PDA

View Full Version : How many timing belt drive pulley wheels on a 99 Civic D16Y4 engine ?

john1976
07-11-2015, 10:10 PM
First time post here. I've been posting on the US Honda Civic forum and its hard getting answers on the specifics of the Australian D16Y4 engine.
I've got a 1999 Civic EK1 with a D16 Y4 engine and i want to do a timing belt change (amongst other things). I downloaded a manual for Honda Civics from 96-00. This doesn't include the D16Y4 and the engine diagram shows that there is one timing belt drive pulley.2898128980
When i did a google search of the D16Y4 engine i found a diagram which showed that there were 2 timing belt drive pulley plates. I've gotten as far as removing the harmonic balancer on my car and i have noticed that there is a drive pulley plate on the outside of the timing belt drive pulley (as in the second diagram).
So has anyone here ever changed the timing belt on a D16Y4 and can let me know if there's one or two plates on it ? I've attached two diagrams with the drive pulley plates highlighted. I also did a search on this forum and i noticed someone already asked the question on whether there was a specific service manual for the D16Y4. I rang honda and they said that the manual was out of print. Anyone here know where i can find one ?

Daveho1
08-11-2015, 04:20 AM
I have no idea what you are asking. In both diagrams the belt tracks the same way so timing belt replacement should haven't the same procedure..

amant02
08-11-2015, 05:06 AM
Yea I have done it, mine had the plate on both sides.

Hey if it was working fine before hand just remove and install in same order.

Also recommend doing water pump your already there... few bolts its out and abit of sealant and loctite your set in.

amant02
08-11-2015, 05:07 AM
or you could try to find the plate, im sure its gonna be a pain chasing that part down with the dealer specially cos its D series.

Daveho1
08-11-2015, 05:44 AM
Yes those D series parts are tricky to come by due to the rairity of the engine..

Dxs
08-11-2015, 09:13 AM
if you live in a big city, i am sure u could find a car with a pick a part wrecker that would have this engine somewhere

ECU-MAN
08-11-2015, 03:40 PM
There are 2 plates like in the second diagram on the D16Y4. Only Engines with the CKF sensors there will have the one plate (USDM) such as our D16Y8 EJ8 (US built)

john1976
08-11-2015, 06:55 PM
There are 2 plates like in the second diagram on the D16Y4. Only Engines with the CKF sensors there will have the one plate (USDM) such as our D16Y8 EJ8 (US built)

Cheers mate, the main problem is finding a manual thats specific to the D16Y4. The manual that i have has just the one plate on it - and for a noob like myself its essential that i have a working diagram that fits the engine exactly. Hopefully there aren't any other differences in the manual that i have. Don't want to make a balls of it. Thanks for all the replys !