PDA

View Full Version : 2012 CU2 headlights

Kuchiki81
17-01-2016, 01:45 PM
Can anyone confirm the type of headlights in this model accord euro? Are they HID? It's just a standard model not luxury. The manual mentions that HID's are an option but only says to have the dealer replace them so there are no instructions on how to do it. I would like to replace them with a whiter light, but short of removing them I can't confirm exactly what they are.
Thanks

Martin77
17-01-2016, 08:18 PM
White light bulbs are usually more for show than functionality. This is rated by colour temperature in Kelvin (K). Usually people make halogen bulb whiter by putting a coating on the bulb and this reduce the brightness a little. Bulb whiteness and brightness are different.
Brightness is usually measured in lumens. The brightness will increase with the different bulb you use. For halogen bulb, the latest offering from Philips or Osram gives reasonable light. If you like you can upgrade to HID for extra brightness. They also have different power ratings (35 or 50W) and also colour. Please be careful setting it up as it could be extremely glarey and dangerous if not setup properly.

Fredoops
17-01-2016, 08:32 PM
base model is Halogen

lux model is HID

MCLCU2
18-01-2016, 11:21 AM
base models have H1 55W Halogens on them as low beam.

I have mine replaced with Osram Cool Blue Hyper 5000K atm - have that nice somewhat HID-lookalike white light but as Martin77 mentioned it does reduce brightness a little compared to normal yellowish bulbs. Might swap it to Osram Nightbreaker if I need to swap bulbs in the future.

It's a pain in the bottom to retrofit HID legally on the base model Euros since in Australia, the ADR requires you to fit auto-leveller, headlight washer and if I remember correctly the projector needs to be the correct HID projector as well which our base models don't come with.

Haanda
23-01-2016, 08:03 PM
I fitted Osram Night Breakers in the Toyota Corolla that we traded in for our Accord Euro Lux, and they are very good. Philips recently released the X-Treme bulb that is also on par with the Night Breaker.
Both are measured at 1500 Lumens.
They give a slightly yellower light than the higher Kelvin bulbs, but the beam is much brighter and the beam throw longer.
I purchased them from powerbulbs.com, who offer free shipping to Oz. Time from order to delivery is around 7 working days.. Australia Post permitting.
You probably need HB4 and HB3 to do both high and low beams.