PDA

View Full Version : about to buy an Accord Euro - aircond not cold please advise

GrumpySmurf
28-10-2015, 11:34 PM
hi, i am about to buy an accord euro 2004 for what i think is a great value. i have test driven it twice and is confident about the car. the main issue iz that the aircond is not cold at all. the owner reckons a regas is all it needs but im worried if it needs more. are there any inherent problems with this models aircond?

sorry for the basic question but i only have till tomorrow morning to decide whether to go ahead.

Hondarally
29-10-2015, 07:15 AM
Unlikely that it only needs a regas. If there were nothing wring with the A/con system, it would not have lost the gas in the first place. It might not be anything serious (would expect to need a drier / receiver, probably a top up of compressor oil as well as a very minimum). If it's been run without gas for an extended period, there is a chance that it could have damaged the compressor, as it may have been low on oil.

I'd expect to spend a $2-300 troubleshooting the system and finding out why it's in need of a regas, and fixing any issues. Shouldn't be a big issue though. You might be lucky and get away with just a regas, but I think you'll find that most air con mechanics will be hesitant to regas until they've eliminated any leaks or other problems in the system.

GrumpySmurf
29-10-2015, 06:28 PM
Thanks! After a look during the day, the problem was obvious! The compressor had literally exploded! So the synopsis is, New everything - Compressor ($500-$900), Condenser, Receiver dryer, TX Valve - Parts would be around $1000-$1500. Labour add another $600-$900. So much for "all she needs is a re-gas" :(

On the same topic, after lots of research, this seems to be quite a common issue... Aircond problem around the 200,000 kms life of the Accord Euro.

Hondarally
30-10-2015, 06:12 AM
Lol gotta love dodgy sellers.

Lucky you found the problem early.