..

aaronng
29-05-2006, 12:21 PM
There is one more interesting thing about the Euro:

I was driving down on a cold rainy day one morning with the A/C off - and the Recirculate button off (ie let in fresh air) and Sunroof tilted up. What is surprising is that I get warm air coming in to the cabin from the A/C even though the A/C is off!!!

Is there a ghost in Euro that operates the A/C on its own so that it heats up the outside air as it passes through the vents?? This is quite good actually as I don't need to switch on A/C heating on that cold rainy morning!
Even if you have A/C off, the heater still works. So if your cabin temperature is below that of your set temperature, then the heater will heat the air. The heater runs off the car's coolant system, so essentially it is free heat that would be otherwise wasted.

aaronng
29-05-2006, 12:23 PM
Well, unless you're actually aware of this feature and are standing there testing it out then you probably wouldn't even know about it. We have 3 cars at home, my Soarer, my sister's Lancer and my parents 626. All 3 have this feature but I'm the only one who even knows about it!

I tried it out with the 2001 Astra. It doesn't auto lock. Also, I tried testing if the windows wind up if I held the remote lock button and turning the key in the lock (like the Euro) and that also didn't work.

primetimex
29-05-2006, 02:12 PM
Even if you have A/C off, the heater still works. So if your cabin temperature is below that of your set temperature, then the heater will heat the air. The heater runs off the car's coolant system, so essentially it is free heat that would be otherwise wasted.

That's interesting Aaronng, would the reverse also apply - let's say during summer - if the cabin temp is above set temp - even though the A/C is off would it also refrigerate the air and circulate it? - I think I have also noticed this during summer time

aaronng
29-05-2006, 02:32 PM
That's interesting Aaronng, would the reverse also apply - let's say during summer - if the cabin temp is above set temp - even though the A/C is off would it also refrigerate the air and circulate it? - I think I have also noticed this during summer time
If the cabin air temp is above the set air, what happens if the air flow is set to cooling mode (main vents), but the compressor is not on (A/C button off means compressor off) , so you won't get cooling. But you do get more air blowing at your face since the main vents are used and the fan speed is still controlled.

If your cabin temp is below the set temp, then the vents used are the leg vents (and maybe windscreen vents) and the air is routed past the coolant system.

So even if you turn off the "climate control" by pressing the A/C button, the part of the climate control that changes the output vents and fan speed still works.

Edit: Just realised that your guys are describing air coming in eventhough you hit the "OFF" button for the climate control. Well, if you have it set to take in fresh air from the outside before you hit "OFF" (and have it in the heating cycle), then the internal air path is left at that setting even after being turned off. So air is still being forced in into the cabin, past the engine coolant when you drive, giving you heating.

EuroDude
29-05-2006, 03:37 PM
Or when ClimateControl is OFF, maybe they just have the drivers temperature dial set high, such as ~27. It needs to be set to "LO" to avoid the air being heated by the engine.

aaronng
29-05-2006, 08:27 PM
Or when ClimateControl is OFF, maybe they just have the drivers temperature dial set high, such as ~27. It needs to be set to "LO" to avoid the air being heated by the engine.
If we really had to do that just get it to stop heated, I'd say that is a pretty bad design flaw. :eek:

EuroDude
29-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Depends on how you look at it.

I mean other cars have a manual slider to adjust the Cold<->Hot temperature, but the Euro has a Digital dial instead, which works the same way as a slider (when Climate Control is OFF).

IS250
30-05-2006, 03:20 PM
I tried it out with the 2001 Astra. It doesn't auto lock. Also, I tried testing if the windows wind up if I held the remote lock button and turning the key in the lock (like the Euro) and that also didn't work.

Hmm, maybe there was an update between 2001 and 2003. I distinctively remember that feature was listed on the brochure that I saw around late 2002. I almost bought it just because of that feature lol. Try the owners manual, it might say how to do it.

Even if the climate control is off, the thermostat will still be set to the temperature that it was before you turned it off. So if you had the cc set at 27 and the ventilation set to outside air then the air coming in will be warmish. If you had the cc set to 18 before you turned it off then you will get cool air coming in.

Edit: You can still adjust the temperature of the air coming in, even with the cc off.

primetimex
30-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Even if the climate control is off, the thermostat will still be set to the temperature that it was before you turned it off. So if you had the cc set at 27 and the ventilation set to outside air then the air coming in will be warmish. If you had the cc set to 18 before you turned it off then you will get cool air coming in.

That is certainly interesting - also I think on the MY06 Euro the seats have been changed a bit - it seems that the seats are a lot more supportive and deeper than my previous 03 model and more comfortable too

What does everyone think?

EuroDude
30-05-2006, 03:53 PM
The 06 seats could do with an adjustable front section.

Unfortunately when raising the seat, it only lifts the rear of the base, resulting in a forward sloped seating position which is quite uncomfortable :(

Omotesando
30-05-2006, 04:26 PM
In the past - people actually recommend you to turn off the A/C button if you are going to use your heater..

Heater like AARONNG said is just fan air blowing in free heat from the radiator/coolant system . If you're racing on the track and the car's overheating, you turn on the heater to lower the engine/coolant temperature (and cook yourself internally!).

A/C is for cool air. Actually I never found out if say my A/C button is ON, but I've turned on the Heater - whether the Air Compressor is automatically turned off or not... does anyone know?

BiLL|z0r
30-05-2006, 04:36 PM
If you press the Auto button it would turn on Air-Con, so you would have to press Auto, then AC off to get he "free" air.

xiang
30-05-2006, 05:21 PM
I was told it was just engine heat? but it seems silly that when ever you turn ac off, you're gonna get hot air. * shrugs *

timmy_12
30-05-2006, 06:45 PM
the only way you will get cold air if the ac is off is if you have it of fresh air and the outside temp is cooler than the inside temp or if you open the windows and it's cooler outside

the only way to cet cool air is if it's on Lo however you may have to "Manually" adjust the fan settings so you don't get the fan blowing at you at full speed (if you don't know how to manually adjust the settings please refer to your Honda user guide)

if you have it on Lo and the fresh air is closed than the temp of the car is going to rise through generated heat within the car and also road, sun, and also heat transfer through the firewall from the engine.

aaronng
30-05-2006, 08:09 PM
Hmm, maybe there was an update between 2001 and 2003. I distinctively remember that feature was listed on the brochure that I saw around late 2002. I almost bought it just because of that feature lol. Try the owners manual, it might say how to do it.

Haha, you know, now I dissuade everyone from buying Holden. So far this 2001 has had leaking injectors (cylinders flooded when left off overnight), faulty ignition barrel and worn rotor after just 1 set of pads (my gf's car, so it's not driven aggressively). There was a 0.5mm lip on the front rotor!!! Now with 60,000km/4 years, we have to change the timing belt! The service was almost $1000! I'm trying to persuade her to get a Honda (because of the timing chain) but the only one she likes is the IS200.

yfin
30-05-2006, 10:15 PM

100% correct. It took me ages to work out why warm air was coming out of the vents when the climate control was off. Our climate control seems to be just a manual system with an electronic display.

I am now in the habit of turning the dial all the way down if I turn climate control off.

kleung
31-05-2006, 01:02 AM
yfin - from what I can tell, it only becomes 'manual' when you hit the 'off' button - it just leaves all the valves and vents at whatever position they are, and stops adjusting it. Otherwise, it's automagic.

Say, the cabin temp is 20C and you had the temp set to '29C'. With the CC on, regardless of whether AC is on or not, the valve controlling the amount of engine coolant going to the heater radiator will pretty much be wide open. Normally, with the CC on, it will gradually close the valve as the cabin temp approaches 29C. If you hit 'off', it will stop adjusting the valve, and the fan will stop. Other factors aside, the cabin will get hotter and hotter.

So basically, you are right - to really make sure the CC is off and not interfering, turn the temp dial to 'lo' first before pressing 'off'.

That's the beauty of having CC - no constant adjustments to the HVAC controls - just set and forget.

yfin
31-05-2006, 02:14 AM
Thanks Kleung - rep point for you :thumbsup:

primetimex
31-05-2006, 10:43 AM
Just curious - has anyone here noticed that may be the 06 Euro seats have been revised - I don't know but I think that the seats are deeper and more comfortable than my 03 Euro!!

C[H]aMeLeoN
06-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Noticed the other night driving through Lithgow that if the temp drops below 3 degrees, a picture of a road with an ice flake lights up in the trip computer. There is also a warning beep.

aaronng
06-06-2006, 02:42 PM
aMeLeoN']Noticed the other night driving through Lithgow that if the temp drops below 3 degrees, a picture of a road with an ice flake lights up in the trip computer. There is also a warning beep.
That's it... make us 03-05 owners drool.... :)

EuroDude
06-06-2006, 06:44 PM
Another interesting bit is when you press Lock on the remote, the car wont lock if there is a door open or not shut properly.

Plus in the wet with the wipers on Intermittent, the wipers activate when you release the brakes if the car is moving under 10km/h (I think thats been mentioned previously tho)

MalGib
06-06-2006, 09:38 PM
Plus in the wet with the wipers on Intermittent, the wipers activate when you release the brakes if the car is moving under 10km/h (I think thats been mentioned previously tho)

Hey I found out that one tonight too ... finally have some decent rain in Sydney so I've used the wipers for about the first time since I bought the car! What I found was if you dial up the fast end of the intermittent wiper setting it seems the wipers run continuously while driving ... until ... you come to a stop at the traffic lights and then they go at a slow intermittent speed. I'm guessing that end of the intermittent setting is some type of auto mode with speed sensing. Neat!

aaronng
06-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Hey I found out that one tonight too ... finally have some decent rain in Sydney so I've used the wipers for about the first time since I bought the car! What I found was if you dial up the fast end of the intermittent wiper setting it seems the wipers run continuously while driving ... until ... you come to a stop at the traffic lights and then they go at a slow intermittent speed. I'm guessing that end of the intermittent setting is some type of auto mode with speed sensing. Neat!
No matter which setting you use when in intermittent mode, it will go to the slowest possible setting when you stop and are on the brakes.

EuroDude
06-06-2006, 09:47 PM
Didnt know it slowed down on fast-intermittent speed, sweet - i'll try it when I'm stuck in traffic tomorrow :)

Chris_F
06-06-2006, 10:14 PM
wow - all that stuff about the AC was really interesting... still not sure if i 100% understand it, but ill try out the reccomendations you fellas have made

accordoholic
07-06-2006, 12:27 AM

It doesn't have anything got to do with the speed of your car. It's a sensor that's based on force. The reason why you think the wipers are faster while you are in motion is only because the rain/water droplets hit the windscreen at a greater force so hence wipers work harder.

Happy wet driving

tanalasta
07-06-2006, 12:38 AM
I agree. Interesting stuff about the A/C. My question is - does the Climate Control (auto) mode also adjust the fan speed automatically? Or simply switch off once your desired temperature is set.

I've found the auto mode usually uses a fan speed setting of "III" when I first turn it on.

aaronng
07-06-2006, 12:46 AM
It doesn't have anything got to do with the speed of your car. It's a sensor that's based on force. The reason why you think the wipers are faster while you are in motion is only because the rain/water droplets hit the windscreen at a greater force so hence wipers work harder.

Happy wet driving
Hey, my windscreen doesn't have a force sensor unlike yours.:cool:

yfin
07-06-2006, 12:52 AM
Hey, my windscreen doesn't have a force sensor unlike yours.:cool:

It was on the limited edition James Bond version. Only 007 made.

EuroDude
07-06-2006, 09:07 AM
What the heck is a force sensor?
You mean the rain sensor on teh luxury models?

yfin
07-06-2006, 09:19 AM

yep - it adjusts timing based on intensity of the rain.

What Malgib was talking about is a feature on the standard euro too - it explains how it works in the manual. As soon as you take your foot of the brake while stationary it wipes again and resumes the wiper setting.

aaronng
07-06-2006, 10:02 AM
LOL, nope, not the rain sensor. This:

Haha, quote of the day I reckon. :D :D :D

My standard Euro doesn't have rain sensors. So I think that the wipers just follow the intermittent speed that you set on the wiper stalk and when you stop, it goes to the slowest possible setting. You can tell because each time you lift your foot off the brakes, it wipes. So the sensor that tells it when to go to the slowest setting is the same sensor that activates the brake lights. The brake sensor!

Omotesando
07-06-2006, 03:38 PM
I think the Rain Sensor on the Luxury Euro doesn't work by force (although I suspected that previously toooo).

Most of them work by optical which means usually a beam emitted is bounced back to the receiver on dry day, but if droplets form on windscreen - less signals are received so rain is detected and wipers are turned on.

When you travel faster, obviously more rain drops on windscreen are detected by rain sensor and as such wipers are faster!

kleung
07-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Tanalasta: Yes, it does. That's the whole idea behind CC - you press 'auto', dial up your desired temp, and the system takes care of the rest. The fan usually speeds up as soon as you press auto to help bring the cabin temp to whatever you set as quickly as possible.

kleung
07-06-2006, 07:37 PM
Re: the wipers - on the standard Euro, the intermittent mode is speed sensitive. The delay shortens when your speed exceeds 20km/h (quoted from the manual). Also, as soon as you take your foot off the brake, the wipers are triggered to sweep once. I guess they figured you'd want to be able to see when your car starts moving. :)

EuroDude
07-06-2006, 08:31 PM
Concerning the windscreen defroster, when you press it, the A/C comes on, the air direction changes to "windscreen" mode, and the fan speed jumps up to setting 5 which is quite strong (cold) especially in Winter.

Is there a way to change it so the fan only jumps up to setting 2 or 3?
When activating the defroster, I need to lower the fan speed manually which is a hassle.

corn_flakes
07-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Concerning the windscreen defroster, when you press it, the A/C comes on, the air direction changes to "windscreen" mode, and the fan speed jumps up to setting 5 which is quite strong (cold) especially in Winter.

When activating the defroster, I need to lower the fan speed manually which is a hassle.

noticed that yesterday night...very cold indeed

if u want then u have to do it manually....choose mode (sh!t thing is u can only choose windscreen with FOOT vents on the mode)..

EuroDude
07-06-2006, 09:01 PM
hmm I was hoping we could hold a button down or something to remember the speed.

Do our Euros have heated power mirrors?

In the manual it says:
"When you turn on the rear window demister, the power mirror heaters also turn on."
It doesnt mention 'For some types'

Omotesando
08-06-2006, 12:53 AM
EuroDude - very good question regarding power mirror heaters... hmmm

aaronng
08-06-2006, 01:46 AM
Do our Euros have heated power mirrors?

In the manual it says:
"When you turn on the rear window demister, the power mirror heaters also turn on."
It doesnt mention 'For some types'
Only Canada gets it.

EuroDude
10-06-2006, 06:42 PM
Dunno if other manual cars can do it (dont think my civic could):

If the car is stationary and in first gear, then you slowly let out the clutch WITHOUT pressing on the accelerator at all, the car will launch normally without stalling.

aaronng
10-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Dunno if other manual cars can do it (dont think my civic could):

If the car is stationary and in first gear, then you slowly let out the clutch WITHOUT pressing on the accelerator at all, the car will launch normally without stalling.
It's a property of an engine with torque. The corvette could do that with 4th gear!

EuroDude
10-06-2006, 08:02 PM
I see. 4th gear? thats hektic

aaronng
10-06-2006, 11:54 PM
I see. 4th gear? thats hektic
Better yet, if you use the accelerator and clutch, the Covette can take off in 5th and accelerate up to over 200km/h. Top Gear got 160mph (256km/h) before they ran out of runway.

corn_flakes
11-06-2006, 12:37 AM

\yo! i just figured this out 2nite!!!

press the defroster thingo, it will be blowing really hard right??

just press the DOWN button for the fan speed...that's how u adjust it! :D

aaronng
11-06-2006, 01:25 AM
And if you want a 1 button setting for demisting the front, press the vent button once. The first mode is windscreen and feet, which is the same mode if you press the front demister button.

EuroDude
11-06-2006, 01:32 AM
\yo! i just figured this out 2nite!!!

press the defroster thingo, it will be blowing really hard right??

just press the DOWN button for the fan speed...that's how u adjust it! :D

Yeah thats what I meant about changing the fan speed manually - after the defroster is turned on. I'm too lazy to press more than one button lol :p