PDA

View Full Version : S2000 hello

nellfur
24-01-2016, 06:50 PM
Hi all,

I am new(ish) to the forum with a recently(ish) bought s2k in Adelaide

The s2k was a lucky emergency buy following a little incident with my previous car and some police who didn't like what had been done to it :(

I thought this might be a good place to document my attempts to restore the car to a decent state following some prior neglect, so I decided to introduce myself at last. I don't imagine it will be exciting but it might keep me on track!

So hi to everyone! And if the owner of the red s2k that sometimes parks outside the western hospital is here, hi to you - I'm the silverstone who parks down the street.

S2000 purchased as:
2000 AP1 Silverstone
Stock (except gear knob)
Worn throughout with last service record from 2013 & needing an oil top up to do the test drive - ?sat in the shed for quite a while
Worn rebound on rear shocks (unstable in corners)
Worn clutch with buzz (replacement required)
Brake discs down to minimum
Rear window badly stained/marked
Top ok (no leaks!)
Body ok (straight and tidy!)

nellfur
24-01-2016, 07:15 PM
So if I managed to get this right…

rear window after I plastic polished it to within an inch of it's life - hard to see how bad it is due to my rear window sunshade

an indication of how good the maintenance quality was (filter manufacture no 000623 with housing number 000627 - possibly never replaced?)

connorling
25-01-2016, 10:06 AM
keep up the good work.

hope u got this car cheap

nellfur
25-01-2016, 04:37 PM
Pretty cheap :)

The same price as one that felt it had been taken apart and put back together again with glue… plus everything is fixable so I don't mind too much!

nellfur
25-01-2016, 05:26 PM
So for Christmas it got…

New Extreme clutch (oh my goodness… what an amazing difference - I nearly stalled it it was such a big change! So light!)
New Clutch master and slave
Gearbox oil replace
Diff oil replace
Shinetsu to all seals
Coolant temp sensor
Aircon/cabin filter (at $76 I'll be making my own from now on!)
Set of Morell tempo coax (good riddance to ugly old splitters)

And for the icing on the cake…

Titanium OEM replacement for the horrible carbon fibre number :) feels so much better!!!

So now the goal is to do everything that should be done at the 80,000/120,000 service before I get to the fun stuff...

New plugs in (running really smoothly now)
Air filter cleaned and re-oiled
Bought a fuel filter ($69 + bracket $22 + retainer $3) but still to install
Awaiting delivery of brake rotors DBA4000 (got em for cheap or I wouldn't have worried about fancy)
Debating brake pads… (quoted $335 for OEM front and rear from honda, trying to check out Akebono, not sure about bendix, repco 'brand' are about $70 per end but I have no idea who makes them!)
Debating shocks... (want original ride feel but OEM is averaged at around $600 per corner, Koni is softer, Bilstein coil overs $1500 + postage but haven't found compression/rebound rates yet, haven't translated spoon fixed showa to imperial to compare rates yet) Any suggestions for accessible stock analogues in Australia? Or places to buy OEM where I don't have to sell my organs on the black-market for funds?

Hoping to replace some of the carpet/trim that was ruined by the previous owner & get a small shopping trolley dent removed when possible.

Keen to buy a trimmings clip kit to ensure everything is attached as it should be instead of broken/missing plastic clips - perhaps for internet shopping tonight!;)

u mad?
25-01-2016, 07:05 PM
Op don't buy oem pads, what a rip, since you have gone with a nice rotor like the dba4000, maybe get a slightly uprated pad to go with them like Acre super fighter, or if you plan on going on hard mountain runs or even track look into Ferodo ds2500, will be cheaper then oem as well most likely plus you get better heat range to work with, no noise but they will dust more then the oem's.

Jasemas
27-01-2016, 10:17 PM
Nice work n update
Repco pads are made by Federal Mogul - USA. Same makers as Feredo
Akebonos are hard to get, expect $150+
Look at project MU or some EBC

nellfur
30-01-2016, 08:18 AM
Well thursday… people are so disappointing…

Parked the car at the supermarket to buy some water on the way to training for my new job.(in a nice clear area with few cars, only one car in good condition next to me and with a good wide distance between - ok I may be paranoid but its justified!)

Came back to the car and saw the same car there with a lady and her empty unloaded trolley between our cars, she smiled, said hello and sped off with her trolley and I looked along my car and immediately saw this
I know it wasn't there before because I was looking at the car earlier at work & hadn't parked next to anyone on that side since.

Looked up and the lady had completely disappeared.

I wouldn't have made her pay for it but how hard is it to admit you did something and apologise…?

On the plus side my rotors have arrived and the car didn't leak at all in the heavy rain we had all week in Adelaide!

YeahByuddy
09-02-2016, 03:04 PM
oh my lawd that filter is disgusting

RenzokukenJ
09-02-2016, 03:28 PM
oh my lawd that filter is disgusting
Fuk up boris

nellfur
14-03-2016, 08:56 PM
So pads and rotors finally done:
DBA4000 plus trying out the QFM HP-X

Stops harder than whatever was in there previously and looks cool as a bonus - I'm happy so far ;)

Quote for Bilsteins $2600

GAB SS recommended by a contact $1300... anyone tried these on an S2K?

nellfur
05-08-2016, 11:17 AM
More work done since my last update...

-New battery fitted
-Shopping trolley dents all removed (huge improvement)
-Broken panel clips replaced (such a satisfying job!)
-New key and transmitter purchased and cut ($ ouch)
-Shifter cleaned and re-lubed (it felt fine before but is much nicer now)

And the big one... Bilstein B14's installed, aligned, corner weighted and set for cob and suspension alignment (great mechanic :) )
Fortunately the rubber shock absorber mountings were 'like they had just been replaced' so that saved $100 a corner!

Keen to buy new tyres next to get off the eco tyres and get a bit more grip.

New striker plates on their way and starting to think about soft top replacement.... so lots of research to do!

Starting to like the QFM's, a bit on/off but now that I'm used to them they're stopping pretty hard.
Waiting for some dry road to give the bilsteins a bit of a try, stiffer than the (worn) originals but well damped and feel really solid, still need to settle in.

Unbelievable torrential rain and not a drip of cabin leakage so thanks Shinetsu!!

YeahByuddy
05-08-2016, 12:06 PM
Nice updates, I noticed the hpx need to be warm up. When cold bit like wooden brakes

fn2au
09-08-2016, 12:07 PM
how many kms?

nellfur
09-08-2016, 10:28 PM
Yeah I find the hpx the same, it doesn't seem to take too long to warm them up tho - I hated them in the Mx5

I think its done about 130000 now...