PDA

View Full Version : Full size radiators - EK b18cr jdm spec

ekR
19-12-2015, 09:13 PM
Hey guys,

Recently took out my a/c, was originally planning on slapping in a full size radiator but I've read here and there in other threads that full size radiators generally cause clearance issues with turbo setups?

In the foreseeable future I don't plan on turboing my b18c but I'd like to have the option available if I ever do decide to.

So really 2 questions here - one being does a full size radiator cause any clearance issues with a turbo set up (I know this is really largely dependent on extractors you use).

I was planning on buying a moshimoto from JDM yard but they are only half sizes, I'd probably have to hunt around for a full size, does anybody know where I could get one (other than ebay), and whether or not there are any out there that would be a straight bolt on without having to create fancy mounts.

Am open to suggestions where I can buy and install as well, would prefer something that doesn't include online purchasing (just because I like to see products in person before buying), still running stock d16 radiator on my b18 so pretty keen to get it changed asap.

Cheers, any input appreciated.

Daveho1
20-12-2015, 04:43 AM
Not all that helpful but when I B swapped my EG I used a stock DC2 radiator, it looked to me like the DC2 rad is thinner than an many aftermarket options and if you where to remove your AC you could probably modify the rad support to move the radiator further forward.

Hondarally
20-12-2015, 11:43 AM
Correct. DC rad fits nicely into EG, and possibly EK as well. I'm sure I've mixed and matched EG / EK rads in the past. As Daveho1 said, the DC rad is much thinner, so will give reasonable clearance. Even if you leave the fan off the second half, you should end up with fairly decent clearance for a turbo.

ekR
20-12-2015, 12:04 PM
Not all that helpful but when I B swapped my EG I used a stock DC2 radiator, it looked to me like the DC2 rad is thinner than an many aftermarket options and if you where to remove your AC you could probably modify the rad support to move the radiator further forward.

No that's helpful I didn't know dc2 radiators were thin

I mean I guess anything is better than a d16 radiator lol, as long as I can fit it

Correct. DC rad fits nicely into EG, and possibly EK as well. I'm sure I've mixed and matched EG / EK rads in the past. As Daveho1 said, the DC rad is much thinner, so will give reasonable clearance. Even if you leave the fan off the second half, you should end up with fairly decent clearance for a turbo.

Are radiator fans important? I know they help push the air out but are they necessary? my current radiator has one and I'm not sure if the radiator I was looking at (moshimoto) comes with one, and a new fan is quite expensive so do I really need one or are they good for safe measure?

That's good though in any case if I can fit a turbo set up with a full size radiator I'd prefer that, I don't have power steering either so hopefully that allows for more space. I do have quite a bit of empty space in my bay at the moment pretty keen to get a radiator in as soon as possible.

Might even try and find an OEM dc2r radiator in that case since it will work out a little cheaper for me, I'd be looking at around $500 for a moshimoto and I'm not one to cheap out on parts but I'd also need to pay someone else to fit it for me because I'm pretty hopeless with part installations.

Hondarally
20-12-2015, 01:25 PM
You only need the radiator fan when you're travelling slowly (less than say 20km/h). Once you get some speed up, the fan doesn't do anything. I wouldn't run without one unless you can be sure you'll never get stuck in stop start traffic. What I was saying was that you might get away without needing 2 fans on the radiator - I'd definitely run one fan though.

I'm not certain but I thought that there was only one listing for DC2 Integra radiators, which means that the stock rad is good for the B18C7 motors. I had a stock copper one in my EG6 rally car and it never looked like getting hot, despite racing on 35 degree days. That car had a warm B16a, putting out about the same power as a B18C (possibly a fraction more)

ekR
20-12-2015, 06:44 PM
You only need the radiator fan when you're travelling slowly (less than say 20km/h). Once you get some speed up, the fan doesn't do anything. I wouldn't run without one unless you can be sure you'll never get stuck in stop start traffic. What I was saying was that you might get away without needing 2 fans on the radiator - I'd definitely run one fan though.

I'm not certain but I thought that there was only one listing for DC2 Integra radiators, which means that the stock rad is good for the B18C7 motors. I had a stock copper one in my EG6 rally car and it never looked like getting hot, despite racing on 35 degree days. That car had a warm B16a, putting out about the same power as a B18C (possibly a fraction more)

This is actually for an ek converted b18c (jdm spec) - I should really start specifying my car in the main post.

I'll definitely look for a fan too then, I definitely do get stuck in stop/start traffic often

I see moshimoto makes full size radiators and they are cheaper than the half size jdmyard sells, I'm not too keen buying off ebay but if I can't find anything else I'll consider buying it.