PDA

View Full Version : RPMs jumpy

ekR
02-01-2016, 01:34 PM
Hey guys,

Quick question - while back I posted about my car bogging when getting into high revs/vtec.

I had the issue checked and it was a problem with the knock sensor - that aside we cleared the CEL and everything was running SMOOTHER than before, granted not feeling completely 100% yet.

I decided to buy a hondata s300 (as I will eventually tune it anyway and I was running an OEM b18c r ecu anyway) on the same day.

One issue I'm still having is my tacho/rpm seedo is not reading correctly, it revs great till about 4k rpms and then it starts to sputter and hesitates as it drops into vtec. At around 4k the rpm needle pretty much goes nuts it'll either start bouncing between 6-8k rpms or sit between 1-3k rpms - all while the engine is still actually revving up, it doesn't sound like it's limiter bashing, but it definitely does seem like signals aren't being read correctly. I had the issue checked again and we made a narrow diagnosis that it could be the distributor playing up.

This doesn't happen all the time and seems largely to do with how the car wakes up (turns on) - the car starts up fine every time not to say there are any issues but pretty much you can feel if it's going to be a good drive or not.

I've done some research, o2 sensor, distributor and VSS sensor seem to come up a lot but I know it's not the o2 sensor because that was wired up correctly recently, and I'm not too sure what a VSS would have to do with why my RPMs aren't signalling right.

Distributor/ignition seems like the only other thing I can think of that could be causing the issue - the matter of fact is that my car just seems confused sometimes, it's like accelerate... accelerate.... accelerate... VTEC FDAJFDASIOFJDIOSFJDAO and then it seems to sputter a bit - of course I don't wanna push it through the sputtering so I lay off and it calms down again.

There are time where I drive it and while it's not driving how I feel it should, it gets on vtec and feels happy.

Now I want to change my distributor but I've already spent a lot of money, there's no CEL showing anymore and I don't have anyone who I can borrow a dizzy off to see if that's my issue.

Is there any way to check if my dizzy is the problem? I'm not too mechanically savvy so I'd prefer not to start unbolting things, I've already been told it's the dizzy and I'm quite happy to buy one just not for the sake of throwing money at the problem.

I called Honda already to see if they can supply me with a distributor but their parts department aren't open.

Or if anyone has a dizzy in Sydney who can let me try theirs or buy one off? Will happily pay to fix the problem